• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

New fella here, need advice for 1st accordion

Dungko

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I want to started playing accordion and joined this forum to understand it from scratch. Nice to meet you all!

That being said, I came upon a Hohner Starlet 40 on local thift store the other day. I was thinking this could be my first accordion. I want to ask opnions of the masters here before deciding whether to buy it or not. May I ask on which thread should I post this question? Thanks.

Welcome Dungko! Many people make the mistake of thinking that it may be a good idea to start out with a small accordion first (like the Starlet 40). With an accordion it is important that it fits right. Just like a coat needs to be the right size (you don't buy a coat made for a 10 year old) the accordion should be the right size. When it does not sit comfortably it is not comfortable to play and then you will soon give up. There are (relatively cheap) larger used starter accordions, with 96 or 120 bass buttons that fit an adult more comfortably. They have two voices (L and M for classical sound or M and M for musette sound) or just a bit higher (LMM which gives you both the classical and musette sound).
So in any case, try before you buy! And that's not just a matter of how well it works but also an importantly how well it fits you.

With an accordion it is important that it fits right
I agree in general, the accordion should „feel right“ as if it was a favourite shirt. However, I do own only small accordions and still find them comfortable and well-fitting. Since I mostly play standing up I like the lighter weight of a smaller instrument. So it always depends.

So, already it's clear that there is no single answer.
Any answer will depend on the question: "What's it for?"
The majority of accordions in the world are (almost certainly) not 96 or 120 bass but rather small portable, often non-piano type instruments.
I remember moving from an 8-bass 2-row to a 48-bass 3-row instrument.
It felt like strapping on a wardrobe.
Your Starlet won't break the bank but do make sure it works - take a friend.
(Later you will find that all accordion players need a small herd of instruments.)

Welcome Dungko! Many people make the mistake of thinking that it may be a good idea to start out with a small accordion first (like the Starlet 40). With an accordion it is important that it fits right. Just like a coat needs to be the right size (you don't buy a coat made for a 10 year old) the accordion should be the right size. When it does not sit comfortably it is not comfortable to play and then you will soon give up. There are (relatively cheap) larger used starter accordions, with 96 or 120 bass buttons that fit an adult more comfortably. They have two voices (L and M for classical sound or M and M for musette sound) or just a bit higher (LMM which gives you both the classical and musette sound).
So in any case, try before you buy! And that's not just a matter of how well it works but also an importantly how well it fits you.
Sorry for the slow response, just gt out of work. Thank you for the warm welcome, good sir! Also thank you for your insight, I was debating this internally since I've been looking for my first. I was thinking getting this because it's small size and lightweight. Since I traveled a lot for work, I was thinking I could bring this along sometimes. I tried it a little bit and it was nice, fits well. Then again, I haven't really operate bigger accordions. Also that lil' piece looks beautiful, albeit with noticable problems 😅. Here I'll show you. (couldn't get better pic)

IMG_20240403_205253.jpg IMG_20240403_205456.jpg IMG_20240403_205359.jpg IMG_20240403_205126.jpg

I also found some other used accordion with 120 key that is well within my price range. One of them is Settimio Soprani, but I haven't got more info from the seller. But I think It's 120 keys.

277113788_5041068495932463_1767957625490884812_n.jpg

I agree in general, the accordion should „feel right“ as if it was a favourite shirt. However, I do own only small accordions and still find them comfortable and well-fitting. Since I mostly play standing up I like the lighter weight of a smaller instrument. So it always depends.
True, many Accordionists on my country uses bigger accordions, thus sitting down more. Mainly for Malay songs and sometimes Chinese songs. However, smaller accordion looks quite nice and... I think it appears to be easier to master based on the number of their keys and bass buttons?

So, already it's clear that there is no single answer.
Any answer will depend on the question: "What's it for?"
The majority of accordions in the world are (almost certainly) not 96 or 120 bass but rather small portable, often non-piano type instruments.
I remember moving from an 8-bass 2-row to a 48-bass 3-row instrument.
It felt like strapping on a wardrobe.
Your Starlet won't break the bank but do make sure it works - take a friend.
(Later you will find that all accordion players need a small herd of instruments.)
YESSIR! I don't really have friends with musical expertise, and we don't have a lot of accordion community in my country (only one and they use it mainly to buy-sell accordions). So I'll have to rely on instinct (?) and advises online. I'll do my research first. Thank you.

For a small accordion the Starlet is much better built than most modern 48 bass instruments which are made in China, but often with Italian sounding names. Make sire it is airtight, and that every note sounds clear and clean. In it's size range the Starlet is one of the best you can find, as long as it is in good condition.

Hi Dungko
Welcome to the forum an greetings to Indonesia.
Don't regard myself as a master - but you already have a few opinions from some fellows who qualify for that title.
I know the Starlet and it's definitely one of the smallest (if not the smallest at all) from the old Hohner beginner instruments.
As I understand you're just about to start your accordion voyage, therefore it may be just good enough.
On the other hand you may reach it's limits too soon - depending on your sills and progress.
One level higher - Concerto II or II - would be my personal advice.

I think it appears to be easier to master based on the number of their keys and bass buttons?
Not really, since the Stradella bass has a very logical layout. It doesn't really matter whether you have 48 or 120 bass buttons if you consider technique and playability (buttons have the same size and distance). The difference is of course that you have more notes until you reach 72 bass buttons. After that you only have overlapping notes on the upper and lower edges, making long jumps unnecessary.

More keys/buttons on the treble side only mean more range, no difference in technique or playability at all.

More registers means more sound options, but that is not something you have to study to use. Just play with the register switches while practicing and you will soon get a feeling for which register fits which kind of music.

For a small accordion the Starlet is much better built than most modern 48 bass instruments which are made in China, but often with Italian sounding names. Make sire it is airtight, and that every note sounds clear and clean. In it's size range the Starlet is one of the best you can find, as long as it is in good condition.
Yessir, I try to play it a lil bit and it sounds fine. The it got rusts tho, and I haven't seen the inside. Most likely I'll have my work cut outta me if I take this Starlet

Hi Dungko
Welcome to the forum an greetings to Indonesia.
Don't regard myself as a master - but you already have a few opinions from some fellows who qualify for that title.
I know the Starlet and it's definitely one of the smallest (if not the smallest at all) from the old Hohner beginner instruments.
As I understand you're just about to start your accordion voyage, therefore it may be just good enough.
On the other hand you may reach it's limits too soon - depending on your sills and progress.
One level higher - Concerto II or II - would be my personal advice.
Hello PhiliGol! It is true I need to consider the future, this should be my investment. I will use this as my consideration. Thank you.

Not really, since the Stradella bass has a very logical layout. It doesn't really matter whether you have 48 or 120 bass buttons if you consider technique and playability (buttons have the same size and distance). The difference is of course that you have more notes until you reach 72 bass buttons. After that you only have overlapping notes on the upper and lower edges, making long jumps unnecessary.

More keys/buttons on the treble side only mean more range, no difference in technique or playability at all.

More registers means more sound options, but that is not something you have to study to use. Just play with the register switches while practicing and you will soon get a feeling for which register fits which kind of music.
Thank you for the explanation. It looks scary at first, but then again, every first step seems scary. I need to take it slow 😁

Back