• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

New Member looking for information and advice

Reaction score
Hello everyone from Southern Pines, NC,
My father-in-law left our family a neat looking accordion before he passed away in hopes that my son would learn how to play it (he is musically talented). Unfortunately, we never got any information about it and my son has moved on (literally) to new pursuits without ever getting the itch to learn the accordion. I have taken a few pictures of it that can be seen at this IMGUR website I am really hoping that someone might have some insight as to what we have, what it might be worth and where would be the best place to try to sell it. Our family has no desire to keep it and we are also downsizing into retirement.

All I really know is that it is a Giulietti with an ivory or mother of pearl look to it and the serial number 2384 on the bottom. After looking at some picture searches on Google, I think it might be an S32 or M32 ??

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Carroll

With the limited info we have in your post and the pics:
- Giulietti is a name of some (but not great) prominence, they make good accordions.
- This is a student model with limited registration.
- These are light and easy to play and make a pleasant sound.
- Places to sell accordions would be eBay, Craiglists, local music stores, perhaps local accordion clubs.
- Dollar value depends heavily on the point below here, but it won't be any great sum of money.
- Depending on how long it has been left un-played, even what sounds good to a novice would not mean that it does not need minimal to extensive service.

Accordions actually last longer if played regularly and stored in cool dry locations and degrade fast if improperly stored and not played for years, and are especially susceptible to mold, rusting reeds and internal mechanics and leather/plastic valves curling. Any couple of which could easily require work that exceeds the value of the acccordion.

With the limited info we have in your post and the pics:
- Giulietti is a name of some (but not great) prominence, they make good accordions.
- This is a student model with limited registration.
- These are light and easy to play and make a pleasant sound.
- Places to sell accordions would be eBay, Craiglists, local music stores, perhaps local accordion clubs.
- Dollar value depends heavily on the point below here, but it won't be any great sum of money.
- Depending on how long it has been left un-played, even what sounds good to a novice would not mean that it does not need minimal to extensive service.

Accordions actually last longer if played regularly and stored in cool dry locations and degrade fast if improperly stored and not played for years, and are especially susceptible to mold, rusting reeds and internal mechanics and leather/plastic valves curling. Any couple of which could easily require work that exceeds the value of the acccordion.
Thank you Jerry. It has always been stored in a cool dry place in its case but it has not been played in the past several years. It appears to be very clean though, almost like new.

It has 4 black dots in the circle. I
Yes, that's what I thought.
Well, that's puzzling, as it suggests the accordion has 4 voices, in which case it should have a total of 9 couplers not three.
Perhaps one of our morel knowledgeable members can comment ?πŸ€”

Yes, that's what I thought.
Well, that's puzzling, as it suggests the accordion has 4 voices, in which case it should have a total of 9 couplers not three.
Perhaps one of our morel knowledgeable members can comment ?πŸ€”
If I see this correctly, there is one coupler with a top dot (H), one with a middle (M), and one with 4 dots (LMMH). If I had to guess, I'd think this to be a two-voice accordion in MH arrangement, with an exaggerated master button. While I've had an accordion with less registers than possible (I think it was L, M, H, LMH, LH), making just 3 registers from 4 reeds in LMMH arrangement seems very stingy.

I wish you the best of luck, Carroll. I love these small, yellow key accordions. Around here (Wisconsin), if this accordion is in decent playing condition, I would price it to move at $150 - $200. If in impeccable condition and I’m in no hurry, up to $300 - $400. Don’t you have the urge to play it? It’s really easy to play these small accordions and people here will help you.

I understand. In my humble opinion desire to play beats talent any day. But if you have no desire to play it, no amount of talent will make a difference. And you are a wonderful person for trying to get it to someone who will love it and make beautiful music. Good luck!!!!

In addition to the previous comments about functional condition, another thing a potential buyer would like to know is the physical length of the keyboard. Based on some of the proportions I would think this is a smaller instrument for child sized fingers and likely has a keyboard length less than 18 or even 17 inches.

In addition to the previous comments about functional condition, another thing a potential buyer would like to know is the physical length of the keyboard. Based on some of the proportions I would think this is a smaller instrument for child sized fingers and likely has a keyboard length less than 18 or even 17 inches.
The width of just the keys is 16" and if you add in the non-movable sides, it is 17".

where would be the best place to try to sell it.
Many accordions in my neighbourhood are sold via pawnbrokers.
Others have been sold through advertising in the local newspapers/ newsletters.
Some through displaying them for sale in a local music shop or a shop window in the Main Street.πŸ™‚
There's also the social media, eg Facebook.

You have just confirmed Ben-jammin'a thoughts on the matter: 16" across ( edgewise, across the keys only) makes it a youths' ( or ladies') model.πŸ™‚
Don't knock the ladies' models: they are a nice size for self-accompaniment even for ladies in men's sizes:
xmas2008crop.jpg
You see the lady's size accordion on the right. I sold this Contello with the sweetest M sound imaginable (could be that the leather valves had something to do with it) when I changed to CBA. You don't really need a special lady size for CBA: they can be quite compact with regular button distances. That's the one that had 5 registers for LMH disposition.

Thanks everyone for your information. I wish I understood the Accordion jargon being used here but that is okay. So far, I have heard price ranges from $150 up to seeing one similar to this sold for $800. I don't like using eBay so I will list it here on this forum some time next week after I take some better pictures. I guess if I am asking too much and it doesn't sell, I will just drop the price each week until someone wants it. I really appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks everyone for your information. I wish I understood the Accordion jargon being used here but that is okay. So far, I have heard price ranges from $150 up to seeing one similar to this sold for $800.
Sorry for the jargon, happens when a discussion devolves into smalltalk. There are probably glossaries somewhere. At any rate, the lady-size on the picture I showed went for about $800, but it was in perfect shape and larger and sold through an accordion vendor (in commission). I think it would be a good idea to find someone who can better describe and test your accordion in your vicinity in order to get a better guess at its value. Instruments want to get played: selling it at a bargain price should not worry you too much unless it causes the recipient to consider and treat it as rubbish.

Unfortunately, I have zero musical talent.

Oh don't get started on one of my patented "musical talent is largely a myth and the appearance of such supposed 'talent' is really the result of lots of behind-the-scenes hard work and perseverance" soapbox speeches! :)

If you think you'd enjoy playing it, you can totally learn to do so. I guarantee it will be more rewarding that whatever money you'd get for selling it. Although I suppose we are all a wee bit biased around here!

Oh don't get started on one of my patented "musical talent is largely a myth and the appearance of such supposed 'talent' is really the result of lots of behind-the-scenes hard work and perseverance" soapbox speeches!
In a nutshell: obsession beats talent every day after the first.

Back