• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

New Poll. How many keys do you *actually* play in?

Good question... I use whatever the sheet music gives, but I dont prefer too much flat and sharps which is not common in folk music anyways. I think a beginner - intermediate will use up to 4 flat-sharp scales: A flat major - F minor and E major - C sharp minor. That may be a general limit for musicians I think. After that, could be transposed or comes already transposed. A tip: If it has too much sharp-flats, you may think from only the melody, not the pre-determined flat-sharp aspect. Also could be thought as where does NOT have a flat-sharp, rather than where there are. However all scales must be played as scales for understanding the theory and getting used to. You learn the hard ones to make easier the easy ones.

This is true. My old piano teacher (sadly passed away) had a theory that children should be started off on B major, not C major. It looks scary written down, but it suits the human hand much better than C.
Violin (Suzuki Technique) starts with A major. Because there is an A string as zero push.

I have a tough time deciding which is more trouble: all the effort of transposing a tune full of accidentals to an "easier" key, or the annoyance of playing it as is, in an awkward key that should only belong in the well-tempered clavier book!
If you're a friend of mine, don't compose stuff in G flat major with a bridge section in B flat minor 😅

I have a tough time deciding which is more trouble: all the effort of transposing a tune full of accidentals to an "easier" key, or the annoyance of playing it as is, in an awkward key that should only belong in the well-tempered clavier book!
If you're a friend of mine, don't compose stuff in G flat major with a bridge section in B flat minor 😅

Try a 5 row CBA - simples ;)

Back