• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

2nd Shelf Added

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the appearance of the Beltuna pretty much forced my hand in the need to add a 2nd shelf, if I wanted to get all my accordions properly displayed/stored. In the middle of doing it all I took a few quick pics and since there was a small update to my video software, I couldn't help but make a fast 1 minute video. :)

Lots more work to do, I have and idea about placing a 50" TV on the wall to use as a remote monitor and basically a screen to read off of when doing videos that I talk and can read the script off of and I still need to re-arrange everything and every time I do that I end up dusting and wiping everything down in the basement again. At least it's clean and dust-free.

I'll make a final video later on. :D

Wow! Looks like an accordion shop!

I get glaring looks from my wife for having three full-size accordions. I think I'd be looking for a new place to live if she came home to a setup like yours Jerry!

Wow! Looks like an accordion shop!

I get glaring looks from my wife for having three full-size accordions. I think I'd be looking for a new place to live if she came home to a setup like yours Jerry!
I have to chuckle... when I was married I totally got those looks too. It's hard to make them understand, so I divorced her.

KIDDING... just not about the divorce part... lol

I would love to have a display system for my accordions. We moved 5 years ago, but I had a nice system for my basses. I took this photo after we cleaned out most of the room:

Attachments

• bass room.jpg
    bass room.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 17
Wow! Very nice.

Meanwhile, I’m down to only one accordion. I’ll be retiring in about a month and moving into a much smaller home so, sadly, I needed to sell the other two.

Last edited:
I would love to have a display system for my accordions. We moved 5 years ago, but I had a nice system for my basses. I took this photo after we cleaned out most of the room:
Super cool Nick! So, is bass your primary instrument? And how's the filuzzi going?

One of my big regrets is selling my bass. Even though I never really learned it that well. It was given to me by a friend of my brother, with a broken neck. I had it repaired and had some fun, but lost it in downsizing to my current house.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom. Bass was my primary instrument. I played throughout high school and college. I started as a jazz bassist but later started playing with community orchestras. Along the way, I tried my hand at tango and salsa.

I had an accordion in the basement for years while I was playing bass. One day, I woke up with some vision issues in my left eye. It lingered for several weeks, and I couldn't focus on the sheet music. So, I pulled out the accordion and fell in love. I don't have any issues focusing now, but I've switched a lot of my attention to the accordion. The bass does take up a lot of room and every time I've shopped for cars, I've had to think how I could fit a bass in it. My music room is much smaller now, so I have one set up there and the other is in the corner in a spare bedroom.

I'm still playing filuzzi. No gigs yet. Just me in the music room. It's definitely in the plans though.

Thanks Tom. Bass was my primary instrument. I played throughout high school and college. I started as a jazz bassist but later started playing with community orchestras. Along the way, I tried my hand at tango and salsa.

I had an accordion in the basement for years while I was playing bass. One day, I woke up with some vision issues in my left eye. It lingered for several weeks, and I couldn't focus on the sheet music. So, I pulled out the accordion and fell in love. I don't have any issues focusing now, but I've switched a lot of my attention to the accordion. The bass does take up a lot of room and every time I've shopped for cars, I've had to think how I could fit a bass in it. My music room is much smaller now, so I have one set up there and the other is in the corner in a spare bedroom.

I'm still playing filuzzi. No gigs yet. Just me in the music room. It's definitely in the plans though.

Yes, it really is a big fiddle trying to fit a double bass into a too small a vehicle ;)

I learned double bass out of some sort of perversity when I was in grade school.

In high school after bringing in the accordion ONCE, I was made to play pretty much every instrument except the accordion, as long as I never got better than anyone else in the class... for several years!

I once knew an accordionist who claimed that he wasn’t allowed to play an instrument in his high school’s band or orchestra because he was taking private music lessons and would “show up” the other students.

Contrast that with my granddaughter’s high school. She sang in the chorus, and we went to her concerts, at which various instrumental ensembles also performed. Students in her school who took private music lessons were publicly praised for doing so at those concerts.

I once knew an accordionist who claimed that he wasn’t allowed to play an instrument in his high school’s band or orchestra because he was taking private music lessons and would “show up” the other students.

Contrast that with my granddaughter’s high school. She sang in the chorus, and we went to her concerts, at which various instrumental ensembles also performed. Students in her school who took private music lessons were publicly praised for doing so at those concerts.
I was more advanced than the students that was a fact, but I was also more advanced than the music teacher, I think that was the problem. Ego should not be involved where adults vs kids are concerned. It would have been fun to play at school events or recitals, but that was something I was also not permitted. I attended one school recital as a viewer and ended up getting frustrated and disgusted and left early.

My first instrument, in 5th grade, was a double bass that was even taller than I was (and I was close to 6 ft.) . That height was my bane as I was assigned the bass after the other (shorter) kids had made their choices. I wanted to learn clarinet, but the girls all got them. Schlepping that thing back and forth to and from school (4 blocks) surely put a damper on my enthusiasm for music! I dabbled in drums for a while, but never recovered the desire to learn about music and an instrument. Fast forward to age 65 and dwindling vision and I decided I'd better find something to occupy my time if I were to go totally blind, and music was it. First the clarinet, until I discovered an old Dobran piano box in a pawn shop for $200.00 US, and the rest is history. Still working on the clarinet as time (and interest) allows.
I will die happy...

Back