• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Never A Bad Colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this rate we'll need a new topic on the subject of 'how best to carry an accordion on your motorcyle'.

I've had a few bikes myself, mostly very old and black.... hmmm... quite like most of my accordions.

Geoff,

Maybe we should have the thread you suggest, though I think most of us drive cars these days.

It is interesting to relate motorcycle colours to those of accordions. My preference for old British bikes leads me to accept the primary colours they all came in without question. On the other hand, accordions have very often been presented for sale with pretty lurid colour schemes.

My Norton was bright Yellow with a Black frame, which I think would be a nice colour scheme for an accordion.

All The Best,

Stephen.

Yellow and Black Stephen ? Yes, that could be nice.

I saw an Accordiola for sale recently which was sky blue with a little painting on the front of a man leaning on a lamp post ... shame it was 'Pur Musette' tuning otherwise I would have considered buying it as the look was so sweet.

I was lucky to buy an old accordion 'housse' ( what we'd probably call a satchel in english) at a flea market this summer... a leather bag that is closed by several straps and has a single shoulder strap which allows the accordion to sit quite comfortably , diagonally across one's back. It adds hardly any weight to the package... The old man I bought it from explained how he would ride to a gig on his bicycle in this fashion. It fits my 11 kg. box but I doubt I'd want to ride far with it on my back.

Hm, did the man leaning on a lamp post appear to be playing something like a ukulele?

My Cavagnolo is a not too appealing gold flake - tarted up by a previous owner with silver ornamental tracery, just tape with clear tape over it.

I've carried an accordion on my motorcycle several times, the motorcycle has a spacious rear rack. I've carried tubas, electric bass, peach tree in a large pot, 50 lbs of oatmeal ... But it can be kind of a rough ride, so I don't do it often, for fear of knocking stuff loose in there.

Geoff,

The "satchel" sounds like an elegant solution to a vexing dilemma.

Donn,

If the person to whom you refer is the late, great George Formby, it may interest you to know that he lived, as a child, about half a mile from where I was born and raised.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Stephen,

the nice thing about the 'satchel', being accordion shaped, it can be used as a dust cover by simply stuffing it over the box like cramming on one's hat.

Donn,

no the lamp post leaner did not have an instrument... looks as if he was just waiting for his girl... perhaps off to a dance...

Geoff.

Geoff,

It sounds like a brilliant solution, but I would be a little concerned about people standing on it or tripping over it in a folk club environment. I love the idea, but I will stick with hard cases for the time being.

Stephen.

I would avoid buying a Llama-saliva Yellow accordion, Stephen, but my Tiger is Cougar-puke Tan.

Hello Eddy,

Having never (to my knowledge) seen Cougar-Puke, I will have to accept your word regarding its colour. I am also completely in the dark about Llama Saliva, though some farmers in my region keep these strange looking creatures for their wool. Having only seen them from a distance, which I think is for the best, I once again rely on your expertise in this matter.

Rightly or wrongly, accordions are seen as "dowdy" by many people who do not love them as we do. Accordionists seem largely conservative to many younger people, some of whom may consider the instrument to be "passé" or irrelevant.

I happen to like bright and colourful things, and find some of the colours and designs on new Weltmeisters particularly attractive. Of course the sound is the most important thing, but I think it is possible to have an instrument which looks and sounds good.

A year or so ago, I spotted an 80 Bass Pearl River for sale. It was a lilac/purple colour, which is enough to get the veins on the necks of purists to stand out. I didn't buy it, but I almost wish I had.

Kind Regards, and keep up the zoo-ology lessons.

Stephen.

Geoff de Limousin said:
I was lucky to buy an old accordion housse ( what wed probably call a satchel in english) at a flea market this summer... a leather bag that is closed by several straps and has a single shoulder strap which allows the accordion to sit quite comfortably , diagonally across ones back. It adds hardly any weight to the package... The old man I bought it from explained how he would ride to a gig on his bicycle in this fashion. It fits my 11 kg. box but I doubt Id want to ride far with it on my back.
I saw one of those for the first time recently when I was lent a heavy Hohner diatonic. All those straps - it took me a while to work out how to open it !!

Our 2 dogs create a fair amount of dust which gets everywhere so I always keep my accordions in their bags. The rucksack bags are ideal for a 7kg box. The straps on the Brandoni bag are much better than those on the Hohner bag. Im not sure Id want to carry one on my back on a bicycle either .... top-heavy springs to mind.

Corsaire post_id=62497 time=1535954969 user_id=2107 said:
Geoff de Limousin said:
I was lucky to buy an old accordion housse ( what wed probably call a satchel in english) at a flea market this summer... a leather bag that is closed by several straps and has a single shoulder strap which allows the accordion to sit quite comfortably , diagonally across ones back. It adds hardly any weight to the package... The old man I bought it from explained how he would ride to a gig on his bicycle in this fashion. It fits my 11 kg. box but I doubt Id want to ride far with it on my back.
I saw one of those for the first time recently when I was lent a heavy Hohner diatonic. All those straps - it took me a while to work out how to open it !!

Our 2 dogs create a fair amount of dust which gets everywhere so I always keep my accordions in their bags. The rucksack bags are ideal for a 7kg box. The straps on the Brandoni bag are much better than those on the Hohner bag. Im not sure Id want to carry one on my back on a bicycle either .... top-heavy springs to mind.

I was lucky :? a few weeks ago to find a nice old accordeon at a brocante, it came complete with its thick leather housse... not THE biggest of boxes but 20 minutes into carrying it with the strap diagonally over my shoulder I was begining to feel my 68 years!

Dogs and dust ? Ah! Now I know whos fault it is..... having spent a whole day with the vacuum cleaner last week prior to the annual family visit.... I should cover my accordions because the first few tunes on each does have me sneezing.

It doesn't seem to matter how much we try to keep the dust down, our place is a nightmare, and I'm sure the dogs are the main reason.

An accordion's weight is something I take very seriously - I don't want to end up with chronic pain. There are enough postings on this forum about pain to stop me becoming complacent ! I don't have the physique, strength or desire to struggle with a heavy box, particularly as good technique isn't always easy. I often wonder how those Russian women fare as they get older after standing and play those huge PAs ...

Hi Sally,

We lost our last dog a year or so ago. Barney was 17, and very dearly loved.

He was, however, a very dirty hound, who took great delight in getting as mucky as he possibly could. We miss the old boy very much, but the house is a lot cleaner now.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Stephen,
At first I thought you’d gone pretty far afield here, but realize that you’ve come full circle to your original quote, in a way: a good dog is never a bad color. Well done.
And informative, too. My old Labrador, Physics, often comes in from the yard a completely different color after lying in the dirt. Thus, the layer of dust everywhere.

Hi Eddy, et al.

I have always had an affinity with animals, dogs especially. We live in an area which can boast many riding stables, and I have a theory about which tunes or types of tune various animals like.

As I play out in the countryside very often, I have had the opportunity to test my theory on horses, cattle, sheep and dogs. (No Cougars or Llamas)

Cattle, for a start, do not seem to like any particular style of music. They are inquisitive enough, but can be quite enigmatic. Sheep love anything by Pressley, especially "Wooden Heart." I play "Wild Mountain Thyme" for the horses, as they seem happier with music played in faux-musette. Dogs of any colour get excited when I play "The Wild Rover", which I suppose is quite natural for them.

Though I have not tested this theory, I do not believe that any animal would much care what colour of accordion I played. I have no reliable data on the musical preferences of Cougars or Llamas, and trust that someone else will conduct the necessary experimentation.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Stephen, somehow I think you might be waiting for me to play some tunes for the cougars and llamas. Nope. I ain’t agonna do it.
My Labrador does particularly like “Rhapsody in Blue” when I play it on the piano.
Your observation about cattle is astute. There’s a famous story of Charlie Parker stopping the car carrying his band, jumping out, and playing to a cow in a field.

One of our Aussie shepherd dogs yaps when I bring out the accordion and runs in and out of the room. I haven't yet worked out if she hates the sound or if she's jealous of the box I'm hugging. She doesn't care what colour it is either.

Hi Eddy,

Damn, I thought you would have jumped at the opportunity to conduct an empirical study on the musical tastes of animals native to the Americas. Think of the prestige !!!

Hello Sally,

He didn't cover his ears with his paws, but old Barney seemed to switch off and fall asleep whenever I picked up an accordion. How he could sleep through that racket is beyond my understanding, but he did.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Late to the party on this thread but really interesting thoughts and comments.

For what it's worth I prefer the pearloid colours, especially in grey and white. 

My last resort would be...black! Although I would concede it probably does look more 'professional' if you feel the need to be impress.

Harry Geuns has the bellows work done on my Hybrid upgrade, so black body, blue Paua bellows paper and the buttons will be black with gold trim rings.
‘Upgrade’ not quite accurate. Replacing guts with 8’x8’ dry tuned tipo-a-Mano and his pro action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back