• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

'Modern' accordion teaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going up the major scale on a stradella bass is 32342423 going down is 32424323

A few years ago I bought an on-line tutor by the Australian (Italian) Enzo Giribaldi.
Having already reached book 2A of the Sedlon method, I decided to jump in at the intermediate level and was pleasantly surprised. His completely different approach was a bit baffling at first because I expected all tutors to follow the accepted standard. He had me playing the left hand confidently (for me) in no time and that alone was well worth the £25 (if I remember correctly) course fee, I just wish the intermediate level 2 or advanced edition was available.
I tried a number of times to find more of this man’s material but find I am bombarded by so many adverts that I believe his site has been compromised. I don’t know much about computers but I certainly object to this level of advertising especially when the good comments would automatically sell his ‘Ecourse’.
Does anyone know what happened to this man or his course?
Garth

I just checked the USA site that was mentioned here and their forum - looks very new - will be monitored by accordion teachers!! YEAH! (I found it in the "About" section) It's hard to find trained accordion teachers but I'm going to be watching this USA site. Looks really interesting. What comment was the way the "don't teach?" So new to all this!

I think the standard fingering uses the 5th for the pattern starting up the Stradella keyboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

artelagro said:
His completely different approach was a bit baffling at first because I expected all tutors to follow the accepted standard. Garth

Interesting: What is the accepted standard? An dprobably more pertinent: What is the different appraoch?

Hi Soulsaver – I will try to explain one or two of the differences.
The intermediate course starts at page 6 with the left hand, following this order :-
C Maj Cm C7 C dim
G ditto then D ditto etc etc throughout the range
The complete bass keyboard (except for the duplicates) is covered before thinking about tunes.
Traditional method books start with C Maj G Maj & F Maj (probably in some simple tune)
Followed by Cm Gm Fm Then ditto with Dominant sevenths
Only after a long period of learning would the student be introduced to the remaining buttons.
I hope this makes some sense, If not, let me know and I will try again.
p.s. I never saw his book 1, I started with book 2 (intermediate)

JIM D. said:
Going up the major scale on a stradella bass is 32342423 going down is 32424323

I use that one, and Ive got a few, one starting on 4 and another on 2 depending on where I want to end up. I seem to remember a demo where the player used the 5th finger, and this topic made wonder whether there was a formal method that Id missed.

BobM.

There are several accepted 'norms' for bass major scale fingering, one (some?) with the pinky others without, and I think the thinking is it doesn't matter which you settle on, but the objective should be to using the same fingering on each button going up & down - and you shouldn't be using the same finger consequetively. I was sure the variations had been covered here before but I cant find it - so may been the former incarnation.

However, there is no hard & fast rule for fingering - just a concensus on what should work best for speed & accuracy.

I try to use the 5th finger more and more to get it better trained. It definitely comes in handy when you wish to use other counter bases than the more easily reached and at times over used ones. Eg. Am+C is a combination that often fits well and really relies on the 5th finger to pull it off comfortably (with my hand size anyway).

Glenn said:
I try to use the 5th finger more and more to get it better trained. It definitely comes in handy when you wish to use other counter bases than the more easily reached and at times over used ones. Eg. Am+C is a combination that often fits well and really relies on the 5th finger to pull it off comfortably (with my hand size anyway).

I do use my 5th finger when its called for, but not in a major or natural minor scale. Ive got quite a strong left hand due to playing the Double bass, using the orthodox grip which relies on the 5th finger a lot.
Im happy with my current system, I just wondered if I might be missing a trick, or some modern teaching technique.

BobM.

Hi Soulsaver
I have been told that my last description of the Enzo Giribaldi e-course was as clear as mud so I have scanned one of the pages to see if that helps.
I think I am allowed to copy one page without being sued. If he sets his lawyers on me I will stop saying good things about his course.
There appears to be two threads running together which helps the confusion - I don't know what to do about that.
Garth

Attachments

• bass.pdf
    566.3 KB · Views: 75
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back