• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Designing a modern accordion with Weltmeister

Status
Not open for further replies.
JeffJetton said:
landro said:
A bit late to the discussion but my foremost concern would be how to improve any current design and not add to the end cost of the product.  Improvements might be a lot easier made than containing the associated costs.
Personally I have to think a cost reduction of materials or labor would be even more important and might even be the goal in any design change .

That's a good point. Weltmeister currently sits in a spot in the market that I don't think any other manufacturer does. If the Hohner Bravo line were Wal-Mart, Weltmeister is Target... a step up, but still relatively affordable*. It would be a shame if they gave that position up.

*The Hohnica line would be, what, Dollar General? T.J. Maxx?

The work I am doing is for the high end market and won't really have an effect on the regular instruments they sell. It is possible that some of the technology would be applied to the less expensive models later if it was practical.

There is one feature that I have seen on the 2018 Hohner Morino+ accordions (relatively high end at around starting around $24,000 new), it was a chin switch... well actually it is 6 chin switches, but each chin switch controls 2 registers, selectable with a twist. That "dual switch" looks like a brilliant idea. :)

JerryPH said:
There is one feature that I have seen on the 2018 Hohner Morino+ accordions (relatively high end at around starting around $24,000 new), it was a chin switch... well actually it is 6 chin switches, but each chin switch controls 2 registers, selectable with a twist.  That "dual switch" looks like a brilliant idea.  :)

I can see how that would work , but Hohner may have a patent on that aspect of a chin switch. The Supita is available with chin switches.

kimric said:
JerryPH said:
There is one feature that I have seen on the 2018 Hohner Morino+ accordions (relatively high end at around starting around $24,000 new), it was a chin switch... well actually it is 6 chin switches, but each chin switch controls 2 registers, selectable with a twist.  That "dual switch" looks like a brilliant idea.  :)

I can see how that would work , but Hohner may have a patent on that aspect of a chin switch. The Supita is available with chin switches.

I believe it was Pigini who first introduced these chin switches that you can rotate to give it multiple functions. It's actually not 2 but 4 selectable registers under a single switch. Since Pigini now makes the higher end Hohner accordions the Morino+ and the Gola have these switches too. By now the patent must have expired and other brands have introduced such rotating chin switches as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back