• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Portable accordion sheet music, trumpet style?

Rosie C

Reaction score
In January I have a big outdoor performance - our Morris side will dance outside a number of pubs in town, a couple of dances each, before moving on to the next pub. I am hopeless at memorising music, and I don't really want the faff of talking a music stand and full size sheet music. Thinking of friends who play in brass bands, I'm wondering about fitting one of the brackets they use to my accordion. Just with velcro, nothing permanent. I wondered if anyone has done anything like this before I start experimenting?

Attachments

• trumpet-lyre-3986858104.jpg
    trumpet-lyre-3986858104.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 2
You could print the music on to small index cards and tape them one at a time, as needed, to the top of your accordion. This should work okay for short folk tunes that will fit on one card and is probably the simplest thing to do.

However, you may find the index card is too close to your eyes to read comfortably. If that is the case, then use your ingenuity to attach a small clothespin or other small clip to the grill area of your accordion, about halfway down, and clip the index card to that.

I have used each of these methods on a few occasions in the past.

Last edited:
Some people in a Scottish trad group I play with use little Apple or Samsung, etc. tablets on a rig or tiny stand much much smaller and narrower than a music stand, but I've never really examined specifics of the setup. I think a couple even use phones. I'm striving to ear- learn and thus memorize each season's batch of performance tchunes because the music-stand experience is so clunky and horrid. We do several annual outdoor festivals yearly, and dragging that stuff around is a big PITA indeed.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to give the Neukubra one from Thomann a go. :)

You could print the music on to small index cards and tape them one at a time, as needed, to the top of your accordion. This should work okay for short folk tunes that will fit on one card and is probably the simplest thing to do.

However, you may find the index card is too close to your eyes to read comfortably. If that is the case, then use your ingenuity to attach a small clothespin or other small clip to the grill area of your accordion, about halfway down, and clip the index card to that.

I'm thinking small cards, most tunes are only 16 bars. Laminated for the weather. I'll have to take my reading glasses!

Some people in a Scottish trad group I play with use little Apple or Samsung, etc. tablets on a rig or tiny stand much much smaller and narrower than a music stand, but I've never really examined specifics of the setup. I think a couple even use phones. I'm striving to ear- learn and thus memorize each season's batch of performance tchunes because the music-stand experience is so clunky and horrid. We do several annual outdoor festivals yearly, and dragging that stuff around is a big PITA indeed.

I tried using an iPad in our jazz band - it worked well until a band member wandered past not paying attention and knocked my stand over... I managed to catch it, but it was too close a call to take out again.

I'm thinking small cards, most tunes are only 16 bars. Laminated for the weather. I'll have to take my reading glasses!

That might work well! Maybe tape a lightweight plastic bag clip to top of the accordion?

A few years ago I wanted to play a piece on my cornet while teaching a large group of kids at the church, a last minute idea with no time to practice. Since my memory is horrible I wrote the note names on a piece of paper and taped it to my side of the horn bell. That worked well!

Fortunately, at 73 I can still focus near and far but if I needed reading glasses for a gig I’d probably try those tiny, light weight 1/2 frame readers.

A few years ago I wanted to play a piece on my cornet while teaching a large group of kids at the church, a last minute idea with no time to practice. Since my memory is horrible I wrote the note names on a piece of paper and taped it to my side of the horn bell. That worked well!

I do that on double bass - a piece of A5 taped on the upper bout where I can see it but the audience can't. It helps that the bass is white too.
The other trick I use is a printed set list taped to the floor of the stage. The audience expects to see that - but mine also includes the main chord changes.

Marching accordions with music holders:

Wonder whether there is some historical reason for what is colloquially called a "sausage fest". Admittedly the group does not appear to reflect a population average in other respects either.

A week passes...

Didn't try it, but there appears to be this thing from Neukubra.

I ordered one and it arrived yesterday. It's well enough made, but there's only about 12" from the music to my eyeballs and even with reading glasses I can't focus that closely (anymore).

However, you may find the index card is too close to your eyes to read comfortably.

As you say, it will be too close. Though I may pay a visit to my optician.

Now, this looks worth trying! Thanks for the link!

A week passes...

I ordered one and it arrived yesterday. It's well enough made, but there's only about 12" from the music to my eyeballs and even with reading glasses I can't focus that closely (anymore).
12" add about 3 dioptres to the strength of glasses you'd use for looking at far objects, 2 dioptres to those for looking at 3' distant objects, 1 dioptre to those for looking at 18" distant objects. No idea what distance your reading glasses are designed for.

It transpires our member Ric46 is an optometrist . I wonder if he'd have a suggestion ?🤔🙂

"Multiple plastic sheets with tension rod for wind protection. Accordion not included!"
🤣

Yes, looking at it, the folder is a big. I think I could have a metal block made to fix to the accordion, then buy a "lyre" from eBay. Though rather than make a hole in the front of the instrument, I'm thinking I would benefit from a protector pad on the back, and I could fit some sort of fixing as part of that, at the back, out of sight.

there is a point of diminishing returns here that would
send me in the direction of recruiting some rabid fan or
PennyLane type beauty to hold the booklet for me as i stroll..

which for Caroling around the tree yearly event here in town
the lovely assistant is one of the nicer ornaments we have and helps
guide the crowd to the correct page number..

and a 1 and a 2

Back