• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Never A Bad Colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for your insightful and well presented comments. Your responses have been illuminating, and I am happy to see that there are a wide range of thoughts and opinions on this subject.

For myself, I quite like colourful things. This does not extend to my wardrobe but, in most other respects, I find tastefully coloured items pleasing.

There is always a danger that we take ourselves too seriously, which I try my best to guard against. I love my accordions, but have no desire to slavishly follow conservative strictures.

After a lifetime of professional seriousness, it is high time that I let down what is left of my hair. If that means buying a bright and cheerful accordion, so be it.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Colour has never been an issue for me when buying an accordion. I have a pearl white Excelsior which is a dream to play and a smaller blue Delicia which I use for gigs. My first accordion was black but it seemed so dull !
I have got used to seeing all sorts of wild colours in France including fluorescent pink and yellow. My accordion prof was given all kinds o f blingy samplers to play and I never knew what he was going to have when I went for my lessons !

I guess it's down personal preference, where and what you play, who with etc etc. I have a great deal of fun playing and like to let my hair down and black would not be my first choice of colour. The sound and feel of the beast are more important to me - after all, I can't see myself playing !

Hi Sally,

I can't see me buying a fluorescent pink accordion any time soon, but I would be perfectly happy to buy one with tasteful floral decorations.

Blue is a nice colour, perhaps with yellow as a contrast. Yes, I would go with that.

Kindest Regards,

Stephen.

I thought this might be interesting for this thread:
<YOUTUBE id=cZFUNo9qOBE url=></YOUTUBE>

Accordions of all colours, shapes and sizes, playing beautifully in harmony.

Do try to remember its the accordions youre looking at...... :D

$_12.JPG

Guys,

Youll never be noticed at all unless you get one this colour.

The photo doesnt do it justice as the gold sparkles in the light. If it played and sounded as good as it looked I would recommend it, but sadly it does neither.

I was looking for a lightweight instrument, but discovered that lightweight boxes and heavyweight players are not a good match!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello John,

I could live with it (if it had been a PA.) You would not have to mind dirty looks from the purists, but I have always been able to tough these things out.

The Yellow would have been nicer with a two-tone Blue and a few Red flowers. What do you think, John?

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

My accordion is pearl red. Bought it used but its color made no difference to me. The person I bought it from had, perhaps, 20 for sale (think his wife was making him thin the herd). Tried them all and bought the one that sounded the best to me. Of all the criterion one can use for an accordion, color to me would be way down on the list.

Hi Tony,

Yes, all three of mine are Pearl Red, but I really do like nice patterns and colours. I would be quite happy with a Blue and Yellow instrument, though I cannot currently justify the expense.

You chose the instrument which sounded best, which is very obviously the right way to choose any instrument. If, however, the best sounding instrument had been Purple, would you still have chosen it? (I hope you say, Yes.)

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

If, however, the best sounding instrument had been Purple, would you still have chosen it?

Of course I would have. Ive seen many beautiful accordions that Ive lusted over, but sound still trumps color in my opinion.

Now, where to find money for that Scandelli Air. Oh well, eating is highly overrated...

Hi Tony,

You're right, of course. Eating, clothing, gas, electricity, home furnishing ........ all unnecessary expenses. I often tell my Wife that, but she clings firmly to the notion that we must pay all our bills, before I buy my toys.

I would love a 500cc 1955 Ariel Red Hunter motorcycle, as I had one in my (much) younger days. My Wife looks at me as though I have gone completely mad, and I often have to remind her that: "The one who dies with the most toys, wins."

Perhaps, at almost 70, I am in my second childhood. Whatever it is, I want to squeeze every ounce of fun I can out of life. If that means buying a Blue & Yellow accordion, that is what I must do.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

You got it right Stephen. I turned 70 this past August and perhaps in a few years I will leave my first childhood behind. By the way, my 1993 blue Yahama XV535 is one of my prized possessions. I got my MC license on my 57th birthday.

What is it about accordionists and motorcycles? I also own a bike, but it kind of reflects the technogeek in me.

It was the most technologically sophisticated motorcycle ever made in its day, and even today ranks up there... it is a Honda CX500TC. A water cooled, shaft driven, fuel injected, turbo-charged motorcycle with twin computer systems. It was made only one year, it was *the* first turbo bike ever produced, there were only 2002 made world-wide (most people say that the actual number is unknown, but I met someone from the UK that actually worked at the plant where they were made and he had access to the actual number!).

I got this bike brand new in 1983 and that bike sits in my garage today. :)

http://syner-g.asuscomm.com/_OldWebSites/GTP/images/CX500TC/cx500tb.jpg>
cx500tb.jpg

I suppose my Honda is the Roland FR-8X of its day. If nothing, I am at least consistent... lol

Hm, silver/green apparently.

Mine's '85, but the only technologically sophisticated thing about it is the linked brakes - foot brake is something like 65/35 rear/front. It's funny that three of us in a row turn up with shaft drive motorcycles - that aren't BMWs.

Hi Guys,

I love Italian bikes, my favourite being the Aermacci. My visits to the Isle of Man (Manx Grand Prix) was rewarded by the sound of single-cylinder Aermacci's throttling back at the bottom of Bray Hill, just before Quarter Bridge, and opening the throttle as they sped toward Union Mills.

I have only owned one Honda, the simple reason being that I love old British bikes. As a former owner of Norton and Ariel machines, and having ridden Vincent, Velocette, BSA, Triumph, Greaves, Francis Barnet, Royal Enfield, AJS and Matchless machines, I simply cannot work up much enthusiasm about modern bikes.

I used to reckon that my old Ariel 500 Red Hunter would fire about once every street lamp. It wasn't the fastest bike in the World, but it had so much torque that it could well have towed a trailer.

The only shaft driven bikes I have ridden were an 800 BMW, 900 BMW and an 850 Suzuki, none of which were mine.

The oldest bike I remember riding was a 350 Calthorpe from (I think) 1938. The fastest, from memory, was a race prepared Triumph Trident 750 cc engine in a Rickman Matisse oil cooling frame. The grip and handling were superbly frightening, and I treasure the memory of taking a quite shallow curve at somewhere North of 130 mph. (on a proper racing circuit, of course)

My Norton was a 600 Dominator, with fibre tank, clip ons and rear sets. I only came off it once, but it hurt quite a lot.

Cheers Guys,

Stephen.

donn post_id=50632 time=1506109116 user_id=60 said:
Its funny that three of us in a row turn up with shaft drive motorcycles - that arent BMWs.

You can add a fourth shaft drive motorcycle rider to the list - BMW R1200 GSA.

To stay on topic - my accordion is black :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back