• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

'Modern' accordion teaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt Butcher said:
I think there is also teaching repertoire about that seems old fashioned, based on chord progressions that are very alien to young people today, and there is also more modern stuff which might motivate them more (not necessarily better music or worse, just something that the pupil can relate to.

The colleges make the case for students to be challenged and exposed to forms of music which might be new to them. How the student uses their education afterwards is of course up to them.[/quote]

Agreed, agreed, sorry I am not being clear - I definitely think students can relate to e.g. classical music, contemporary music and lots of young people do get into these styles. The things I am more doubtful about are some of the Cuckoo Clock Polka type pieces that you can find in more traditional teaching books, lovely in their own way but perhaps unlikely to attract a 21st century following...?

I agree Matt, it takes time to install a network of occificial accordion teachers in a country.

Best advice is to open the doors of this forum to accordion teachers and read their opinions too.
If only an inner circle is member, you risk walking in circles.

I have seen the difference in the past between paying for private lessons, and having to follow an offical accordion training state program.
Private lessons was for the rich spoiled kids, who couldn't cope with authority and with teachers saying how to play.
The public music school is for those who are willing to studying and playing everyday, doing the pieces and the exercices.

Matt Butcher said:
The things I am more doubtful about are some of the Cuckoo Clock Polka type pieces that you can find in more traditional teaching books, lovely in their own way but perhaps unlikely to attract a 21st century following...?

Im with you on that one, but the pieces in method books are the means to the end, rather than the end in itself, and the student isnt restricted to playing just out of one book. A good teacher will be suggesting other material as well.

Stephen said:
Best advice is to open the doors of this forum to accordion teachers and read their opinions too.

The door is open! It would be great to have some around, but we dont advertise so unless they search for us, they wont find us.

Stephen said:
... A teacher is by definition someone having passed all exams and obtained a degree at conservatory, and it is impossible to obtain a degree withou playing free bass accordion and classical/contemporary accordion music.

I would call that the definition of a conservatory trained teacher, or YOUR definition of a teacher. A teacher, by definition, is someone who teaches - that simple.

Just nitpicking for the sake of clarity.

Think the Royal Academy of Music in London will disagree with your definition, Anyanka.
In your definition, every person decides by himself that he or she is a teacher.

In most countries, the State will impose severe criteria, a full curriculum and succesfull exams, and a grade or diplome.

In your definition, I could call myself a surgeon, and start doing brain surgery in your UK hospitals ?

Stephen, look in a dictionary, please. It is you who has been imposing a particular interpretation on the word, not I.

In the UK, professions do have standards, and regulate the titles that can be used. "Surgeon" is a regulated title, while "teacher" is used in a general sense. Perhaps the title "teacher" has a more narrow meaning in other countries/languages, which might explain the apparent confusion.

For the sake of keeping the peace I'm going to say no more discussion on this topic - we can agree to disagree.

I don't believe the thread was about only conservatory teachers, (correct me if I'm wrong Soulsaver) so we can continue to discuss teaching methods from both conservatory teachers and other teachers, too, without discussing the semantics any further.

In Europe, accordion teacher is a profession, and thus regulated by the State and the Ministery of Education.
No one can enter a public music school and obtaine a post as accordion teacher, without showing his/her experience, the grade/diploma, and doing an entry exam before a jury.

Private accordion tuition is whole other story, the State can not intervene in private life, in private tuition every person can call him/herself a teacher and ask money for lessons.

But in most countries, accordion education in music schools and conservatories is strictly regulated, like any other musical instrument. All grades have official teaching plans and paths defined by the government.

How come in the UK and the USA there are no profession standards for accordion teachers? Why haven't the British Accordion Association or the USA Accordion teachers Association not cooperated with the Ministeries of Education?

That is a separate topic, and you are welcome to start a separate thread to discuss it, I'm sure it would be an interesting discussion.

Maybe indeed we should start a separate thread about this discussion.
But I think the discussion will not be worth much without the entry of actual conservatory trained accordion teachers.
It is up to them to lead this discussion, they are the most experienced on the field.
But as said before I regret the absence of accordion teachers on accordion forums.
I rest my case.

Thanks Pippa, here also is my attempt to get a couple more 'on topic' responses... :shock:

In the UK there is formally qualified accordion teachers, maybe more than one route - there is, for example, a teaching diploma to be gained from NAO, which I believe is beyond Level 8 - and a level 8 qualified player is a heck of a good player.

I doubt if that would qualify them to teach at academy but if the only lessons available were at such establishments there wouldn't be many learning, would there?

More relevantly I don't know if that qualification, as well as certifying their capability, involves a formally defined process of delivery.

And without consistent delivery, we have no way of knowing if something has changed.

I'll quizz my teach at the next opporunity.

I wonder if Paul McCartney offered to give a course on modern song writing at an accredited music school they would tell him to clear off in view of his lack of accredited qualifications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what its worth Id include in Modern teaching:
Having a clear idea of the purpose of each lesson and explaining that,
Having a good idea of how people learn,
Recognising that to say your method is Complete is unhelpful and possibly dishonest,
Having melody rather than technique at the centre of what you offer,
If you have prejudices then state them in the preface (eg if you think theory is a waste of time then say so),
Probably using more than one sense - the book just doesnt cut it on its own as so many of us do not have a teacher to decipher stuff. So audio and video are pretty much a necessity.

I could go on but would just add that being a motivated and inquisitive teacher is more important then being a star player which might even get in the way.
Oh, and writing your own material doesnt go amiss either:

Good point - I wasn't actually thinking about method books because from what I've seen not much has changed there, over the years - in fact, not wishing to start another 'off topic' debate, I think they're less comprehensive now than 50 years ago.

I've assumed teaching methods, delivered by a teacher is what is referenced.

Glenn said:
I wonder if Paul McCartney offered to give a course on modern song writing at an accredited music school they would tell him to clear off in view of his lack of accredited qualifications?

Paul McCartney is patron of the Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts - and one of its founders - which offers degree courses in, among other subjects, singing. I dont know how much teaching he actually does, but I think they quite respect him ;)

This USA site looks interesting? http://abletoplayaccordion.com

Going off topic for the moment.

When I started on the PA I couldn't easily find a fixed fingering for a LH Major Stradella scale. so worked out my own. I have a few that I can use depending on circumstances, but I never use the 5th finger for most scales. So, what is the standard fingering that is taught by established music schools?

Devs, move this to a new topic if needed.

BobM.

BobM said:
This USA site looks interesting? http://abletoplayaccordion.com

It does - looks new to me - no one on the forum. Shame it doesnt mention costs.

There is a relevant comment about the way they DONT teach.

And Im wondering if that is what my cited comment referred to?
In continental Europe, especially France, traditional teaching methods spend the first couple of years on reading music alone - little or no hands on the instrument. Now that WOULD lose many on the road.

BobM said:
Going off topic for the moment.

When I started on the PA I couldnt easily find a fixed fingering for a LH Major Stradella scale. so worked out my own. I have a few that I can use depending on circumstances, but I never use the 5th finger for most scales. So, what is the standard fingering that is taught by established music schools?

Devs, move this to a new topic if needed.

BobM.

Bump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back