• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Minimalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

saundersbp

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Watching a new BBC drama about a psychotic minimalist architect just made me start thinking about minimalist music. It seems to be hugely popular with the public and you can barely put on a recent TV film or drama without hearing something all too familiar but you don't know the name of in the background. I think this sort of music works really well on the accordion and just wondered if anyone had tried playing anything and how they got on with it?

Hmmmm, can you give an example? I don't know it.

Minimalist Architecture ??
Is that like living under a bush??
Minimalist music: composed entirely of rests ??

I tinker a lot in this area,

most of the time I will lay down a progression on accordion, for some other project
then, after a while I come by this recording again, and overdub something like cello (via MIDI)

or the other way around,
I play one of the cinema patches of Analog Lab, like Cinema Layers or Golden Fields
and overdub that with a dry accordion line

paired with old film docu/footage this makes for great clips

I've been checking "gospel" studies of late on YouTube and aside from the stonking old school shout styles and the modern neosoul sounds there is also a reflective style they call "prayer" style...
Made up with very slow movement...often may appear undirectional but common progression seems to float between the Root Maj 7th chord to the 2nd which is often played as a diminished chord but the floats around the 2nd7th or 2nd minor 7th gently leading notes from chord change to change .....Bass line is non existent...staying on the Root the whole time ..a whisper of a heart beat at best......
Takes some patience and a meditative state of mind to play well...

Thanks for responses - I was thinking more of very popular mainstream minimalist composers - e.g. Philip Glass, Arvo Part, Max Richter etc. that you hear on the TV/film - good example being dramas like 'The Departure', 'Tales from the loop' or the Arvo Part in the film 'Gravity'

These are three I play on the accordion and enjoyed learning.

Minimalism did a great job of freeing "modern music" from hideous avant-garde-ness.
I guess it might be not be the most popular with orchestral players? "repeat this bar 34 times"

I agree Tom. Minimalism is more for the listen than the performer.

Do you know any musical style that is more suited to the player than the listener?

I am a big fan of Philip Glass and a somewhat smaller fan of David Diamond - but admit I've never experimented with that kind of style with the accordion, whether listening, playing, or composing. Will keep an eye on this thread for further interesting items linked.

As for the Ives... I'll certainly agree that The Unanswered Question doesn't seem to be written for the listener:)

As for the Ives... I'll certainly agree that The Unanswered Question doesn't seem to be written for the listener:)
The few times I seen/heard The Unanswered Question performed live, the strings were behind the stage curtain, the trumpet was out in the audience in a balcony, and the woodwinds were on stage. Performed and heard live it is quite haunting. It also may sound good on a high quality sound system that can accomodate the wide range of highs and lows (I've never had one, so I'm just guessing). Some people think that the strings represent the slow (from an earth perspective) movement of the spheres in space, the trumpet is asking the question "Why do we exist?") over and over, and the woodwinds are squawking the typical answers and arguing among themselves. Ives, however, never said anything about that.

Compared to this next one, by Ives's contemporary Anton Webern, The Unanswered Question is like a lullaby.

Last edited:
The few times I seen/heard The Unanswered Question performed live, the strings were behind the stage curtain, the trumpet was out in the audience in a balcony, and the woodwinds were on stage....

My first hearing of it was live, in my early teens. It made such a strong (negative) impression on me that it poisoned my opinion of Ives, and of 20th century American music in general, for decades afterward. Listening to it again now it doesn't sound nearly as bad, or as shocking, as I thought it was back then.
The performance I saw had only the trumpet offstage. Probably just a matter of space, nowhere to hide the whole string section.

My best friend at the time was a violist, now deceased, who loved Webern and Stockhausen, and insisted that I give each of them a try. I did, but wasn't particularly receptive. I tried to seduce him into loving Wagner and Sibelius, with similarly unsuccessful results. We met in the middle and both embraced Shostakovich.

Compared to this next one, by Ives's contemporary Anton Webern, The Unanswered Question is like a lullaby.

You may be surprised that I would have said the opposite.
The Webern is more-or-less honest up front about what it's going to be. I could actually imagine falling asleep to it, sort of like listening to a wind chime outside my window. The Ives...sneaks in under false colors, grabs you by the earlobe, and twists. It leaves me wide awake, unsettled, and ready to kick the next animal that crosses my path.

I suppose that means it's effective, in its way. I do have a reaction to it, vs. the Webern.

Sorry for contributing to derailing the minimalism thread - I suppose I should have followed Tom's example and moved this topic elsewhere.

Hello! I'm an Japanese accordion lover and not good at English..sorry(><)
I love minimalism and also love Max Richter! As you know, I think Yann Tiersen who is famous for Amelie is one of the composers of minimalism. Joe Hisaishi who is Japanese composer is too. I wish I could compose music like them... In my opinion, free bass accordion is better for minimalism than standard one. Actually, I'll buy and try to study free bass accordion next year. Anyway, I was happy to look this thread related to minimalism, I couldn't help posting my comment!

Hi Tomoko - great to hear from you. I also like Max Richter for film music. If you get a free bass accordion and want to learn any minimalism I'm happy to help as I've music for CBA / FB.

Screenshot 2021-12-22 08.29.52.png
Screenshot 2021-12-22 08.29.27.png

Screenshot 2021-12-22 08.29.00.png

Screenshot 2021-12-22 08.28.40.png

I think we are really blurring the lines between various 20th century or modern composition styles: Atonal/12 tone/serialism such as Webern or Stockhausen is radically different than Minimalism (i.e. Glass, Reich, Riley, etc.) and neoclassicism (more where I would place Richter, Einaudi, some of Tiersen’s work). Some of them also incorporate elements of ambient as well.

Many of these have been used in cinematic contexts so they sometimes get lumped together, but linking them simply by the century in which they were created is a bit like having Leadbelly, Cole Porter, Joni Mitchell, Sex Pistols, Michael Jackson, Kraftwerk and Hans Zimmer in the same record bin simply labeled “1900-1999”

Key characteristics of minimalism (from the BBC website)

• a complex contrapuntal texture
  • broken chords (where the notes of a chord are played singly rather than together)
  • slow harmonic changes
  • melodic cells (the use of fragmentary ideas)
  • note addition (where notes are added to a repeated phrase)
  • melodic transformation (where a melody gradually changes shape)
  • rhythmic transformation (where a rhythm gradually changes shape)
  • gradual changes in texture and dynamics
  • resultant melody, where a melody emerges as the same notes occur at the same time in the phase, giving them emphasis
  • tonal ambiguity where the key is not clear or different harmonisations are possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back