• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Resources for Free Bass Accordion (Quint & Chromatic Systems)

Hi Jerry, I bought a copy from sheetmusicplus.com. It was $15.99 (plus $5.99 shipping/handling), total $21.98. It took several weeks to arrive but I had lots of other material to work on too.

I'm currently in the process of ordering some individual pieces by Ciconia (Late Medieval), Dowland (Renaissance), Franck (Romantic). Seems I'm always behind the times... :unsure:
Only in the best of ways possible! :D

Only in the best of ways possible! :D

Thanks Jerry!

I'm inspired by others, and the book Raccolta Di Studi Per Fisarmonica A Bassi Sciolti by Eliana Zajec is a prime example. There are some studies in it that sound like they could have been written 500 years ago. They have a simplicity and a gravitas that can transport you to a different time and place. I think the book is pretty much an accordion manual of preparation for the works of composers from the baroque, renaissance and even medieval era. I've rarely been so impressed with a music book.

I think there is a tendency in some quarters of the Italian fisarmonica classica to seek to rediscover musical antiquities and adapt/interpret them with the accordion. For example, I was listening to a new recording by Ivano Paterno recently where the work of Josquin des Prez was played on accordion (and also some contemporary compositions inspired by the composer were written and contrasted with des Prez' work).

Here's an example of a des Prez motet on accordion:

it’s good to hear that you can order from Deffner online now because they were very difficult to deal with before. I’m going to check their website.their catalogue is the most comprehensive in North America.
I think there’s a store in London called Presto. They had a lot of music I had never heard of and they actually converted the currency for me on their site. I think that’s the name but I’m not sure.
The selection in Europe is incredible compared to anything you’ll find in music stores in the new world. Liberty Bellows claims to have the largest catalogue-its very good but not as extensive as dealers in Europe.

In the late eighties I was in Budapest and a music store was selling sheet music for pennys.. This was far from my accordion study days but had I known I’m sure I could have walked out with a suitcase of sheet music for less than ten dollars. Oh for the good old days of communism.
Does anyone remember Pettelmans across from Carnegie hall in New York? It was a super snobby store.
I asked the sales person if they have any accordion music and he looked like he was going to have a heart attack. But he did show me their small section. Decades ago off Broadway there was a street in New York full of accordion dealers but they’re all gone now.

Thanks Jerry!

I'm inspired by others, and the book Raccolta Di Studi Per Fisarmonica A Bassi Sciolti by Eliana Zajec is a prime example. There are some studies in it that sound like they could have been written 500 years ago. They have a simplicity and a gravitas that can transport you to a different time and place. I think the book is pretty much an accordion manual of preparation for the works of composers from the baroque, renaissance and even medieval era. I've rarely been so impressed with a music book.

I think there is a tendency in some quarters of the Italian fisarmonica classica to seek to rediscover musical antiquities and adapt/interpret them with the accordion. For example, I was listening to a new recording by Ivano Paterno recently where the work of Josquin des Prez was played on accordion (and also some contemporary compositions inspired by the composer were written and contrasted with des Prez' work).

Here's an example of a des Prez motet on accordion:

(Trivia) If I remember correctly, Ivano Paterno plays a piano accordion with a quint converter (160 basses, i.e., 4 octave in the left hand).

My equivalent of this book would be this:
1693697381601.png
Created by none other than the man that was Michael Bridge's teacher himself. :)
Interesting. Would you recommend this book? Seems out of print although it looks like they might have copies at Treadwell's

hi mtj, a local accordionist here in Melbourne Australia, Anthony Schulz plays a giullietii continental with the three extra rows of free bass "bassetti". he has been to Canada and studied with Macarello and considers this book his bible for freebass. I have been trying to purchase a copy from tredwells but they seem to be having trouble with their website. they emailed me and said they were working on it and would get back to me when I could continue with the purchase. I am an experienced stradella player who has recently taken the plunge into freebass. I have gone down the quint path. thought I'd pick up this book just in case I ever want to try this system.

Interesting. Would you recommend this book? Seems out of print although it looks like they might have copies at Treadwell's
It’s as good as any for what it offers, so yes, if it was good enough for the RCM, it is something that I would recommend.

Back