• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Sheet Music Books

mhseeger73

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
What are some good sheet music books? I have been using musescore for sheet music, but there a lot of random things on there. I'm specifically looking for polkas, Italian pieces and Russian/Ukrainian/Slavic/Eastern-European music.
Thanks!

For the last, can recommend the Eastern European Folk Tunes for Accordion: 33 Traditional Pieces from the Schott world music series. Not trivially easy folk tunes, either. Get ready to sightread 7/8 and 11/16 and lots of other fun time signatures...

For the polkas there are a lot of (fair to poor quality) free arrangements floating and several books to choose from (which tend to feature decent arrangements but poor typesetting and lots of extra page turns.)

For something completely different, and for those like you who are learning the accordion, and want some authentic but easy tunes of the Italian Alpines, I suggest you checkout:

Scroll down for the tunes. In bocca al lupo!

Now, there are some decent Italian music books for accordion out there, but this is not one. It was written for mandolin but includes music, chords and downloadable sound. It’s not the typical stuff but I believe is quite authentic for lesser known pieces from southern Italy (I believe there is a version for the north too.) that is written for the English reader. The Italians on here can please chime in to update or suggest Italian books.

John T. LaBarbera

Traditional Southern Italian Mandolin & Fiddle Tunes​

“The first and foremost Italian mandolin book dedicated to the traditional music from Southern Italy. Written in standard notation and mandolin tablature with guitar and mandolin chord accompaniment, this book introduces the reader to the various authentic folk songs from the regions of Campagnia, Calabria, Puglia, Sicily and Sardinia. With detailed descriptions of the songs and dances, historical and technical information about tarantella and pizzica music, the book will increase the knowledge and repertoire of Italian folk music for both beginners and professional musicians alike.

John T. LaBarbera

Traditional Southern Italian Mandolin & Fiddle Tunes​

I have that book, and yes it has some good stuff in it. It's sort of a companion to Mel Bay's "Norther Italian & Ticino Region Folks Songs for Mandolin", which I recommended in another recent thread.

And further proof that you don't have to restrict yourself to accordion-specific published music. Books for mandolin, fiddle, general fake books, etc., can all be great resources.

(Crepi il lupo!)

Back