• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

The 2nd and the next Southern England Chromatic Button Accordion Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBR

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
[Editing as the day is now fixed.]
Building on the first one last October, I hope people would like to come to the 2nd Chromatic Accordion Rally on SUNDAY 8 April.

Heres what I just emailed to those who came, or expressed interest, last time round.

Hi folks

When we had the first chromatic accordion rally last October there was interest in another one sooner than a year later, so how about Sunday 8 April this year?

It will be in a hall about 8 miles from where the M4 crosses the A34 near Newbury so pretty good access from NSE&W. The building has two rooms so there will be more opportunity to have groups with different interests than we had last October.
http://www.wooltonhill.com/Hall/churchhall.html

Building on last year’s experience, it was great to have so many chromatics and their players in one place at one time, and it was really nice to talk to people and try different instruments. (I wonder if it was one of the biggest ranges of CBAs ever assembled in this country!) Whilst allowing time for that, I think it would also be good to have informal “seminars,” time to discuss shared interests or “problems.” Things that come to mind straight away - CBA fingering is a big topic and it might be useful to split it into different levels of experience. There’s the aspect of playing CBA in different genres of music. Reading music on CBA. Broader aspects of accordion playing, the bass end, bellows control, articulation, etc!!! It would also be nice to have a big CBA choir, as many playing together as possible (music organised in advance.) Lots of possibilities.…! Any suggestions for things to be included, or “seminar” topics would be very welcome.

My feeling is that there may be a modest reluctance to “teach” but if anyone would volunteer to “lead” a topic, that would be terrific.

It would be very nice to include something for those who are interested but haven’t yet acquired a CBA.

This hall will cost a bit more than the one we used last year, but I’d still hope to be able to keep the cost around £20pp to include lunch and refreshments.
The more people commit to coming, the lower the cost!

I do hope you’ll be able to come.
Tom

Yippee 8th is best for me..otherwise will have to miss it .. again.

if Black Diamond are coming i'd be really interested in a petrol share with them... ;)

Hi folks,
The CBA Rally is on.
8 April 2018 Woolton Hill as above.

On replies about the choice between 8 or 15 April the 8th was the strong majority preference. Many apologies to those who would have preferred the 15th.

Some people have expressed interest or willingness to "host" shall we say, a session on a topic of interest. Anyone else who'd be willing to do that, please get in touch. It doesn't mean you have to put yourself forward as a workshop teacher, just being willing to bring ideas to get a session going would be great.

Suggestions of topics would also be great. I was thinking of having various slots for sessions on different matters through the day, and as mentioned above we have the option of splitting across two rooms, that could mean one room stays very informal.

Playing together would be another good thing to do. Last time we found a few tunes that it seemed most people could join in with.

I was wondering about "Alexander's Ragtime Band" as something to play together - starting with an extremely simple version and with the option of developing and playing different versions and "breaks" as as the tune repeats . Let's say setting out in G, though as CBA-ers, how much do we care! ;)

Other tune suggestions very welcome.

Cheers,
Tom

If anyone is heading over from Colchester area I'd be interested in a lift / petrol share if possible.... Many thanks

Hi folks
Less than three weeks to the Rally now, do get in touch if youre able to come.
<EMAIL email=secbar96@outlook.com>secbar96@outlook.com</EMAIL>

Its taken longer than Id hoped but Ive done an extremely basic version of Alexanders Ragtime Band that I hope we can play around with. The thought was to have a very straightforward version, hopefully accessible to all, then people can add their more developed versions either to share or just play. Maybe also something to build discussion on.
Anyway, sheet music attached, * and theres a video here - hopefully its more or less the same as the music!
Do get in touch if you can come to the Rally.

Maybe not mentioned before, if youre a player of another system of accordion, or thinking about starting accordion from scratch, and are interested in the chromatic button version, do get in touch and come to the rally.
Cheers
Tom

Attachments

• Alexanders Basic v2.pdf
    182.8 KB · Views: 101
I'm still hoping, possibly in vain, for a petrol share anywhere from Essex area...please anyone ...

Hi folks
The Rally is one week today, Sunday 8 April.
Do let me know if you can come, Id like to know by Friday 6th if poss. (Going to Tesco for supplies on Sat!)

Heres the info Ive just emailed to people whove already said they can come.

The Rally is a week today. Heres some more information, let me know if you need anything else.

The hall will be open from 10am and people are welcome to arrive from then on, tea, coffee and biscuits etc, meet other people and see and try other instruments. Timings are flexible but depending on how things are going I hope well have some discussion, probably on the great subject of CBA fingering from about 11.30 until lunchtime. We have two rooms so this will be in one room, the other can continue to be more informal, chat, try instruments etc.

Ploughmans type lunch provided in the rally price. After lunch further discussions, one on aspects of accordion playing away from the purely CBA, bellows, basses and everything else.

If theres interest in splitting into groups related to different musical genres or traditions, or other subjects, well sort this out on the day. A bit later on well aim to play some tunes together, including Alexanders Ragtime Band starting with the very simple version thats on the page below, both as notation and a Youtube video, and developing the tune as anyone wishes.

We have the hall until 6pm, so will need to be tidied up and out by then.

Money will be collected on the day, purely to cover the cost of the hall hire and lunch and refreshment supplies. The more that come, the lower this will be! Id expect £15.

I would like to know in advance whos coming, if only for catering, but you can let me know nearer the time if necessary. If you can only come for part of the day, just let me know.

Two dealers are bringing accordions for sale.

Do hope youre still able to come, but would you let me know if you cant.
All the best and see you next Sunday

Tom

Links

Rally venue - Woolton Hill Church Hall, The Church Hall, Woolton Hill, Newbury, Berkshire RG20 9XF

http://www.wooltonhill.com/Hall/churchhall.html

See you all tomorrow.
Still time for late entries!
Looking forward to a good day.
Cheers
Tom

Many thanks to all who came yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed the day and hope you did too.

I think there's a general feeling that it would be good if the next one is more detailed, more hands-on, more playing.
Very much open to ideas and discussion but I think there's a feeling it would be great to have someone actually teaching next time. Format could be group or masterclass or individual or any combination.
Any ideas on who might teach?

Here's my email thank-you for yesterday. Many thanks to participants for their appreciation via email.

Hi folks
Very many thanks to you all for coming to yesterday's Rally. I really enjoyed it and I hope you did too.
Thanks to everyone for all their contributions, particularly to Mick, John and Martyn for leading off sessions. Thanks to Mick for detailed preparation and being willing to take on quite a challenging task and John from bringing and demonstrating his (very impressive) MIDI setup. The player doesn't make any difference, of course......! Thanks to Martyn and Sue for bringing the Accordion Lounge stand (you know where to go for that instrument you've always wanted...)
Many thanks to Sue for helping with the refreshments and tidying up, much appreciated!

I was glad there were three B-systemers. I was wondering if John would be the only one.

Looking forward
- I was pleased that the hall turned out OK and I thought it was very suitable, easy access from major routes and we could have split into four or five separate rooms if needed. Naturally everyone would like the venue to be nearer home. (With one exception!)
- I'd be glad of feedback on what and when for the future. I'm thinking the progression would be to more detail, more hands on? I think we'd all like more playing time.
- It would be great to have one or two actual tutors. Obviously that would put the cost up, but what does a lesson cost these days? Anyone come to mind?
- I'm assuming a Sunday is a good idea?

All and any suggestions welcome.
Anyway, thanks again for coming, and happy playing until we meet again!
All the best
Tom

Many thanks to Tom for the organisation and to everyone who turned up, it was a fun day, I got to listen and talk to accordionists who's playing I admire. And I got to show off a bit.
I agree with all the comments about more playing, and a proper tutor is a good idea - if we can decide what we all want.
The range of styles and abilities may make it difficult.
Tutors? The only person I can think of is Murray Grainger, I talked to him on the phone when he was being an accordion salesman somewhere. He's certainly qualified.
Keep squeezing
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back