• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Need help understanding MIDI expanders for Elmat accordion

Reaction score
Ok this is going to be full of silly questions, I'm not very good with the techy side of things...

I've recently purchased an old Hohner Electravox fitted with Elmat MIDI. I understand that I need to get an expander in order for it to make any sounds. Is this a separate piece of hardware, or can I download it?

As a guitar player I already have a few bits and bobs that take MIDI input (Focusrite Scarlett USB interface, Behringer Powerplay P1, Zoom multipedal) I've used VSTs on Cubase and Reaper when recording my electric drum kit too.

Can I somehow use what I've already got, or do I need to buy something new before my accordion arrives?

1. MIDI expanders are mostly hardware, but if you have enough money and have a strong computer, you can use software solutions, however these are generally more complex, harder to set up and not as portable.

2. The Hohnervox is an older acoustic/analog electronic accordion that without the accessory electronics won't make any factory sounds. Because of time most of these likely no longer are functional. We're looking at late 70's early 80's model.

3. You can try to google Elmat MIDI and see what you can find. A 30 second search and I found THIS site, which may be a good place for you to start your search. :)

The eBay listing you've linked to is actually what I've purchased! All the old electronics in the Electravox have been removed and replaced with the Elmat system, so it should be all ready to go, minus the expander.

It comes with a manual for the Elmat MIDI, but I just wanted to see if there's something I need to buy before it arrives so I can dive right in šŸ˜„

A cool coincidence. Now... did any of the "old stuff" power the midi somehow? If not, you are good to go.

Ask John Farlowe of Elmat to advice you .and if you don't know how to set it up ask him to help you.....you will need an expander. Connected via midi to play the electronic sounds and accomps.. Remember there are no sounds in the accordion .it all has to come from an external module,keyboard . Good luck

Elmat is a good system...just get a sound module and you're good to go...I trust you have the power lead and din lead to connect everything
I use Elmats set up...it's excellent

ā€¦ I already have a few bits and bobs that take MIDI input (Focusrite Scarlett USB interface, Behringer Powerplay P1, Zoom multipedal) I've used VSTs on Cubase and Reaper when recording my electric drum kit too.

Can I somehow use what I've already got, or do I need to buy something new before my accordion arrives?

Connect your accordion with MIDI In (DIN 5 pin) of your Scarlett.
Launch Cubase, open a ā€œnew projectā€, add a new ā€instrument trackā€, set this to accept ā€œall inputsā€, load your favorite VSTi (as a start you can use the included Halion), choose an accordion or piano or organ sound in Halion. Now you should be able to hear something if you play the accordion. If not check if the ā€œlevel metersā€ of the Cubase track and within Halion show any signals when you play the accordion. If not experiment with different MIDI Channels.

If still no success ask (me) again. Eventually provide screenshots of what does/doesnā€™t work.

This should be a good start if you are listening with headphones. If you want music in the room buy a pair of decent computer speakers. Or in case you have a PA at hand, connect that to the computer.

If you feel comfortable with using a computer as sound expander you can then invest in VST instruments of your liking. If the computer is too fiddly or uncomfortable or unreliable, look in this forum or elsewhere for suggestions on external hardware expanders.

Last edited:
Back