• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Free bass resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyanka

Prolific poster
Reaction score
I'm planning to start learning how to use the free bass this summer... but apart from practising scales, arpeggios and chords, I don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend tuition books or websites geared towards the non-classical use of free bass?

There's not much around I've found, though not sure what you mean by "non-classical use". Learning to play the basics will be exactly same, won't they? It's up to you what music you play with it! I've got Piazzolla's Three Preludes arranged for solo free bass accordion by Richard Galliano but they look too hard for anyone else to play.

If it helps, here is the Mogens Ellegaard method for three-row C system free bass (may have been posted before) - I've been using it a bit and it's concise but very useful. (I hope it's OK to post this, think it's probably out of print now).

Well ..... the upload isn't working - too big. Let me know if you want a copy.

The free bass stradella type you have was developed by the late Emil Baldoni who at the time worked for Earnest Deffner (Titano - PANcordion) in the 60s. I was fortunate to know him at the time and he gave me my start at accordion repair. Emil and the duo of Palmer & Hughes took Emils design to Italy - developed it and patented as the converter bass. This converter bass is now the world standard for free bass and as the patent has run out all accordion makers use it to this date. Instruction for the use of the converter bass is best taken from The Palmer & Hughes instruction courses written originally and still published and used today. If you have a C system chromatic you will find the left hand converter is a mirror image of your right hand pattern. Here in the US instruction books can be found here -- http://www.bussomusic.com/catalog/

Thank you for the suggestions. The reason I specified 'non-classical' is because I want more than basics; I would like complete pieces arranged for accordion, but they'll have to be pieces I want to play in the long term, or I won't practise.... classical music is what I have the piano for! I love Piazzolla but you're probably right, Simon, they'll be way too hard!

What I'm lacking at this stage is an understanding how to use the free bass at all: chords, melodies, percussive? I've tried playing counter melodies on the free bass, and apart from it being hard, it doesn't sound quite right either.

How about this then:

https://www.boosey.com/teaching/news/El-Viaje-for-Accordion/12120

Piazzolla arranged for accordion by Karen Street. The notes say the arrangements are playable on both Stradella bass (because thats what everyone has...) and free bass but some of them are really best on free bass. Ive learned a couple of then, but only on Stradella bass. Definitely not quite as hard as Gallianos arrangements fortunately!

Thank you, Simon, that's right up my Street! Ouch. I like her playing style, so there's an extremely high chance that these will be My Kind of Thing.

Thank you, Jim, too - they're not my kind of tunes though, and I know from experience that I won't persevere if I don't like the tune...

simonking said:
The notes say the arrangements are playable on both Stradella bass (because thats what everyone has...) and free bass but some of them are really best on free bass.

I think I may be wrong here - there is one piece in there that is recommended for free bass - the rest have been optimised for stradella bass, come to think of it they would be very difficult on free bass unless you did a lot of rearranging to reduce the need to play entirely the stradella equivalent chords.

Perhap some versions for bandoneon solo would be more suitable (if anything is available) - and I imagine would be a hell of a lot easier to play on a free bass accordion that the bonkers bandoneon!

The following are the books I actually have. All are Exercise books except for the Borg Charles Books which are progressive (I only have the intro book and vol 1) and primarily consist of written tunes/songs and bass parts. His books are fairly inexpensive (under 20.00 US each) and can be ordered directly from him. His email is listed under his books. For scales Ellegaards book (in my own opinion) is by far the best, dont let its simplicity fool you. I also like to learn the chord forms and play them in block form on the free bass. You can use any fake book for progressions and play the melody on the right hand.

Free Bass Books:

Accordion Manual for the Chromatic Free Bassetti System Book 1
Rudy Molinaro
Neofonic Music and Recording Company, NY

How to Play the Free Bassetti System Accordion
Flaviano Fogli and Frank Gaviani
Ernest Deffner Publications
http://www.ernestdeffner.com

Comprehensive Method for the Chromatic Free Bass System
Mogens Ellegaard
M. Hohner Company

First Steps on the Bassetti Accordion
Borgstrom/CharlesWaterloo Music Co. LTD,
Canada
Boris Borgstrom <EMAIL email=bborgstrom@cogeco.ca>bborgstrom@cogeco.ca</EMAIL>

Progressive Method for Chromatic Free Bass Accordion Vol 1 (3 or 4 volumes available)
Borgstrom/CharlesWaterloo Music Co. LTD,
Canada
Boris Borgstrom <EMAIL email=bborgstrom@cogeco.ca>bborgstrom@cogeco.ca</EMAIL>

For the study of free bass accordion also useful: the 2 volumes by Alessandro Di Zio
METODO PER FISARMONICA A BASSI SCIOLTI volume 1 and volume 2
edited by Berben in Italy

Hi Stephen are the 2 volumes by Alessandro Di Zio
METODO PER FISARMONICA A BASSI SCIOLTI
Written for the C system freebass?

Hi Russ,
Yes, the fingering numbers in the A. Di Zio method for free bass are for C-system CBA, and also for piano accordion.
This free bass method can be used by C-system and PA players. Both fingering systems are indicated in this method.
In Italy PA and C-system are the most common systems on accordion. In France C-system is called "doigté italien".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back