• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and Sonata Pathetique sheet music inquiry

Reaction score
Hello,

I have the first movement of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" (Adagio sostenuto) "Sonata Pathetique" both arranged for accordion by Charles Magnante.

Does an accordion arrangement exist for the II. Allegretto and III. Presto Agitato movements of the Moonlight Sonata?

For the Sonata Pathetique, does an accordion arrangement exist for the II. Adagio Cantible and III. Rondo movements?

If yes, please tell me how I may obtain them?

Thanks for joining us and thanks for the inquiry.

Perhaps someone here knows of the source for your searches. I'd be interested myself.

Hello,

I have the first movement of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" (Adagio sostenuto) "Sonata Pathetique" both arranged for accordion by Charles Magnante.

Does an accordion arrangement exist for the II. Allegretto and III. Presto Agitato movements of the Moonlight Sonata?

For the Sonata Pathetique, does an accordion arrangement exist for the II. Adagio Cantible and III. Rondo movements?

If yes, please tell me how I may obtain them?

Sorry I can't help with your query. Maybe contacting Ernest Deffner/Busso music might help... I think they've got lots of transcriptions.

Very nice music though... if only it were possible to have a sustain pedal effect (via chin switch perhaps :unsure:) on an acoustic accordion it would be so cool. Alas it's not... otherwise I'd be playing Moonlight Sonata and Fur Elise all day, every day...

Last edited:
Sorry I can't help with your query. Maybe contacting Ernest Deffner/Busso music might help... I think they've got lots of transcriptions.

Very nice music though... if only it were possible to have a sustain pedal effect (via chin switch perhaps :unsure:) on an acoustic accordion it would be so cool. Alas it's not... otherwise I'd be playing Moonlight Sonata and Fur Elise all day, every day...
Thank you for your kind reply. One of the neat things about the accordion is the bellows that can sustain the notes. The technique is very subtle going back and forth slowly and keeping the sustained sound in tact.

My teacher has a customer made accordion with chin switches that are designed to match some of the commonly used switches on the keyboard side. He uses the chin switches to facilitate speed. The chin switches might take some time getting used to.

I have most of Magnante's arrangements, many from the 30's!!, in my collection of thousands of accordion music including manuals and arrangements for accordion orchestra. Most are from 2 of the largest accordion studios in the Hamilton/Toronto areas - gone may years ago of course - plus my own collection from years of performing. It will take some time to check, but I'll have a look. Some is listed alphabetically and some by author or arranger. A bit of a mixed bag... Magnante has always been my favourite with Pietro Deiro a close second, followed by Galla-Rini. BTW, had the privilege of meeting and performing casually and briefly with Magnante in 1960.. And yes, I AM an old-timer.... I'll let you know if I find what you're looking for.. Impressed that you appreciate those numbers...

I have most of Magnante's arrangements, many from the 30's!!, in my collection of thousands of accordion music including manuals and arrangements for accordion orchestra. Most are from 2 of the largest accordion studios in the Hamilton/Toronto areas - gone may years ago of course - plus my own collection from years of performing. It will take some time to check, but I'll have a look. Some is listed alphabetically and some by author or arranger. A bit of a mixed bag... Magnante has always been my favourite with Pietro Deiro a close second, followed by Galla-Rini. BTW, had the privilege of meeting and performing casually and briefly with Magnante in 1960.. And yes, I AM an old-timer.... I'll let you know if I find what you're looking for.. Impressed that you appreciate those numbers...
Thank you for your message, Riccardo!
I am a fan of Magnante, Galla-rini, Frosini and Deiro works. My 95-1/2 year old accordion instructor (Californian and early pioneer of the Lovell organ attachment with the Melodiosa accordion) heard Magnante in concert at an accordion event in Chicago around the early 1960s. It must have been a wonderful experience for you to hear and play with Magnante!

Incredible. You're the first person I've 'met' who shares the same accordion pioneers and we also have something else in common.. I'll be hitting 90 in the next couple of weeks.. You also reminded me of my first Canadian championship in 1952. The required piece was Pietro Frosini's Concerto in D minor. Adjudicators were New Jersey's Charlie Nunzio and Quatrociochi of Detroit.
Also happen to have in my hand Galla-Rini's transcription of Il Guarany overture published in 1932 by Carl Fischer. He's playing an accordion with no visible name on the front. As you may know Galla-Rini insisted on printing the full chords in the left hand in opposition to Deiro et alii using single notation for chords and standardizing other markings. AAA vs ATG.. As many pointed out even Antony's marking were not completely accurate since the left hand played 2, 3 or more octaves! As did the right hand.... but they did collaborate in many festivals , shows and competitions...

Back