• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Pleading for advice from seasoned professional accordionists

Now that I'm truly advancing I greatly appreciate my JANKO Kbd layout.
Firstly, it's only 40cm long for 41 keys. For 61 keys it still would only be (40x61:41=) 60cm, whereas my Tyros Kbd with 61 keys measures 83cm in length! Thus, my JANKO offers me an even wider handspan.
Secondly, the JANKO's uniformity is incredibly advantageous, because it simplifies scale transposing and this accelerates my memory mapping acquisition, for the patterns of all scales are the same. Thus, I really feel progressing at a much faster rate than previously on my zebra piano accordion. Obviously, it is because I have to practice only 2 scales instead of 24 scales!
Also, my "Midi-fied" 120 button Stradella accordion bass allows me to focus solely on right-hand notes. So, in all, I'm very pleased with my novelty setup. It fulfilled my dream of: "creating a musical instrument setup that is easiest to learn and play". - It is the fastest way to Rome! :)

With all the JANKO advantages the thing that remains... is the acquisition of memory mapping and the only way to acquire it is by practicing 100's different melody patterns until one's memory is finally able to guide/ coordinate my fingers, just as it happens when I whistle a melody.

With all the JANKO advantages the thing that remains... is the acquisition of memory mapping and the only way to acquire it is by practicing 100's different melody patterns until one's memory is finally able to guide/ coordinate my fingers, just as it happens when I whistle a melody.
Doing something so often that it becomes totally automatic is the only effective way to be able to observe something and reproduce it without conscious input.
It is the way in which we mammals learn to be competent at anything, even learning to walk and talk.
Individuals each have their own capabilities in this as in any other endeavour, but part of the skill is in temporarily ignoring everything other than the task in hand - even if it is only momentary.
Not being afraid of failing, over and over again until the objective is attained is essential - Thomas Edison was apparently an expert at that ;-)

Thanks for that good Ffingers. So true!! - Actually, that's what I was aiming at (almost unwittingly) because I caught myself thinking of other things while playing and I made even fewer mistakes. Crikey!
The great thing with JANKO is that I'm not bothered with 22 different scales and fingerings, for my brain needs only to get used to one major and one minor scale and its chords. - I wished there would be a Piano Roll (like Synthesia) for my JANKO keyboard on Google Play Store, then I could even read and play Midi-files with my WYSIWYG notation.

Last edited:
The JANKO Kbd. layout is fairly contentious. I happen to call "progress" anything that is proven to better the existing state. - Of course, there's another factor that comes into play: that people, who gained practice in one system dislike adapting to advances, for it means 'relearning' and nobody likes that; albeit music teachers love it!
So, let's forget those, who already fell victim to the zebra piano layout and think of a hobby musician, seeking a musical instrument that is easiest to learn and play. That's how I invented and developed by setup and it really delivers the result I hoped for. It can't get any easier anymore!!
Yet, music teachers continue to convince hobby musicians that only a conservatorium education on a grossly irregular zebra piano Kbd. will get you there. - The question remains: Should we continue to sacrifice technical advances to complacency? Thanks to advances we now enjoy computers, modern airplanes, etc., and these advances apply as well to musical technology.
Well, since complacency in musical creativity is the norm, I have to put up with learning by ear with the help of App for my Android App; "Up Tempo" so far seems the best in this genre, because this App doesn't distort the melody. I would prefer to enjoy the WYSIWYG advantages of my JANKO notation, but for that, I need to find a progressive-thinking programmer.
Here are the advantages of my musical setup:
1) The accordion bass liberates me from chord learning since I already gained some accordion practice.
2) The JANKO Kbd. liberates from learning 22 additional, irregular scales & chords fingerings.
3) The JANKO piano roll offers WYSIWYG notation.
4) The whole setup is can be connected to any electronic Kbd. via MIDI, offering unlimited sound variations.

Since I depend on others to design a piano roll notation for my WYSIWYG JANKO notation and cannot find someone willing to take it on, I'll have to settle for the next best thing: i.e. forgetting about notation and using a melody slow-down App on my Android PAD to learn complicated melodies. There seems only one chance left for me to create that elusive JANKO notation myself:
Searching Google PlayStore I found a Piano Roll player, called "Piano Melody Tutorial" that has no lines and this enables me to create a physical template for the JANKO Kbd notation. Sadly, the piano roll score cannot be printed in its entirety. Thus, if I want to print it out I'll have to .jpg it and assemble all Pics. - Yet, faced with no Janko piano roll at all, this App seems a viable option to visually learn and play a JANKO notation.
For that, I need to create a template, such as drawing JANKO notation lines onto a transparent plastic sheet, attaching it to the Android PAD screen, and adjusting the Apps Kbd. size to fit.
Most Android TAB piano roll tutors wouldn't be able to do it, for its lines are designed to suit the grossly irregular zebra piano Kbd.
My JANKO Kbd. has white and dark-colored keys. Notes on the lines are on the dark JANKO keys and notes between the lines are on the white JANKO keys. Here's a picture of it what the transformed JANKO notation layout would look like.:

Attachments

• Piano Melody Tutorial.jpg
    Piano Melody Tutorial.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Now I thought up a new interesting learning method and realized it technically on my Tyros/JANKO equipment:
1) I attached my Android TAB to a TAB holder, right in sight.
2) On the Android TAB are downloaded melodies that I want to learn. In my headphones, I can hear the sound output from the Tyros and the Android tablet and practice at night without bothering anyone.
3) In the "Up Tempo" program the music speed is adjustable.
Result: I just gave it a test run for an hour... and it really works! - I chose a contrasting voice and I just kept playing along with one of my favorite melodies and kept repeating it at a slow speed until I got it right; later on I increase the speed.
Alone the fact that it is one of my favorite melodies makes learning far more exciting. The important thing is that I have the patience to continue doing it for as long as it takes and ...I sure have!
It seems that non of you ever applied this method, for I had to work it out for myself the hard way... (!!)
In the same way, I cured my Covid & prostate cancer without radiation & Chemo. - Secret: "Help yourself so helps you, God!" Thanks, jjj333! :)
Here is a picture of my new setup:

Attachments

• TY22.jpg
    TY22.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
It's too hard for people like me .. with two left hands! It was the organist Klaus Wunderlich that misled me to learn to play the accordion. It's a problem when one has not inherited a talent for it. - With my inherited whistling I have no such problems. It's, because my ancestors did all the hard work and I just falunt it... Here's an interesting accordion piece to which I twitter: https://app.box.com/s/mn2n4arwbxl348av012xwdvi8vr7iivy

If it will make an "advice", we think less and practice more. We write many things to sheet music to achieve them as habits, later go without sheet. If you do this with two keyboards side by side, you would do this with a real accordion (button or else) :)

I belief people, who need to practice a lot should give up to torture themselves with it...because they lack talent for it. They should rather focus on their inherited unique abilities or talents. We cannot have it all. Talented accordionists learn 10x faster and practice 20x less. Now I'm a young 82 y.o. and when I was younger, and street performing my whistling to music, people accused me of practicing a lot and haveing had a musical education. Nothing of the sorts! I just enjoyed doing it because it was the easiest thing for me to do with very little practice. Listenting to my recordings, I myself couldn't believe it's me whistling it... Here's another of my best pieces: https://app.box.com/s/u68q3fn26jtwb9673xbfc751mef4wq6e

I belief people, who need to practice a lot should give up to torture themselves with it...because they lack talent for it. They should rather focus on their inherited unique abilities or talents. We cannot have it all. Talented accordionists learn 10x faster and practice 20x less. Now I'm a young 82 y.o. and when I was younger, and street performing my whistling to music, people accused me of practicing a lot and haveing had a musical education. Nothing of the sorts! I just enjoyed doing it because it was the easiest thing for me to do with very little practice. Listenting to my recordings, I myself couldn't believe it's me whistling it... Here's another of my best pieces: https://app.box.com/s/u68q3fn26jtwb9673xbfc751mef4wq6e
Roger Whittaker would have enjoyed that.

Your whistle is very nice. Its not an easy thing I know. I m not a rigid person, we always believed in conservatory, talent is something to develop with knowledge and working on it. Adjusting the practice load is maybe the most important thing for everyone. People must practice according to their aims. You practice to make it a job, or make it a hobby. I m not in the job side for accordion too. With the internet culture, suddenly getting attention became the norm. There are much more ways in art.

Back