• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

New Member Northern California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnaud

Reaction score
Greetings all. New to accordion (about to take my fourth weekly lesson). Live in Fair Oaks (near Sacramento) and have always loved accordion. Took my wife to the Cotati Accordion Festival back in 2002 or so when we lived in Petaluma, CA (chicken town). She never forgave me, ha ha. But I loved it and will return this year on day 2. Eager to see Intuitive Compass duo play in person. See some of you there?

Hi Arnaud, when I was younger my job brought me a few times to Garden Valley, but that's more on the road to Reno, somewhere between Auburn and Placerville, IIRC ... It's a small world! Last time I was there should be about 20+ years ago or so ...

Welcome Arnaud!

Hey Arnaud. I was eyeing the Cotati Accordion Festival online and thinking how fun that would be. Just not sure whether I will venture it this year, given the current plague upon the land. A hard choice though, because I'd like to support it and help ensure it continues in subsequent years. Alas, don't think I could ever get the hubby to go. I suspect he still hasn't quite forgiven me for the chickens...

Hi Arnaud, unfortunately, same here. It *was* in the plans, however, with this new 4th wave of the delta variant of covid, no way we can chance to risk it. Maybe next year!

Hi Arnaud, unfortunately, same here. It *was* in the plans, however, with this new 4th wave of the delta variant of covid, no way we can chance to risk it. Maybe next year!
Well. I was all set to go but my wife definitely had misgivings re: COVID variants and I myself had some worry. I bought my ticket online Saturday late and checked the player schedule. I was dismayed to see that Intuitive Compass had dropped their Sunday gig and would only be playing on Saturday. Still my teacher planned to be there with some of his senior students to play at the Sunday morning showcase of students so I still figured I would go. Unfortunately a new medication I'm on has had an unpleasant side effect and trying to spot a bathroom every few miles during a 2 hour journey seemed risky and probably not much fun. I headed out to risk it, but less than a few miles into the journey turned back. My plan next year is to take a few days off from work, head up the day before the festival starts, book a hotel room, and have a place to retreat to as needed. I'll find out this Friday when I have my accordion lesson what my teacher thought of the event this year.

Welcome aboard.

No travel in my immediate future. In fact turned in a $299 10-rides-anywhere-in-the-country Amtrak pass for a refund last week that I had bought in June, since things had gone downhill enough I didn't want to spend several days in the company of strangers, even masked.

As for Cotati - I have never been (perhaps Leavenworth, WA next year - I'd be surprised if California in summer ever happens) but I DO have a happy memory of a college friend who had a slot on the student radio station a few decades ago... she always played one polka per night, right at the stroke of midnight. She introduced me (and the rest of the University of Alaska) to Polkacide with the Wiener Dog Polka, her first night on the air. The rest of the semester was all downhill from there.

My teacher was going too. He makes a lot of contacts for repair work there. I'll find out Sunday what he thought. Shooting for next year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back