• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

One for the Dot readers.. Tesoro Mio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The piece doesnt really matter as its a technical question.
As mentioned in another post regarding improving sight reading... Ive made a start.

Now here is a simple but pleasant arrangement of Becuccis My Treasure

When you get to the end of first section, top line in the pic 6th bar, 1st ending, you note no repeat (at this stage) so follow to the line below, 2nd section.

When you come to the end of that (2nd) section it says D.C. al Fine poi Trio

So one logic says as you should end at Fine, so
A) you should play the trio (twice for the observant) then go back to the start (Capo) and play through to end at Fine (2nd ending, top line in the pic, 7th bar. Note it also says (To Trio)

However there is a school of thought that says
B).. after the 2nd section where it says D.C. al Fine poi Trio you go back to the start and play to the Fine, 2nd ending THEN you play the trio (x2) ending at the last bar of the Trio... so ending not at the Fine?

So, what you think Dottists?

Edit: Will see if I can improve the pic which is a bit grainy/ low res: Edit:Done

Attachments

• tesoro mio queation2017-06-08 (1).jpg
    tesoro mio queation2017-06-08 (1).jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 1,068
rancoman said:
:cry: I SO wish I could read music..... :hb
Not to pull things off topic, but... If you want to, you can.

Ill wait for the less blurry version before I make a comment. :)

Play what you think sounds best. I'm sure there's no right way at the expense of alternatives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Soulsaver said:
However there is a school of thought that says
B).. after the 2nd section where it says D.C. al Fine poi Trio you go back to the start and play to the Fine, 2nd ending THEN you play the trio (x2) ending at the last bar of the Trio... so ending not at the Fine?
That is what it means. D.C (da capo) al Fine poi Trio means go the the start (thats da capo), then play until Fine (al means until), then go to Trio (poi means next). So indeed you do not end at Fine but at the end of the trio.

Soulsaver said:
Thanks Paul, that is what I understood. However, Id think it more rational to put a segno instead of the fine & use D.C al Segno poi trio. That would work? And wouldnt confuse those that think Fine ends the piece?
Dal segno (D.S. instead of D.C.) is used when you go back to a point that isnt the start, but that is marked with the Segno (which means sign I believe).
Instead of al Fine, poi trio a special coda sign is often used. Then it is D.S. or D.C. al coda but instead of the word coda a sign is used that is like a capital O with a very large + sign through it. The coda then either has the word Coda or another such coda sign. (And then the Coda is what is otherwise a Trio.)
Often a piece starts from the segno or start once more and then does end at Fine. It is not that customary to continue after Fine. A spot from where you continue elsewhere is typically done with a coda sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back