• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

New member here in need of Help, please!

BWL

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have inherited a Victoria Accordion and was hoping someone could help me out by telling me information about it.

Thank you!
Barbara AnnIMG_0474.jpegIMG_0475.jpegIMG_1630.jpegIMG_0478.jpegIMG_1633.jpegIMG_0476.jpegIMG_1635.jpegIMG_1637.jpegIMG_0473.jpegIMG_0485.jpeg

Welcome Barbara Ann,

That looks a nice accordion and a super instrument to have inherited. I'm no expert and there'll be lots of folks (better informed than me) along soon to tell you more about the accordion and the maker. All of them will say that what really matters is what it is like inside, and ask for photos! I'll leave the others to advise you how to open it up but meanwhile do consider learning to play it - if it is in as good condition inside as it is outside it will be an excellent accordion to own and play.

Good luck,
David

Welcome!

Victoria is well known brand that is still in business. They used to build the Titano branded accordions. Yours appears to have 3 sets of treble reeds with a low, a middle and a high set. Even the student grade instruments made by Victoria are good quality. I can’t assume by the outside what “grade” of reeds are contained within, but even the more modest spec “export” grade reeds are very decent. I suspect your instrument is from 60s 70s time frame but I could be mistaken. Having LMH reeds means this is a “dry” accordion and will not do the wet tremolo sound used in different ethnic music. I would think it would be worth having this instrument evaluated by an accordion repair person. they can confirm functional condition (which can never be assumed by exterior condition) and what the instruments specs are.

Welcome Barbara Ann,

You have a very nice accordion there. Thank you for the detailed photos; so many others send one or two out of focus shots while yours allow others to evaluate the accordion.
It appears to be a 1960's or 1970's model judging by the case and the labels on the registers, the metal bellows straps and the grille. It's a 3 reed model, so it's not a professional model but the palm switch indicates something a little better than entry level. The straps appear to be in very good condition, at least the parts showing in your photos so it probably means that this instrument wasn't played very much which would be evident with worn straps. The bellows and the body are not scratched or worn and this would also indicate light usage along with the entry level accordion books.
Hopefully you'll keep it for yourself as it may have sentimental value but it might command a reasonable but modest price if you sell it. I can't tell you how much it may be worth because that depends on your local market and the availability of potential purchasers. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Welcome Barbara Ann,

That looks a nice accordion and a super instrument to have inherited. I'm no expert and there'll be lots of folks (better informed than me) along soon to tell you more about the accordion and the maker. All of them will say that what really matters is what it is like inside, and ask for photos! I'll leave the others to advise you how to open it up but meanwhile do consider learning to play it - if it is in as good condition inside as it is outside it will be an excellent accordion to own and play.

Good luck,
David
Hi David,
Thank you for the Welcome!
My son in law actually just played this accordion a couple weeks ago on November 1st…we had a small gathering for a 2 yr memorial for the passing of my husband (this was his) I can say: It played and sounded smooth like butter…if that makes since☺️

Welcome Barbara Ann,

You have a very nice accordion there. Thank you for the detailed photos; so many others send one or two out of focus shots while yours allow others to evaluate the accordion.
It appears to be a 1960's or 1970's model judging by the case and the labels on the registers, the metal bellows straps and the grille. It's a 3 reed model, so it's not a professional model but the palm switch indicates something a little better than entry level. The straps appear to be in very good condition, at least the parts showing in your photos so it probably means that this instrument wasn't played very much which would be evident with worn straps. The bellows and the body are not scratched or worn and this would also indicate light usage along with the entry level accordion books.
Hopefully you'll keep it for yourself as it may have sentimental value but it might command a reasonable but modest price if you sell it. I can't tell you how much it may be worth because that depends on your local market and the availability of potential purchasers. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thank you for the details in your comment, it did help with me understanding more about this accordian. I do know that my father in law purchased this more then 30yrs ago while he was in Europe. It was passed on to my husband 9 yrs ago after his daddy passed away and I inherited it when my husband passed 2yrs ago. It was just played by my son in law 2 weeks ago at a 2yr memorial gathering that we had for my husband…a few folks there said it sounded smooth like butter☺️
Unfortunately I do not plan on keeping this! I have been offered $1,000. for it but I’m not sure if that is to much or to low of an offer and not sure who or where I could take it to find out…
Barbara Ann

1000 is reasonable for buyer and seller

that price allows you to know someone will be using the accordion
for it's purpose, as they have invested a good sum, and you can
do more with 1000 than you can with an accordion

of course, with great effort, the price could be more, it also
could be less, as there are many variables and many many
parts in an old accordion

leave a week or two for someone on here to offer more
if that will help you be more comfortable

I agree 100% with Ventura. If someone is willing to buy it “as is” at that price from a private seller, I think you’re doing pretty good and know it’s going to a home that values it.

on the possibility of an offer of "more" from someone here..

Victoria is a desirable brand, and a principal brand name.

features that may mark this as a better model :

dual backstrap mounts high and low for better balance than a student model

curved bass chamber cover for more comfortable movement when
playing for hours and hours

palm shift for quickly/smoothly returning to Master setting during performance
without having to lift the fingers off of the notes

"Stroller louvres" on Bass section, borrowed from Titano/Pancordion Patents,
to enhance the players performance ability when performing in a noisy environment

4 bass shifts suggest a full 5 reedblock Bass
(Student models would have 3 shifts maximum)

perfectly even keys, closely spaced, suggesting a Walnut Kilned wood base material

and most suggestive,
17 fold Bellows which allows for longer passages without directional shift
and seldom seen on standard models

unknown possible features suggested by the above :

if this is indeed a Stroller, the keyboard MAY have a dual pivot
(the small oval Chrome cover would have to be removed to see)

if this is indeed a Stroller, one reedset may be in a Tone Chamber
(remove front grillwork to see the key-action mechanism)

if this is indeed a chambered Stroller, it likely has the more expensive Pro quality reeds

i add this information as there are members here who rather like
Victoria's, and rather like to play Jazz, and so give them some confidence
to perhaps take a chance.. this may very well be worth them making a
better offer than $1000 and driving to Carolina to get it..

it would be an equivalent to my Tonaveri Ranger if it has these features,
and as the old Sonola's are all worn out, it is not easy getting ones hands on
a true Stroller anymore

good luck to all !

In the words of the esteemed Steven Miller, “Take the money and run!”

1000 is reasonable for buyer and seller

that price allows you to know someone will be using the accordion
for it's purpose, as they have invested a good sum, and you can
do more with 1000 than you can with an accordion

of course, with great effort, the price could be more, it also
could be less, as there are many variables and many many
parts in an old accordion

leave a week or two for someone on here to offer more
if that will help you be more comfortable

Thank you so much for your reply (this one & your reply below!
I know this was purchased for $8200. brand new and has barely been played. With being a recent widow and not really knowing Anything about accordions, I have no clue what price to ask or what offer amount to except. Right now between being emotionally hurting in my heart for my husband and being financially unstable, I just don’t want to be taken advantage of by someone knowing exactly the value of what this accordion may be worth…like purchasing it from me for $1000. and then turning around and selling it for 3 times more…if that makes sense.
My sweet husband was a collector of old coins, sterling silver pieces and old china and now it’s all been left up to me to try and figure out how and what to sell it all for before I loose our home that we started in 37yrs ago…I’ve been dealing with stress and migraines for a while!😞

Anyways,
Thank you again for all your help with the different information that you’ve listed…Greatly Appreciated!!

Barbara Ann

I know this was purchased for $8200. brand new and has barely been played. With being a recent widow and not really knowing Anything about accordions, I have no clue what price to ask or what offer amount to except. Right now between being emotionally hurting in my heart for my husband and being financially unstable, I just don’t want to be taken advantage of by someone knowing exactly the value of what this accordion may be worth…like purchasing it from me for $1000. and then turning around and selling it for 3 times more…if that makes sense.
My sweet husband was a collector of old coins, sterling silver pieces and old china and now it’s all been left up to me to try and figure out how and what to sell it all for before I loose our home that we started in 37yrs ago…I’ve been dealing with stress and migraines for a while!😞

Anyways,
Thank you again for all your help with the different information that you’ve listed…Greatly Appreciated!!

Barbara Ann
So sorry to hear this and feel bad for your situation. The fact that it cost that much new makes a difference. Maybe take your time, seek new venues for the sale, even in this forum.

Anyways,

Barbara Ann
Considering it was 30 years ago $8200 (CAD I assume) was a very high price for this accordion when new. At that time I would expect you could buy a 4 voice model with double cassotto for that amount of money. I'm sorry to say but for this 3 voice model $8200 was way too much at the time and just indicates the accordion must have been bought from a dealer who wanted to get rich too quickly. I bought a (new) 5 voice double cassotto Bugari accordion just under 25 years ago for what must roughly translate to around 5000 CAD at the time. Victoria was always a bit more expensive and more exclusive, so let's assume that a similar Victoria (which did not exist and still does not exist) would have been 6000... that implies that the 3-voice accordion being shown here cannot have been worth more than 5000 CAD in any case, 30 years ago.
For an accordion like this the $8200 CAD is the absolute maximum I would expect this accordion to cost new *today*, not 30 years ago.
The offer you got for $1000 is very much in line with what a 3 voice (and certainly an LMH configuration model) that's 30 years old would go for around here, when bought as is from a private person, not knowing how much work it will need in maintenance and tuning.

It was purchased in Europe before adoption of the Euro currency. Is it possible the original price was not converted to USD accurately. As Paul points out that would be an exceptionally high price for a new accordion at the time.

So sorry to hear this and feel bad for your situation. The fact that it cost that much new makes a difference. Maybe take your time, seek new venues for the sale, even in this forum.
Tom,
I really Appreciate your kind words,
Thank you very much!!

And I was unaware that I could list the Accordion for sell in this group.
If you do not mind me asking you for help with it.. are you able to direct me where I would list it in the Forum?
And if this was your Accordion, how would you list it…(wording/description) please.

Thank you!
Barbara Ann

Hi Barbara Ann,

Yes, you can list it in the Marketplace section of this forum, under “Accordions and Accessories for Sale.

I’m sorry I can’t help with wording right now because it’s turkey time here, but if you look through the listings you’ll get some ideas. Other people will chime in. Important things to mention include the condition of the accordion, size, number of voices in the bass and treble, brand, whether it had cassotto and handmade reeds, age, etc.

Barbara Ann, there should be two thumb screws holding the grill panel above the piano keys. If you could supply a picture of the mechanics under this panel we can confirm whether or not the unit has a tone chamber (cassotto). Having that confirmed would make it more desirable. The panel should come off fairly easily without any tools. Ideally a prospective purchaser would also like to see the reeds but that is a little more involved disassembly.

Hi Barbara Ann,

Yes, you can list it in the Marketplace section of this forum, under “Accordions and Accessories for Sale.

I’m sorry I can’t help with wording right now because it’s turkey time here, but if you look through the listings you’ll get some ideas. Other people will chime in. Important things to mention include the condition of the accordion, size, number of voices in the bass and treble, brand, whether it had cassotto and handmade reeds, age, etc.
Tom,
Thank you for the help and information on the Forum pages…I will check it out!
And I’m truly sorry, I actually forgot about it being Thanksgiving today🤦🏻‍♀️
Happy Thanksgiving!!

Barbara Ann, there should be two thumb screws holding the grill panel above the piano keys. If you could supply a picture of the mechanics under this panel we can confirm whether or not the unit has a tone chamber (cassotto). Having that confirmed would make it more desirable. The panel should come off fairly easily without any tools. Ideally a prospective purchaser would also like to see the reeds but that is a little more involved disassembly.
Ben,
Thank you for that information, I will see if I can get the panel off tomorrow and post some more pictures for you to look at.
If you can explain to me in (steps) on where and what to take off to get pictures of the reeds, I will also see if I can do that and send pictures to you of the reeds as well…

Thank you!
Barbara Ann

Back