• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

FR-8X, Need Help On How To Tighten The Upper Strap Bracket

John M

Site Supporter
Reaction score
The upper strap bracket on my 8X is loose. I need to get in and tighten the nuts that secure the bracket. I have removed the “logo” cover and the cover with the 14 register switches. I need to remove the keyboard assembly to get to the nuts on the bracket. I have removed the 8 screws that the service manual shows holding it on. I try to lift the keyboard out, but something still seems to be holding it in. I can get a screwdriver in between the keyboard and the body of the 8X. It lifts a little. I don’t want to pry too hard for fear of breaking something.

Has anyone removed the keyboard or had to tighten the upper strap bracket? Maybe I’m going about this the wrong way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry I can't help John, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the answers.
I notice you have the service manual?
Is this downloadable anywhere? I would love to get hold of a copy for future reference.

this sounds like the infamous model Cadillac that you had to disassemble
and remove the entire bumper section to change the $1.00 Stop light bulb

at this point, personally, i might pop the bellows and look to
see if i could just mount new strap brackets in a different location,
and mount them better while i was at it

Thanks JohnM,
The link shows all the available manuals but there seems no way to download them.
I pressed the "contact" button but nothing happens. Maybe that have closed down
2) The "Contact Us" link in the masthead opens your mail app. (Mine, anyway. I used Safari on iPadOS 17.2.)

1) Yes, quite a long list. I wonder if it's a list of all the website offers or a list of all that the website would like to offer. However, I noticed no difference in behavior (just nothing) when trying different colors or the model numbers preceding those.

[...]
1) Yes, quite a long list. I wonder if it's a list of all the website offers or a list of all that the website would like to offer. However, I noticed no difference in behavior (just nothing) when trying different colors or the model numbers preceding those.

I wrote them an email saying that I am interested in 3 manuals and asked how to proceed.
Will post their answer if any.

I wrote them an email saying that I am interested in 3 manuals and asked how to proceed.
Will post their answer if any.

As @John M already experienced they asked for a small "donation" via Paypal friends. The manuals were then shared as PDFs via WeTransfer download service within 5 minutes.

2) The "Contact Us" link in the masthead opens your mail app. (Mine, anyway. I used Safari on iPadOS 17.2.)

I'm afraid the"contact us" link does nothing at all when I try it

Back to the topic of my Post. I finally got the upper strap bracket tightened. I took it to Capital Accordion (Tim Swanson, owner) in Columbus. Ohio. Tim fixed it while I was there. There was well over 30 screws that had to be removed and all the connecting cables from the keyboard to the 8X body. Then he could finally get to the loose nuts and tighten them. Also, the lower strap bracket was not loose, but those nuts easily took another ¼ turn to be tight. I think, after the strap brackets were installed at the factory, there was not a final tighten/check on the nuts.

Tim had several acoustic accordions in for tuning/repair. He worked for several years as a technician at Liberty Bellows and recently moved to Columbus to start Capital Accordion. If you need accordion repair/tuning and are anywhere in the Ohio area, I highly recommend Tim.

Back