• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hey Siri! Can't you see I'm trying to play the accordion here?

Tom N

Site Supporter
Reaction score
No more wearing my Apple Watch while playing the accordion! 🥴 When I play the accordion lately, Siri will start talking to me with utter nonsense remarks. Apparently my left wrist movements activates Siri to start listening and the responses are sometimes quite hilarious! Other times Siri hears me singing and responds to a lyric it can decipher. This happens at gigs too! God forbid it thinks I'm in trouble and invites the police or medical responders to investigate!
I could "mute" those uninvited conversations in the settings, but those features are one of the reasons I bought the watch. NO MORE! I'm taking off my watch when I play. 🪗

You are not alone, there are a ton of very serious issues with siri, none related to a shaking wrist... just getting it to work or use dictation recently or work in a coherent manner has been in the news now for almost a year. There are some people that are really looking at the coming iOS 18 and iphone 16 as being the saviours of siri. Me, for now, I am enjoying my Samsung... lol

No more wearing my Apple Watch while playing the accordion! 🥴 When I play the accordion lately, Siri will start talking to me with utter nonsense remarks. Apparently my left wrist movements activates Siri to start listening and the responses are sometimes quite hilarious! Other times Siri hears me singing and responds to a lyric it can decipher. This happens at gigs too! God forbid it thinks I'm in trouble and invites the police or medical responders to investigate!
I could "mute" those uninvited conversations in the settings, but those features are one of the reasons I bought the watch. NO MORE! I'm taking off my watch when I play. 🪗
Reminds me of a time a very good friend, ( now passed on), was driving in the highlands of Scotland with his son who was visiting from Denmark. They were discussing the problem of the boatloads of illegal immigrants arriving virtually daily on the south coast of the UK.
Suddenly his Tom Tom said "I'm listening".
They both got a shock as the Tom Tom had never spoke before and He didn't know it actually could.
He became very worried in case it was some "big brother" listening in to their conversation and was frantically trying to remember if they had said anything which could be construed as racial.
When he told me about it I set his mind at rest.
I often find my Tom Tom will butt in when I'm having a conversation when driving. Now I just tell her to "Shut up".
Seems to work

You sound like one of us retired guys! I gave my work watch to another younger mechanic when I retired! He said it must be the right of passage? Haven’t missed it any in the last 2 years! Mike t.
Indeed. I'm retired and then some. I have the scars to prove it. Left Hip completely replaced in 2020 is what inspired me to get the watch during my recuperation. Did you ever see the "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" commercials for those home health devices to hang around your neck? I love my Apple gear and this was a perfect excuse to get the watch. I predict the big push for AI is going to reveal a much more dramatic digital assistant built into the watch and phones alike. They will become your best friend, keeping you company 24/7 as well as solving problems much better than long division problems and weather forecasts!

Indeed. I'm retired and then some. I have the scars to prove it. Left Hip completely replaced in 2020 is what inspired me to get the watch during my recuperation. Did you ever see the "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" commercials for those home health devices to hang around your neck? I love my Apple gear and this was a perfect excuse to get the watch. I predict the big push for AI is going to reveal a much more dramatic digital assistant built into the watch and phones alike. They will become your best friend, keeping you company 24/7 as well as solving problems much better than long division problems and weather forecasts!
Yup! Siri, generate me a 24 bar solo over “All of Me” in the style of Miles Davis, going from simple to complex and back, emphasis on leading tones, and subtly quoting Mary Had a Little Lamb, for accordion, with sparse jazz chords and minor tonality.

We don need no Arrigo.

Yup! Siri, generate me a 24 bar solo over “All of Me” in the style of Miles Davis, going from simple to complex and back, emphasis on leading tones, and subtly quoting Mary Had a Little Lamb, for accordion, with sparse jazz chords and minor tonality.

We don need no Arrigo.
That's it! How about "Seri, I'm going to play Lady of Spain and I'd like percussion, a Spanish guitar played by Paco de Lucia, and Ron Carter on bass." No more Band-In-A-Box arrangements! That could be pretty interesting. Wow - that could be possible too! Imagine that kind of AI that would anticipate your playing and even interact with your performance. I can't wait. I can't wait. Think how it could help beginning players sound good, and those who know their way around the box could put on some pretty awesome one man band performances. I've created dozens of Band-In-A-Box tracks which I use in public. The RealPlayer feature has turned some country tunes into authentic sounding tracks with some simple editing in Ableton Live. I still use it from time to time. But telling Siri exactly what you need as an accompanying track which may even change slightly every time it's performed, let me at it!

That's it! How about "Seri, I'm going to play Lady of Spain and I'd like percussion, a Spanish guitar played by Paco de Lucia, and Ron Carter on bass." No more Band-In-A-Box arrangements! That could be pretty interesting. Wow - that could be possible too! Imagine that kind of AI that would anticipate your playing and even interact with your performance. I can't wait. I can't wait. Think how it could help beginning players sound good, and those who know their way around the box could put on some pretty awesome one man band performances. I've created dozens of Band-In-A-Box tracks which I use in public. The RealPlayer feature has turned some country tunes into authentic sounding tracks with some simple editing in Ableton Live. I still use it from time to time. But telling Siri exactly what you need as an accompanying track which may even change slightly every time it's performed, let me at it!
Yup! Siri, generate a video of ME playing my accordion with xxxx using the above mentioned version of All of Me that I can post on my influencer channel. Probably less than 6 months out.

We don need no steenkin practice!

No more wearing my Apple Watch while playing the accordion! 🥴 When I play the accordion lately, Siri will start talking to me with utter nonsense remarks. Apparently my left wrist movements activates Siri to start listening and the responses are sometimes quite hilarious!...
Maybe you should start wearing the watch on your right wrist (which is also the right wrist for an accordion player).
When you wear a watch on the wrong wrist (the left one for an accordion player) it may be uncomfortable.

Maybe you should start wearing the watch on your right wrist (which is also the right wrist for an accordion player).
When you wear a watch on the wrong wrist (the left one for an accordion player) it may be uncomfortable.
Sage advice. Why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes:

I'm retired since March of 2016. I still wear watches daily, but Siri's no trouble, heh!

Pocket watches are great.

You know, someone should take inspiration from those and invent something like an Apple Watch that has all the same stuff it has--clock on the front, virtual assistant, all sort of apps--but that fits in your pocket instead of your wrist.

Oh, wait a minute...

Back