• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!
Reaction score
Hello, and thanks to admin for admitting me! I am more experienced in other free-reeds (harmonicas, concertinas) but also have some hours in on button accordions of various configuration. Lately, I have been smitten by, of all things, the hand-bellowed HARMONIUM, and I know there are lots of folks here with experience on such. I just got (a month ago) an Indian 39 key, 3 voice with mechanical scale changer (9 pitches with the same fingering, like Irving Berlin's piano) which was very carefully set up and tuned by expert Bob Godfried in NYC and plays beautifully. I read with interest the threads that go something like, "How can I set-up a table-model accordion?" and the response is often, "Try a harmonium." While I am also obsessed with isomorphic keyboards (B and C system CBA, Janko/universal key systems, and the Wicki/Hayden layout) the sound of this has me back to trying to make sense out of piano keyboard. Eventually, I might even try to modify a harmonium to use an isomorphic keyboard, although my acoustic Hayden concertina and my electronic (iPad synths) Striso controller board give me plenty to work on in that regard. But I am an inveterate tinkerer.....

Anyway, I'll be a regular reader. Thanks again!

David

Hello, and thanks to admin for admitting me! I am more experienced in other free-reeds (harmonicas, concertinas) but also have some hours in on button accordions of various configuration. Lately, I have been smitten by, of all things, the hand-bellowed HARMONIUM, and I know there are lots of folks here with experience on such. I just got (a month ago) an Indian 39 key, 3 voice with mechanical scale changer (9 pitches with the same fingering, like Irving Berlin's piano) which was very carefully set up and tuned by expert Bob Godfried in NYC and plays beautifully. I read with interest the threads that go something like, "How can I set-up a table-model accordion?" and the response is often, "Try a harmonium." While I am also obsessed with isomorphic keyboards (B and C system CBA, Janko/universal key systems, and the Wicki/Hayden layout) the sound of this has me back to trying to make sense out of piano keyboard. Eventually, I might even try to modify a harmonium to use an isomorphic keyboard, although my acoustic Hayden concertina and my electronic (iPad synths) Striso controller board give me plenty to work on in that regard. But I am an inveterate tinkerer.....

Anyway, I'll be a regular reader. Thanks again!

David
Hey David,

Congrats on getting a harmonium. I'm a harmonium player.

Saw a deal on a local accordion and figured if the harmonium is so awesome an accordion would be too.

I have to admit that after playing my accordion for awhile it makes the harmonium seem tame. While you can't indefinitely maintain unbroken notes there is a whole lot more control of volume and rhythm with the two way bellows. You can play notes with both hands too!

Anyway, Just wanted to say hi to a kindred sprit. I'm planning on converting my accordion to a table mount for a fun project. Probably not going to meet too many other people in the world with that shared interest.

Cheers

Hey David,

Congrats on getting a harmonium. I'm a harmonium player.

Saw a deal on a local accordion and figured if the harmonium is so awesome an accordion would be too.

I have to admit that after playing my accordion for awhile it makes the harmonium seem tame. While you can't indefinitely maintain unbroken notes there is a whole lot more control of volume and rhythm with the two way bellows. You can play notes with both hands too!

Anyway, Just wanted to say hi to a kindred sprit. I'm planning on converting my accordion to a table mount for a fun project. Probably not going to meet too many other people in the world with that shared interest.

Cheers

Thanks for the note, paulywog. Yes, indeed, kindred spirits in this particular niche may, in fact, comprise the two of us! I got the harmonium at the Northeast Squeeze-In in Litchfield, CT early this month. It is a wild and crazy bunch of free-reed enthusiasts of many stripes; lots and lots of piano accordions, quite a few English concertinas, a few fewer Anglo concertinas, a handful of Duet Concertina players, a Chromatic Button accordion or two, and a bunch of diatonic button accordions, plus the odd harmonica and now, of course, an harmonium! I recommend the website (point your browser at NESI Squeeze-In) for lots of chat, but also great archival concert videos and audio files. Depending on your genre choices in music, there's most likely something for you. And, of course, a trip north and east in the fall has huge appeal for some from the southwest. Consider yourself a potential recruit!

I have fantasized about a table model accordion conversion, particularly because I want to come to grips with both the Stradella bass system, and the Chromatic Button Accordion keyboard, either C system or B system. But for now, the Harmonium has my attention and it makes me more likely to get better on the piano-style keyboard.

And, to the comparison of two-way bellows: I couldn't agree more about the extra "oomph" and control; in all the hand-held free-reed machines I have tried, the instant pressure change adds (or reduces) "punch" and expression. I suspect you'll know about concertinas, too, or you'll at least look at some information. Example: A two pound concertina played with both hands can dominate a session or lead an un-amplified singing session almost as commandingly as an accordion. I play (and love) both Anglo and Hayden-keyboard duet concertinas.

And last (I gotta ask everyone I "meet" in the music world) I wonder if you use any digital (midi controllers or electronic keyboards or such) because I see some considerable overlap in lots of ways, but won't burden you if you've no interest. Suffice to say I can pack an iPad, a controller keyboard, a small speaker, a battery pack and a mixer and headphones in a SHOEBOX for the ultimate micro-busking kit.

So, write if you've a mind, and thanks again for the note!

Thanks for the note, paulywog. Yes, indeed, kindred spirits in this particular niche may, in fact, comprise the two of us! I got the harmonium at the Northeast Squeeze-In in Litchfield, CT early this month. It is a wild and crazy bunch of free-reed enthusiasts of many stripes; lots and lots of piano accordions, quite a few English concertinas, a few fewer Anglo concertinas, a handful of Duet Concertina players, a Chromatic Button accordion or two, and a bunch of diatonic button accordions, plus the odd harmonica and now, of course, an harmonium! I recommend the website (point your browser at NESI Squeeze-In) for lots of chat, but also great archival concert videos and audio files. Depending on your genre choices in music, there's most likely something for you. And, of course, a trip north and east in the fall has huge appeal for some from the southwest. Consider yourself a potential recruit!

I have fantasized about a table model accordion conversion, particularly because I want to come to grips with both the Stradella bass system, and the Chromatic Button Accordion keyboard, either C system or B system. But for now, the Harmonium has my attention and it makes me more likely to get better on the piano-style keyboard.

And, to the comparison of two-way bellows: I couldn't agree more about the extra "oomph" and control; in all the hand-held free-reed machines I have tried, the instant pressure change adds (or reduces) "punch" and expression. I suspect you'll know about concertinas, too, or you'll at least look at some information. Example: A two pound concertina played with both hands can dominate a session or lead an un-amplified singing session almost as commandingly as an accordion. I play (and love) both Anglo and Hayden-keyboard duet concertinas.

And last (I gotta ask everyone I "meet" in the music world) I wonder if you use any digital (midi controllers or electronic keyboards or such) because I see some considerable overlap in lots of ways, but won't burden you if you've no interest. Suffice to say I can pack an iPad, a controller keyboard, a small speaker, a battery pack and a mixer and headphones in a SHOEBOX for the ultimate micro-busking kit.

So, write if you've a mind, and thanks again for the note!
The Squeeze-in looks like a ton of fun. It looks like they post sheet music everyone can learn ahead of time. I'm still pretty new to music and not very technically advanced so having the music to learn ahead of time would be ideal. That would be great. I imagine all those reeds singing at the same time is an awesome experience. I'll look into next years.

Your busking kit sounds awesome. I do have a midi controller (launchkey 49) and music production software (Ableton live). I love it. Need to get a smaller controller. You have inspired me.

Great to be of some humble service!

And yes, the "smart folks" at the Squeeze-In post "the dots" so any who can use them may do so. I a simple ear-learner, so the ones I get something out of are the "ABC" files, which I can then easily use to hear the tunes, while also reading along it I am so inclined.
When you are inclined, I'd like to hear how you use the launchkey, and with what hardware. What a world! And, do you use any of the "real-time" online jamming platforms? Jamkazam, Jamulus, and Sonobus have all worked for me, in different ways and different situation. In fact, I gotta go now to an "Americana" jam on Jamkazam....

Back