• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Pigini Polaris & Vintage Inspiration...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walker

🪗
Reaction score
Pigini Polaris - accordion.jpg
Photo of Pigini Polaris (original and modern)
With permission from www.pigini.com
Details of specifications found on https://www.facebook.com/piginiaccordions

I recently saw that the accordion manufacturer Pigini made a reinterpretation of their 1946 model Pigini Polaris. I wanted to share the photograph (after receiving their permission to do so) because I really think it is a lovely vintage inspired design. For a company so well known for their understated converter accordions, I think this is a refreshing change.

I am a fan of the vintage designs and find something charming about the 1940s -1950s vibe. Perhaps it goes to show that despite the success of free bass instruments there is something enduring about stradella bass. I dont know why, but the accordion makes me think of classic old films like, Its A Wonderful Life, also released in 1946.

There must clearly still be a big place in accordion production for the button and piano accordion with standard bass. I wonder what percentage of accordions are free bass versus standard bass... Probably depends on manufacturer, but I will guess maybe 75/25 (percent) in favour standard bass worldwide...

In Scotland I guess 99/1 in favour of standard bass.

Does anyone have a scientific calculation or just a wild guess (like me)?

Victoria also knows how to tell their story in an artistic way...

Pigini's story has a similar vibe and heritage style...

Last edited:
I had a look on Pigini's website and I dont think any of their models look vintage in the slightest, so this is quite a big departure for them - if it goes into production.

However, I associate vintage inspired instruments with 41 keys and 120 bass, so I would have liked it if this had a standard full size keyboard too. Having 37 keys is not really vintage in my opinion. But seemingly this Polaris has 120 bass, and well, I actually quite like the 37/120 look. I think 120 bass fills out the bass board better on a 37 key instrument than 96 bass. That nice 'full' bass board is more often found on button accordions, where the instrument is usually quite compact.

Also, I had never really heard of a Polaris before, so it's new to me. I think that's quite a good thing because - the thing is, there are so many famous old accordion brands, and as soon as you mention the modern model iteration, someone somewhere sighs and then says, "ah, but it's not a patch on the old one" - a response that, regardless of whether it is actually true or not, seems a standard practice that blights almost every accordion maker with history.

That's where Pigini scores - few people ever says the old ones were better... I wonder why?

In the absence of Musikmesse in 2022, I am just pleased there are some accordion makers bringing new ideas to the table...

In the "Pigini Accordion from Father to Son" can some one put me out of my misery and give me the name of the recurring tune.
It's such a well known tune but I just can't remember the name of it, Thanks :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back