• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Playing and accompanying yourself

Harrytulipan

Reaction score
I have been listening to people who sing and accompany themselves at the same time.
I have listened to people like Olle Adolphson and Freddy Kristoffersen.

I have been trying to do this myself on piano and accordion but it is difficult.

I sing less well when doing it. But I am not sure the singer I mentioned sang less well because of it (even if I think they sang better when only focusing on the singing).

It is hard to sing and act at the same time so I know that doing much atcthe same time can be dificult.

I know that many guitarists who really onöy sing if they can play guitar because they do not know what they do with their hands.
I do not have this issue as my main instrument is the voice and have focused a lot on that issue.

For me singing and playing at the same time is a lot about refraining from things you can do when you only thing.
I find that my accordion playing become less good. That is also bad.
Even just playing simple left hand accompaniment and singing can be a it tricky for me.

Have any of you sung and accompanied yourself? What were your experiences?

How did you learn to become good at it?

When should a person try doing this? I think I should refrain from doing it know as it seems difficult.

Last edited:
Have any of you sung and accompanied yourself? What were your experiences?
I have done it in front of other people a few times and enjoyed it enough to keep trying!
Even just playing simple left hand accompaniment and singing can be a it tricky for me.
Yes. it is a coordination challenge like playing two hands together, so start with simple songs you know well.

Before attempting to play a rhythmic accompaniment, try holding down chord and bass buttons for the full bar while singing so you get comfortable with the chord changes.

Instead of practicing just all the way through or one section at a time, I find it helpful to practice the transitions. It is easy to forget the first word of a verse after focusing on an instrumental part!

Adding in right hand parts that overlap with vocals adds an extra layer of difficulty that I can’t yet do reliably.

One more thing... Tom posted a video recently of the fantastic Ginny Mac of Texas singing while playing accordion. I was impressed both by the vocal performance and the accompaniment. Also shows how you can do things a little differently if you have a guitar or bassist holding down the beat.

One more thing... Tom posted a video recently of the fantastic Ginny Mac of Texas singing while playing accordion. I was impressed both by the vocal performance and the accompaniment. Also shows how you can do things a little differently if you have a guitar or bassist holding down the beat.
Seen Ginny Mac several times in Vegas performing with her trio she was excellent and makes it all look easy..

I have done it in front of other people a few times and enjoyed it enough to keep trying!

Yes. it is a coordination challenge like playing two hands together, so start with simple songs you know well.

Before attempting to play a rhythmic accompaniment, try holding down chord and bass buttons for the full bar while singing so you get comfortable with the chord changes.

Instead of practicing just all the way through or one section at a time, I find it helpful to practice the transitions. It is easy to forget the first word of a verse after focusing on an instrumental part!

Adding in right hand parts that overlap with vocals adds an extra layer of difficulty that I can’t yet do reliably.
But to me playing hands together is much easier than playing and singing.
Is it really only about coordination this siging a playing issue?
When I sing without playing I can do things that I must refrain from doing that helps me sing better.
Isn't that one of the big reasons why singing and accompanying yourself can be so difficult?

But I sing and play focus too much on plying the accordion.

Sure, coordination is also a big issue but I doubt it is the biggest issue. One can learn to play a sinple accompaniment but not go all into singing or playing accordion.

Last edited:
Freddy Kristoffersen:
What I see in this video is a person taking two roles at the same time (both the singer and the accordionist).

So if I want to to so someing like I have to accept that my accordion playing and singing will be less good?
Isn't that the same for the people like the guy in the video, ie he could have played much better if he had only focused on the accordion?

Last edited:
So if I want to to so someing like I have to accept that my accordion playing and singing will be less good?
Isn't that the same for the people like the guy in the video, ie he could have played much better if he had only focused on the accordion?
more or less yes

if it becomes an issue at a real performance remains to be seen
you could do the real tricky stuff in a solo for instance

more or less yes

if it becomes an issue at a real performance remains to be seen
you could do the real tricky stuff in a solo for instance
It is an issue! It is a big issue!
Why would anyone want to not go all in on one instrument?

It is an issue! It is a big issue!
Maybe because singing adds an extra dimension that will resonate with the audience better than additional technical proficiency on the accordion.

If I know a song really well, it's easier to sing it by playing the individual notes and singing the words together. Which is not as effective as playing accompaniment and fills.

Some people are natural singers, staying on the right notes effortlessly and naturally. Others, myself included, are not. The only solution is practice. With or without exercises and technical methods. You have to sing, record, listen, reflect, improve, repeat, repeat. It's extremely difficult and probably not worth it. Not many people actually like it and persevere.

Because finding another musician with compatible interests, schedule, and personality can be just as difficult as learning to cover multiple parts.

Because a simpler arrangement is often good enough. I’m a simple man with unrefined tastes! 😉

When I sing without playing I can do things that I must refrain from doing that helps me sing better.
Isn't that one of the big reasons why singing and accompanying yourself can be so difficult?
Do you mean it is harder to breathe, use good singing posture and move around stage with a large instrument strapped to one’s chest? More experienced folks will have to weigh in on that issue!

Do you mean it is harder to breathe, use good singing posture and move around stage with a large instrument strapped to one’s chest? More experienced folks will have to weigh in on that issue!
It probably use my hands in a different ways when singing and playing compared to when only singing.

I cannot call myself very experienced, but I played in a small jazz combo accompanying with left hand while playing trumpet with the other and it certainly weighed down on my shoulders which restricted my airflow, it also did not let me expand my diaphragm as much. The collapse of the upper lung chambers (shoulders forward and hunched) due to the weight of the box was an issue in some cases for me.
But I also was playing a 28lb accordion which is a quarter of my weight.
Probably depends on the person, really.

Something that really doesn't work is sousaphone and accordion at the same time.

Although it sounds as if your text was meant to be sarcastic hehe.

I've been a "singing accordionist" pretty much my entire musical life. Although my YouTube videos don't reflect my singing, that is what I do when I play at an Assisted Living facility or a cocktail party or other things. As far as how I back myself up when I sing, it's just basically chords and modulations. Nothing fancy. Hard to explain. I don't back myself up any differently than I would if I were backing up a stand alone singer.

no I meant that others may have tips for getting used to singing with a heavy instrument, or whether it remains a hindrance. Thanks for sharing your experience!

I will try to use emojis when attempting humor in the forum and recommend that others do the same! Otherwise it is easily misunderstood, especially for those for whom English is a second language!

I cannot call myself very experienced, but I played in a small jazz combo accompanying with left hand while playing trumpet with the other and it certainly weighed down on my shoulders which restricted my airflow, it also did not let me expand my diaphragm as much. The collapse of the upper lung chambers (shoulders forward and hunched) due to the weight of the box was an issue in some cases for me.
But I also was playing a 28lb accordion which is a quarter of my weight.
Probably depends on the person, really.

Something that really doesn't work is sousaphone and accordion at the same time.

That would be 12.70059kg. Mine is around 10kg.

I've been a "singing accordionist" pretty much my entire musical life. Although my YouTube videos don't reflect my singing, that is what I do when I play at an Assisted Living facility or a cocktail party or other things. As far as how I back myself up when I sing, it's just basically chords and modulations. Nothing fancy. Hard to explain. I don't back myself up any differently than I would if I were backing up a stand alone singer.
Do your accordion playing or singing become less good when you play and sing at the same time?

Do your accordion playing or singing become less good when you play and sing at the same time?
I don't believe that they do. To me singing and playing or just playing has become second nature; I've been doing it so long. Interestingly though, if I "talk" vs sing while playing, it does become a bit awkward. (maybe if I talked in rhythm, it might work better. ha ha ! )

Reactions: dan
no I meant that others may have tips for getting used to singing with a heavy instrument, or whether it remains a hindrance. Thanks for sharing your experience!

I will try to use emojis when attempting humor in the forum and recommend that others do the same! Otherwise it is easily misunderstood, especially for those for whom English is a second language!
Ah, no worries I think I just read it incorrectly.

Back