• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Free beginner music and resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Coke Daddy Nut

Ive been playing the accordion for a few months now and one of the most challenging things for me is finding music that is better suited for learning. The best free resource Ive found is this book: The Piano Accordion (1938)

If anyone has PDFs or links to learning resources and beginner/intermediate sheet music Id love to know about it! Thanks, all :D
(I like Romanian music, polka, nautical tunes, Irish folk, and pretty much any eastern European style, also rock if anyone can find any.)

Ive got a small amount of free accordion sheet music on my site that might work for you.

Duane Schnurr has a page of free accordion lessons. Each lesson features a scanned section of, I believe, the Sedlon accordion method books.

But really, I recommend just biting the bullet and paying for good material. The Palmer-Hughes books (including their recital books), for example, are not that expensive, are well-edited, and--more importantly--are organized in a nice, gentle learning progression.

JeffJetton said:
Duane Schnurr has a page of free accordion lessons. Each lesson features a scanned section of, I believe, the Sedlon accordion method books.
Sedlon is correct.. Duane has 94 individual downloads of free, progressively harder pieces/lessons with sheet music, spoken intro & the piece played by him in sound clips to each lesson - from raw beginner to (near) intermediate.

Edited add played by him for clarity.

Hi there. I’ve had a good look through your 1938 tutor and it is very comprehensive but things have moved on especially via the internet programs, Youtube and similar.
Whilst they were not for me, (I wanted to play Scottish music) there is a reason why Sedlon and Palmer Hughes were/are so popular. Your tutor has covered in a few pages what these publications spread over an entire book, so unless you are geared up to analyse and understand each word then I would suggest that you seek an alternative route.
I think the vast majority of our members here would recommend finding a good teacher. It doesn’t need to be weekly or fortnightly lessons, just someone who will keep you on the right path.
Lastly, I would rub out the word ‘Free’ from your title and replace it with ‘Good’.
Written by one who struggles more than most.
Ca canny
Garth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back