• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Minimalism etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Butcher

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One area of classical music where there seems to be potential for accordions is minimalism and related styles. The Motion Trio, Kimmo Pohjonen, Pauline Oliveros have all done good things in this area. Anyone had a go? (One of the "lurkers" on this forum has...). Any good tips or links?

Thanks Matt, nice to hear your playing.
I know absolutely zilch about accordion minimalism.
I admire Philip Glass and Terry Reily and have even sung Avo Pärt (lovely by the way... not my singing, his choral music), but I've never considered the accordion for the role.
I look forward to learning something new.

I had to play that 3-4 times, and I liked it. It's fascinating, and I don't even listen to minimalist pieces. 40 years on, and still avant-garde. Thanks for posting Matt. Can't say much about the playing in pieces like these, at least I can't.

I would be contradicting my own advice if I was critical about something I know little or nothing about . However I can see the wisdom of Pippa et al in arranging this forum with nice little sub fori for different genres!

george ;)

Yeah but that is fine! Don't forget how much I love Jimmy Shand... All the best, Matt. ;)

To be fair, with this kind of music, I don't think there's particularly anything secret to understand, it is what it is, you like it or you don't, if you do then great. The back to basics mentality is what is behind a lot of it which might have a wider appeal than some of the music itself. Anyway, to each their own, and I like all of it.

hmm.....interesting....without "interesting" being a stock insult :tup: .......~I get the idea....it's almost like a free form of music......you could build on it with other instruments ,like a bass and percussion.....

I always get the impression that minimalist music is more fun to play than to listen to, especially if you are playing together with other performers. I had a young colleague into minimalist music many years ago. He couldn't even play any known instrument but he and his friends created sounds from odd objects or self made electronic circuits. I heard some of his recordings and was polite about the results. :)
What interested me more was his enthusiasm and obvious pride in what he had achieved.
I could play an instrument andhad years of lessons but wasless proud of my achievements (and certainly didn't record myself).

I hadn't intended this to turn into a debate over definitions but I was thinking of the kind of music with a lot of repetition, rather than experimental or improvised music in general which is where you would normally expect the odd sounds with electronics etc. It is the repetitive stuff where I think the accordion can work as the tone quality is quite fixed but you get beats and overtones produced when different reed combinations sound.

Chris the bass and percussion thing does work, Glenn mentioned Terry Riley and he did some great psychedelic freak outs in a similar vein with organ and band.

(I have taken the hint from the moderator and edited the first post in the thread.)

I'm mildly confused - is there supposed to be a sound clip somewhere? I think I like minimalism (but not too much of it :shock: ), but it'd be good to hear some samples of how you define it!

There was a clip Anyanka but it has been moved/deleted in the meantime.

BobM said:
Anyanka said:
but itd be good to hear some samples of how you define it!

Er, does 4’ 33” by John Cage count?
I have an accordion arrangement for it in F#.
Ill post a recording.

In some ways this seems to be almost leading to the question '' how do we define music'', a question to which there must be a multitude of answers, contradictions and views!. I don't see is as anything to do with is classical more musical than jazz or folk or whatever and vice vera but a more fundamental across genres debate . I'm not going to start a thread on those lines but if anybody does wish to it could lead to some interesting views and maybe even dodgmatisms (is there such a word?) being aired!

george

BobM said:
Anyanka said:
but itd be good to hear some samples of how you define it!

Ill post a recording.[/quote]

Looking forward to it. Any tips on bellows control?

BobM said:
Ill post a recording.[/quote]

Looking forward to it. Any tips on bellows control?[/quote]
The only one I can think of is: Smile :D
Sod the bellows.

Just a jolly, poppy clip of some accordion music that comes out of minimalism: (I havent actually heard this particular clip, only a commercial recording of this, so I may find out later in the day that its not what I thought). I hope its reassuring. Im fairly sure its music, not necessarily my favourite but perhaps one example of something that is going on out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back