• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

What style/genre is this?

Harrytulipan

Reaction score
What style/genre is this?
The tune is written by Evert Taube who travelled to Argentina.
I am not very familiar with Latin styles.
It is a tune that refers to what you see in video nr 2.
Video nr 1 sounds very much like Latin in that it uses what to me can sounds a bit like playing too much in the accompaniment. But I know too little about Latin. It sounds a bit strange to me.

Last edited:
Harry
Very pleasant, thanks for sharing 🙂
I guess, here, we would call it "the bullocky's song"🙂.*
The two renditions have different time signatures.
I can't help you with the first version but I would say the second is in 4/4 time🤔🙂.
*bullocky
/ˈbʊləki/
noun
INFORMAL•HISTORICAL
noun: bullocky; plural noun: bullockies
  1. a bullock driver.

Last edited:
Harry
Very pleasant, thanks for sharing 🙂
I guess, here, we would call it "the bullocky's song"🙂.*
The two renditions have different time signatures.
I can't help you with the first version but I would say the second is in 4/4 time🤔🙂.
*bullocky
/ˈbʊləki/
noun
INFORMAL•HISTORICAL
noun: bullocky; plural noun: bullockies
  1. a bullock driver.
So the style doesn't have a specific Argentinian name?

Sorry, I seem to have misled you. I'm just translating the title: I don't know what the style is.🙂

I found this: You hear him play the groove at 6:15 but he doesn't do it the correct way or it they guys in video nr1 do it the wrong way.

I have search on youtube for the correct way of playing a samba groove but people seem not to agree on what the correct way is.

I have search on youtube for the correct way of playing a samba groove but people seem not to agree on what the correct way is.
Welcome to the wonderful world of music... where hard coded definitions are rarely defined. Everyone is allowed to play things how they want and even call it what they want. :)

Samba: a Brazilian dance of African origin.
Beguine: a popular dance of West Indian origin, similar to the foxtrot

Funny that according to Webster's dictionary neither appear to be very related to anything latin... lol

Such is music!

Welcome to the wonderful world of music... where hard coded definitions are rarely defined. Everyone is allowed to play things how they want and even call it what they want. :)

Samba: a Brazilian dance of African origin.
Beguine: a popular dance of West Indian origin, similar to the foxtrot

Funny that according to Webster's dictionary neither appear to be very related to anything latin... lol

Such is music!
So there are many different ways of dancing a samba?
So samba is not Latin?

"Samba, ballroom dance of Brazilian origin, popularized in western Europe and the United States in the early 1940s. Characterized by simple forward and backward steps and tilting, rocking body movements, it is danced to music in 4/4time with syncopated rhythm. Couples in ballroom position dance in place or around the floor, but partners may separate to execute variant steps. The dance derives mainly from the maxixe, a dance fashionable in about 1870–1914."
The Samba is designated as one of the "Latin" ballroom dance styles. 🙂

So there are many different ways of dancing a samba?
So samba is not Latin?
Dancing... as a younger man I use to teach ballroom dance professionally and was qualified as an instructor under the then named "Fred Astaire School of Dance", and I can 100% guarantee that there are 3 ways to dance Samba... the structured manner in the way we were taught, the structured ways in which others were taught and the "feel and do what you want" manner that covered all the others that were not formally taught in a school of dance.

Same could be said of about anything, I suppose, like I mentioned earlier.

As far as Samba not being "latin"by definition, if you accept it coming from Brazil, no, it is not latin but South American. Latin music is more considerd as having originated in Spain, but again, I consider the term "latin music" a kind of catch-all phrase that groups music that has similarities of Spanish/latin styles of music and not necessarily originating from there.

Last edited:
Simply put for left hand comping...
Samba .. 1 +2 3 +4 ....bomp ba ba bomp ba ba etc (listen intro to Dexys Midnight Runners Come on Eileen for phonetics)
Beguine .. 1 2 3+ 4+ ...great rhythm that'll cover ballads very nicely...
Obviously some degree of float is needed to animate but not enough so the rhythm becomes sloppy..
Hope that's helpful

Back