• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Never a bad accordion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyanka post_id=50797 time=1506524015 user_id=74 said:
The 4-row-ness actually deters me; Ive got a 3-row and a 5-row, and I dont think I could cope with another variation on that. Fisart would make a 5-row if I wanted (and had the money!!!), but that would make it heavier, which defies the purpose. See how Im trying to talk myself out of Wanting? ;)

Hmmm Yes.

Chasing weight loss is what I am doing again today, following an impromtu outing to our local bar last night carrying the 11kg box..... hmmm it is ok once installed on lap but at a Sing-a-round dinner party... with lots of straping on and off... the idea of a 7kg baby CBA comes back to haunt... if I could live with the sound.....

After an afternoon playing tunes with my wife on the Fiddle.... it has to be a five row too. :tup:

Anyanka post_id=50797 time=1506524015 user_id=74 said:
Fisart would make a 5-row if I wanted (and had the money!!!), but that would make it heavier

If I may transfer a comment out of its context in another thread ...
debra post_id=50655 time=1506156814 user_id=605 said:
There was a thread earlier about Black Diamond Accordions earlier and the issue that the 5th row is so close to the register switches that it is unusable. When you have a 4 row with register switches on the grille (and not under the keyboard) then trying to add a 5th row is a really bad idea.
The other thing that makes it a bad idea is that when you create a 5th row the buttons have to be attached (with an aluminum strip per note) to the levers of the 2nd row, but the travel distance of these buttons will then be shorter and you will need more force.

It's likely irrelevant, but it might be a point in favor of 5 row accordions that are stock configurations you can try out, vs custom jobs.

Well Donn,

it's a good point... but I get the impression that if one orders a new accordion it will then be manufactured, unless it is a stock model, so a five row would be a five row from scratch ... I'd hope. Though I'd rather buy a model I'd tried than order one and hope it would be as good.

Well, yes, made from scratch, but if the accordions in that line are usually 4 row, then it isn't clear how well the parts they have, and the mechanical design, are going to naturally accommodate a 5th row. In that other thread, for example, I had the impression someone was describing a more complicated lever system that equalized the button throw better on the 5th row, but I guess a 5 row may be made without such a system - and probably would be, if it was one of a kind. As mentioned in that quote, these issues can come up with accordions that were always 5 row, for that matter. Just something to be aware of, that there are some potential issues with that 5th row. Not that I would know, never having played one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back