• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

New Member looking for information and advice

I just finished doing a functional check of all the keys and buttons and they all work fine and everything sounds like it is in tune to me (and my wife with a better musical ear than mine). I checked each key and button both pulling and pushing the bellows and after pushing each of the 3 levers in the front.

I never heard any hissing sounds but there were 2 keys at the very highest end that initially made a squeak or weak sound when I played them after first pushing the Bossanova and Clarinet keys. I simply played those notes 3 or 4 times with slightly stronger pulls and pushes and then they played completely normally. Not sure if that was normal- just because it had not been played in a while. Now everything plays normally and sounds great to us.

If you want to hear something funny- I didn't know how to wear the accordion so I initially put one of the straps over my head and the other over my shoulder. After nearly choking myself unconscious, my wife figured out that both straps go over the shoulders. That made things MUCH easier.
:sneaky:

Last edited:
I never heard any hissing sounds
I am no expert but from what I’ve read and have been told, you may not hear a hissing sound, but instead, as you push or pull (with no keys or buttons pressed) you may be able to close or open the bellows even without hearing air or a note sound. I was told a slight leakage may be reasonable but if excessive it should be fixed. Leakage may be from the bellows, the bellows seals, the pallets that feed air to the reed, or elsewhere, maybe even a through a crack somewhere. The accordion revival site has more on this:

JKJ

I just reduced the price to $425 and offered to pay the shipping (CONUS). I know it has to be worth at least that. If it doesn't sell, does anyone know if any high schools play an accordion? I have never seen one in a HS band, but maybe that might be an option to donate it to. I would just hate to put it back in the closet, that would be a waste. Thanks again

I just reduced the price to $425 and offered to pay the shipping (CONUS). I know it has to be worth at least that. If it doesn't sell, does anyone know if any high schools play an accordion? I have never seen one in a HS band, but maybe that might be an option to donate it to. I would just hate to put it back in the closet, that would be a waste. Thanks again
The problem is that one needs to look at the instrument to see what it's worth, otherwise it's a gamble. So local ads may make sense. Another is finding a person interested in the first place rather than as a bargain. We have mostly permanent members here who already have instruments as well as fly-by members of the "what is this instrument I want to sell worth?" kind. Occasionally the latter turn into the former. But it will generally end up easier buying an accordion here than selling it. Selling here may make sense if people know you, trust your judgment, and you have an instrument that is definitely (and not in the "I think so as someone not playing it" kind) in good state, or at least in an accurately described state.

In order to get the latter bonus, there might be some sense to give it to an accordion shop or technician to have it sold in commission. They will then be responsible for a reasonably reliable description. The markup they take for that service might be a good investment. Who will be interested in such an instrument in actually good state? This is sort of a show accordion, and makes good sense for self-accompaniment of singing. And it is a nice instrument for beginners.

I don’t believe any high school bands have accordion, but maybe a music director could identify a pupil that would be interested. 16” keyboard may be borderline too small for an average junior high student. I think it would be a great first instrument to the right young student, but they are few and far between. You might consider donating to an accordion teacher. That way it has a reasonable chance to get to someone that can really benefit from it.

If it doesn't sell, does anyone know if any high schools play an accordion? I have never seen one in a HS band, but maybe that might be an option to donate it

Excellent idea. (if its in good working condition) You might contact schools and even churches in your area and ask the music directors. Even though you may not see a accordion in a concert a teacher may know of a young person with an interest - and if the teacher has accordion experience they may offer to teach. I started playing the french horn in the 60's because such a high school band/orchestra director volunteered the time to give me lessons and loan a horn. I’ve played one ever since in school and church orchestras, brass quartet, and even a woodwind quintet (yes, a woodwind quintet has a horn!)

And donating may have rewards you never even hear about. When my son’s smaller cello was damaged just as he was ready to move to the next larger size we had it repaired and donated it to a grade school program as a loaner for kids with an interest in learning but no means to buy or even rent one. Who knows what life you might impact.

JKJ

Good luck Carroll, your pictures look good! I hope you have good success with your sale. Jerry’s suggestions are really good, it’s important for the prospective buyer to be able to see the reed condition and know if all notes work.

People often use a “pincer” tool like this to get the pins out (but smaller than the one I show). You can put some tape over the sharp part to help not scratch the surface. If you are not familiar with this type of operation, maybe ask a friend for help.
That tool is called a "bolt cutter" and as the name suggests it can be used to cut bolts, and that includes bellow pins! So to prevent cutting the bellow pins instead of grabbing them to pull them out it is best to grind out a (semicircular) bit on both halves, so that the bolt cutter goes around the bellow pin without cutting into it.

Reactions: Tom
That tool is called a "bolt cutter” and as the name suggests it can be used to cut bolts, and that includes bellow pins! So to prevent cutting the bellow pins instead of grabbing them to pull them out it is best to grind out a (semicircular) bit on both halves, so that the bolt cutter goes around the bellow pin without cutting into it.

FYI. Tools might be called by different names in different parts of the world. In this part we call the type Tom pictured “nippers”, “end-cutting nippers”, “end-cutting pliers”, or ”pincers” - I keep several here and besides cutting wires, nails, and things the larger ones are often used in carpentry and demolition to pull nails when the head is broken off or only a bit if the head is showing. (I have a special version, kept very sharp, used ONLY for trimming horse and donkey hooves.) The tools can be called anything, of course, but knowing the common names is helpful for searching to buy, say on places like Amazon. These are available in a variety of sizes - I have some with 14”-16” handles and a coule of small ones with 3” and 4” handles - great for working on electronic circuit boards to cut soft wire leads and for jewelry making/repair.

If I wanted some to pull accordion pins I‘d definitely look for small ones - then probably round over the sharp cutting edges and pointed corners with a file, diamond hone, and/or sandpaper. You probably couldn’t accidentally cut through a bellows pin with these if you tried:

IMG_0348.jpeg

If you ask for “bolt cutters”, at least in this part of the world, you’ll probably get something a lot stronger with well-hardened jaws, and long handles with compound action to provide enough leverage to cut through thick bolts, heavy chains, and pad locks - these are commonly used by both farmers and burglers. The ones I use (around the farm, I promise!) have handles about 36” long for lots of power. Bolt cutters here look something like this:

IMG_0346.jpeg

For pulling pins on accordions I’ve seen this tool used by an excellent accordion tech. It’s commonly called a tack or staple lifter or puller, sometimes used in upholstery work:

IMG_0347.jpeg

The one in my shop has a smooth, polished, curved back with no sharp edges to minimize surface damage while prying. If concerned it might mar the accordion finish a small piece of clear packing tape or something could be applied to the curved back surface. The nice thing about these is they are shaped just right to pry things up with gentle leverage by rocking the curved back against a surface.

JKJ

Last edited:
That tool is called a "bolt cutter"
FYI. Tools might be called by different names in different parts of the world. In this part we call the type Tom pictured “nippers”,
Well, while we're about it, we may as well have still another name 😄
Although an extensive tool box is well and good, bellows pins are easily removed by gripping the head firmly with a small (5") to medium sized pair of common, ordinary pair of pliers (keep clear of the celluloid) and twisting side to side slightly while withdrawing them. That's all I've ever needed.🙂
My personal impression is that pincers/bolt cutters/ end nippers ( you name it) are far more likely to damage the finish of the celluloid than are ordinary pliers.🙂

Last edited:
Back