• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Memorizing / By ear playing Poll

How many tunes can you play by memory / ear?

• Over 50 tunes. (I can play anything I hear by ear),

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • 10 - 50 (I can play by ear given enough time)

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • 0 - 10 (Don’t even talk to me about by ear)

Votes: 10 34.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the two are related but I find that I do them in reverse order. I would guess that many people tend to learn a tune by playing it repeatedly, THEN they try to memorize it.

I happen to have a good ear, so I'm essentially "learning" songs constantly just by listening when away from my instruments. Whether it is background, Muzak, active listening, I subconsciously visualize/analyze everything I hear...bass, chords melody, rhythm, so when the time comes to play a tune, more often than not, it's just...there under my fingers. It may need some refining to get the nuances or structure, flesh out a more interesting voicings/arrangement, more efficient fingering, etc., but the bones are mostly there on first attempt.

Other musicians (particularly classical players) often grill me about how I memorize hours of Bach or how I play so many pop/jazz/folk/rock songs by request in front of an audience despite never having actually played them on the box before. My answer is that I usually haven't memorized how to play the tune, I'm basically just playing along in real time to a version I hear in my head and my fingers are able to make it up on the fly.

For those that want to improve memorization, I've heard experts talk about these 4 key elements:
1) Aural - Be able to hear it in your head
2) Structural - Understand the harmonic progression/melodic arc, repeated sections
3) Visual - See the score in your head (if you're using one)
4) Physical (muscle memory) Know what it feels like when playing

I would also add to this 5) Lyrics. They can help with the melody, structure, rhythm

You don't need all of these, but they do work in tandem with each other, so if one or more of these fails, the others can keep you on track.

I can play the bass cords for old time fiddle tunes 95% accurate, I can whistle the tune/melody 99% accurate, I can play the melody-right hand less than 80%. My son, the fiddle player is 99% accurate on the violin. This is only for tunes I hear often, I think you have to be able to carry the tune in your head. Having always worked in machine shops, sawmills, and power plants my hearing suffered, (why do they even bother with piccolo reeds?) There should be a category for tunes you hear often or is your genre/passion? Mine must be kids tunes- Row, row, row your boat! 100%👍
Wow! I didn't know other people out there were backing old-time fiddlers up with accordion! That is the best.

Having had three kids take fiddle/violin lessons I must have sat through 8 years of them having lessons and recitals and music camps! This isn’t counting school band recitals. I play a little guitar but my first love was accordion so after I retired I returned to it. Covid changed the fiddle group, when I asked if it was “ok” to play with the old time fiddlers group I was welcomed in. They said it’s no fun when there is only one fiddle player, we need you! The youth they had grew up and moved away and no one was taking lessons for a couple years. I’m always careful not to overpower anyone. Learning to chord with my right hand was something new and I play lead now and then when they need more volume? We usually play twice a month and another group of acoustic music players also meets twice a month so I’m having a blast!

I can play the bass cords for old time fiddle tunes 95% accurate, I can whistle the tune/melody 99% accurate, I can play the melody-right hand less than 80%.

I'm about the same. I was playing a guitar-like instrument all day on Saturday - the same 6 tunes. I started off with them written down as chord charts, but by the end of the day I had memorised 3 of them. I tried to 'feel' the chord changes, but couldn't do it accurately enough.

Reactions: Tom
Well, the poll has closed and it looks like we’re pretty even across the board. Thanks for your input everyone!

Back