• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

New and asking for advice on a purchase!

OK!!! I HAVE MADE MY DECISION AND ORDERED DELIVERY!!!! Happy Birthday to me!! I am not gonna tell you all yest what it is...I will show ya when it gets here with a video or pic. I want to thank everyone again for your advice and...if you'd like, take a guess what I got!! Either the Wurlitzer, Pan Crucianelli, International Detroit, or Excelsior! Any guesses??!!
Congratulations on your decision! I am sure you will enjoy whichever one you chose!

For my guess, I will go with Excelsior.

OK!!! I HAVE MADE MY DECISION AND ORDERED DELIVERY!!!! Happy Birthday to me!! I am not gonna tell you all yest what it is...I will show ya when it gets here with a video or pic. I want to thank everyone again for your advice and...if you'd like, take a guess what I got!! Either the Wurlitzer, Pan Crucianelli, International Detroit, or Excelsior! Any guesses??!!
Congrats and looking forward to seeing and hearing your choice!

My personal tastes may be way different, but I'd be leaning torwards the Excelsior or the Crucianelli Pan if choosing from that group.

can't believe u bot another accordion ! I guess you can never have too many boxes !
No, no, this is my only one and it’s the first one I’ve had in over 15 years.😁 my other one was my grandfathers and I barely learned to play it a little before. It just broke too much to play and I got rid of it so I’m very excited.❗❗

Congratulations on your decision! I am sure you will enjoy whichever one you chose!

For my guess, I will go with Excelsior.
Excelsior!
Excelsior! Just because it demands an exclamation point!

As some know, I'm supposed to be an Excelsior pseudo-expert having been trained at the Excelsior factory in Italy -- yes - many years ago but still 'with it'..
Must declare somewhat of a conflict of interest as well since I was the company's rep in Canada, and still have my '54 Excelsior Symphony Grand in mint condition, as well as over 15 Excelsiors in my collection... including a few 'rockers' and a1934 Pietro Deiro model in excellent shape... Reason for contacting is that if you can obtain the serial no. on the back of the treble keyboard I may be able to help with its vintage if of interest to you.. BTW Magnante played a 4 rocker for years and since his son years ago operated a school/store in Florida... one never knows!! THAT would be a treasure... like finding a Steinway played by Van Cliburn... Good luck with whatever decision you make...

Next question for the wise men of this forum! Any suggestions on method books for accordion for someone who can already read piano music (but not accordion music, [of course I know all my chord names]), that advances quickly but thoroughly. I also would hope it would have instruction on how to use the bellows, buttons, etc. as an accordionist would, or a suggestion for another book/method on that as well.

I absolutely agree that personal lessons would be best, and I wish to look into that in the future, after I've restored by bank account from this purchase, but I of course want to get playin'! I probably should have ordered a method from Liberty while I was shopping, but I just ran out of money on it...

If books are not the answer or good fit for me, at least something that will instruct me how to use the thing without damaging the bellows or anything else. I know to store it upright on it's tush, keys parallel, and to not use the bellows without either the air hole or a note played, (at least I hope!) and I hate to keep bugging you guys for every little thing I have to ask. I am reading the forums and searching first, but not always with success..

COUNTING THE DAYS!!!!!!! supposed to be here by Wed....

Last edited:
Next question for the wise men of this forum! Any suggestions on method books for accordion for someone who can already read piano music (but not accordion music, [of course I know all my chord names]), that advances quickly but thoroughly. I also would hope it would have instruction on how to use the bellows, buttons, etc. as an accordionist would, or a suggestion for another book/method on that as well.

I absolutely agree that personal lessons would be best, and I wish to look into that in the future, after I've restored by bank account from this purchase, but I of course want to get playin'! I probably should have ordered a method from Liberty while I was shopping, but I just ran out of money on it...

If books are not the answer or good fit for me, at least something that will instruct me how to use the thing without damaging the bellows or anything else. I know to store it upright on it's tush, keys parallel, and to not use the bellows without either the air hole or a note played, (at least I hope!) and I hate to keep bugging you guys for every little thing I have to ask. I am reading the forums and searching first, but not always with success..

Two experts on most things accordion, Richard Galliano and his father Lucien have published a 'Method" which is aimed at PA and CBA 'C' griff students and which has accompanying sound samples downloadable.
It is published by Hal Leonard and is available via Amazon.

Don't apologize for enthusiasm. That's great!

I am neither a professional teacher or even great player but if you want to do a zoom to get the basics when you get your beast, just let me know by private message.

Somebody has to say Palmer-Hughes
Cheap and they work, just a bit old fashioned.

Yes it starts with how to read music, but it explains accordion notation.
It also works on how to play both hands together.
Book 1 just about covers those two.

I also did book 2 and then started on my own selection of books
eg.
"First 50 songs you should play on the accordion" Gary Meisner
"Easy Accordion Solos" Michel Lorin
"Musette - melodien"

Well, my accordion is coming tomorrow. I can’t wait❗️ I’m very excited and celebrating by 55 birthday today🎂

Well, my accordion is coming tomorrow. I can’t wait❗️ I’m very excited and celebrating by 55 birthday today🎂
My big accordion arrived at my door after 4 days or so but I wasn't there, so the postman left a card saying I could fetch it the next day at the post office. If only. It took about a month until I actually got a hold of it. Good thing I hadn't yet developed the appreciation for it that I have now.

Better luck to you!

Back