• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Roland-style Stradella

Edger Meyer mentioned the lowest note on his double bass is a C but I understand it it typically E. Edger’s base uses the ”low C fretboard extension” mentioned, similar to the one pictured in the double-bass Wikipedia article:
IMG_0307.jpeg

(I saw he also had a treble extension on the high string. I once watched him play a violin concerto on the double base, just for fun.)

BTW, Edger is an incredibly nice person. When my middle son, a cello player, was in high school Edger would occasionally visit the high school and spend time with the group of cello and bass players, playing, listening to them, giving them tips and most of all, encouragement. What a guy!
(My son started cello in the 4th grade in the Oak Ridge TN elementary school. I understand Edger’s father started that string program in that school years before.)

You‘ve probably never heard a concert like their first with over 100 4th-grade string players, (mostly violins) who had first touched their instrument a few months before!!!. My son still plays the cello at 41 and thinks it’s cool I just acquired the accordion! Who knows, maybe he’ll pick it up someday.

(Just for background, in our family our mother, starting in the 50’s, insisted a proper education comprised Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, and MUSIC and insisted we ALL take lessons starting with piano. The family tradition continues, some in the family are incredible singers, instrumentalists, and composers; our young grandson is learning sax.)

JKJ

The explanation is very simple. The Roland is a convertor accordion.
I have a few convertor accordions (120 bass), including Italian (Bugari) and Russian (AKKO) and they all have the Stradella bass going from E to F.
I also have a non-convertor accordion (120 bass, a Crucianelli), and the bass goes from A to Bb.
So whether you intend to use the convertor on the Roland or not, it is a convertor "accordion" and therefore has the Stradella bass going from E to F like other convertor accordions.
well my giullietti convertor is not that way.

well my giullietti convertor is not that way.
There are indeed exceptions. A friend of mine has a Bugari convertor with a 3+3 Stradella bass. It has only three rows of melody bass as a consequence of that and the C is several rows up from other accordions. I don't know what the Stradella base notes are but they do not go from E up to F and also not from A to Bb. All 2+4 accordions I know are E to F if they have a convertor and A to Bb if they don't, but especially very old accordions and accordions made in places like the USA may differ from what we see mostly (which is made in Italy, France, Germany, Russia...).
I think the ranges E to F and A to Bb are a consequence of the standardization of the bass mechanisms of the past several decades.

I think that the whole discussion here is at cross-purposes. Half of the people (including the original poster) appear to talk about the notes corresponding to the outermost rows of the bass button array. The other half talk about the lowest and highest pitched notes in the bass octave of an instrument. The latter is different for different accordion (or orchestral) patches of the Roland Fr4x. The former is fixed.

Back