• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Poll: How long have you been playing the accordion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have put 2 plus but as a complete novice, only starting to try and read music as well as play when I retired.

Three years, though my wife says it feels like twenty. (we've only been together seventeen)

Started again in January of this year...pushing through Book Three of Palmer-Hughes. First started in the late 1950s in Pennsylvania, but took lessons only about two years or less then. I've enjoyed switching to the 4-3 fingering over the 3-2. Palmer-Hughes showed both in their early 1960s books, but my teacher back then started me on the 3-2.

I've been playing for 55years. Got the first piano box from my big bro for my 10th birthday. 26 piano keys and sounded like a strangled cat but I loved it. went on to 5 row chromatic c system at 21 and had a few lovely accordions since then. Do a bit of guitar. banjo, joanna and harmonica too

Not to worry - just send a corrected answer. :tup:

@Rhelsing It's been running for 4 years - I've brought up before that all the early answers are out of date... so it's pretty useless for the then short term players ... unless someone is moving the results along cumulatively, which they haven't said, so... I wouldn't worry - as Jim says, a post is probably more useful.

Ed

Thanks, just wanted to correct the entry Imade in error - but not a big thing either. I should have selected over 10 years but it looks like it can't be changed.

I have been playing accordion for 24 years, and loved every moment of it.

O.K. Maybe time to PM Knobby to update this Thread ??
Some of us here posted in the past, but and as you know "Tempus Fugit" .
The old ??'s were of "less than 6 months" - and carry on to "more than 10 years".
In the categories of us that exceed 10 years, I would include - more than 20 years - more than 30 years - more than 40 years - more than 50 years - and please don't leave us out (The Old Fart's Club) That will admit their age, started at 7 years old and will be 71 in 3 months (64 years ??) :lol:

How about past lives, no one remembers being an accordion player, along with the usual Egyptian royalty and such?

Should I phrase the questions differently?

Just a starter for 10: It probably needs posed in such a way that remains meaningful, doesn't go out of date and doesn't require continuous input from Knobby:

When did you start learning/playing accordion?

2011-2015

2006 -2010

2000-2005

1990-1999

Way Back

Accordionosaur

You could add another year each year & consolidate every 5 years (or more) if desired?

That way the response doesn't go out of date?

Just a suggestion. :)

yeah but then it is out of date in 2018 when someone starts playing then...
Really it is a no win situation with a poll like this.

perhaps just two categories:

1. Just started.
2. Longer than you've been alive.

:p
Ben

I started in 1956; played for three years steadily including school concerts. Then, dropped it when cars and girls became more interesting. Wife bought new accordion in January 2014, so playing again...taking it slowly with Palmer-Hughes but enjoying it. I'm in no hurry to complete the ten books. Enjoy this site and the very experienced and knowledgeable players here.

fjsys said:
yeah but then it is out of date in 2018 when someone starts playing then...

Ben
Except its not, because as I said you could add a year each year... so in Jan 2018 (Knobby) would add a category for started 2018.

I PM'ed Knobby a few days ago -- lets see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back