• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

FR-8X, Need Help On How To Tighten The Upper Strap Bracket

one of the early bones of contention between me and Roland and
something i eventually caused them a considerable amount of
embarrassment over, and i see after perusing the service manual
(ty jerry)
that while a few areas are improved, they STILL to this day drive screws
directly into the plastic in many areas to hold things together

contrast this with a $20 DVD player for your home entertainment center..
the Chinese built device has metal threaded inserts embedded into the
plastic so that the device can be easily dis-assembled and re-assembled
without damage or loss of body integrity

contrast this with these expensive accordions, screws directly into plastic,
which implies that these are intended by design to go through repair no more than
one time (if even that)

therefore, a device intended as disposable once it passes it's basic life cycle

even the speakers are held in with screws through plastic, though there is
a bit of stick-um around the edges too

plastic distends similar to particle board when you drive an graduated inclined plane
into it. The resulting threads created by this force are not particularly stable
as the material has basically been stressed toward fracture level. particularly if the
powered screwing device used during assembly was not calibrated perfectly.

this was famously noted with multiple bass strap failures, as well as bass
section housing fractures, due to improperly torqued screws on the original
run of FR3 models

it is appalling to me that even after raising the prices into the stratosphere
initially with the FR8, they still, with foreknowledge, chose to continue to
use this piss-poor method of build. It would take minimal investment
(if the Chinese can do it on $20 retail electronics devices, so could Roland)
to build these accordions to LAST, or, at least, have half a chance to last.

but lets see.. historically they never did support these products
with any real effort toward available spare parts, circuit boards, sub assemblies...
on the contrary, even the disposable wear-out items like spare Battery packs
were at times impossible to get from Roland.. perhaps they never intended,
from the outset, to see these devices last beyond the warranty period.

Hi John, thanks so much for the shout out!

Ventura, in defense of Roland, the strap brackets were threaded through metal brackets on the inside so it's more than just the plastic doing the heavy lifting. But, maybe more to your point, something as simple as the strap bracket should be much more accessible than having to remove 4 layers of components before you are able to get to it.

Dingo, loctite would have been a very good idea, unfortunately I didn't think about it at the time.

Do you have a manual for the FR4?
Sorry I do not, I found the one for the 8X for myself, and saw others that likely picked it up from the same place as myself and then charged for it. An action that kind of irks me. If I did I'd love to offer it to you. Maybe someone else has it here?

Dingo, loctite would have been a very good idea, unfortunately I didn't think about it at the time.
It would not work that well. The material is porous and loctite works best with a metal to metal contact. I tried with mine, and its a SLIGHT improvement, but it's no great help. I would just avoid the red loctite, it could possibly attack the plastics.

The FR7 was different. It was surface mounted with 3 small screws. The bracket would break sometime. Took it to a jeweler. They brazed it for 12$…

It would not work that well. The material is porous and loctite works best with a metal to metal contact. I tried with mine, and its a SLIGHT improvement, but it's no great help. I would just avoid the red loctite, it could possibly attack the plastics.
If my 8X strap bracket loosens up again, I would try get a Nylon insert self locking nut. The existing nut is very fine thread (I believe it is metric), but if available, that should be the solution.

I'm confident Tim tightened it properly this time. I shouldn't have any problems.

Back