• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Playing keyboard through silk cover - why?

Big Squeezy Accordions

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has seen an accordionist playing with a silk cover over the keyboard. I saw a couple of different accordionists do this years ago and never understood the purpose. I can't now remember their names or find any other information on this obscure practice, but I swear it was a thing.

To answer my own question, it appears to be this guy:

The other one I saw doing this must have been either his student or otherwise inspired by him, as it seems to be a rather singular practice.

Could be that he has very acidic sweat (solle people just do) and doesn’t want to ruin his expensive instrument’s keys?

To further answer my own question, a little searching turned up this:

Basically, it's to make playing the accordion even harder.

I dont see good reason for it. Some models have all black keys now. I dont like that either. Maybe to look more serious as dak says above. It may prove the player doesnt look to the keyboard. Maybe to look modern and different. It may help in early stages to learn and guess the key places without looking. The Great Morgani uses that also for decoration purposes.

Dick Contino used a covered keyboard many times in his on the road appearances.
It does nothing to enhance the sound or playability of the accordion.
A simple display of "showmanship".

Back