• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Chromatic Accordion C System Scale and Chord Patterns

RowanSumner

Reaction score
For anyone looking for finger patterns for scales for the chromatic accordion, this website gives the clearest diagram I have found for understanding the button patterns. Which fingers to use is of great debate, but if, like me, you're new to the instrument this may be helpful. There is plenty of other information on this site with diagrams for Melodions, Bandoneons etc. which may be of interest to you also.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for CBA scales and chords

For anyone looking for finger patterns for scales for the chromatic accordion, this website gives the clearest diagram I have found for understanding the button patterns. Which fingers to use is of great debate, but if, like me, you're new to the instrument this may be helpful. There is plenty of other information on this site with diagrams for Melodions, Bandoneons etc. which may be of interest to you also.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for CBA scales and chords

DiagramIndex.htm
Hi Rowan,

Thanks for posting these - I had a quick look at the C system ones which don't make much sense.
I thought I might be going mad, then I looked at who suggested the fingering: the player of a virtually unique left handed accordion.
Unless you have one of these one in a million instruments, do not follow the fingering!

Rudolf Würthner also was a wellknown and appreciated soloist. As it was impossible for him to play on a normal right handed accordeon, due to the accident, he had ordered a left handed accordion at the factory of Hohner. The button side of such an accordion is just the opposit of a normal instrument: it has the law tones below and the high tones on top of the button side. Also the basses are placed the opposit way. In 1948 he became Vice World Champion at the contest in Lausanne, with a presentation of his own arrangements of Bach's works for organ.

Hi Rowan,

Thanks for posting these - I had a quick look at the C system ones which don't make much sense.
I thought I might be going mad, then I looked at who suggested the fingering: the player of a virtually unique left handed accordion.
Unless you have one of these one in a million instruments, do not follow the fingering!

Rudolf Würthner also was a wellknown and appreciated soloist. As it was impossible for him to play on a normal right handed accordeon, due to the accident, he had ordered a left handed accordion at the factory of Hohner. The button side of such an accordion is just the opposit of a normal instrument: it has the law tones below and the high tones on top of the button side. Also the basses are placed the opposit way. In 1948 he became Vice World Champion at the contest in Lausanne, with a presentation of his own arrangements of Bach's works for organ.
Yes quite, personally I'm getting on quite well with Anzaghi's fingering, although I appreciate most people dont like that either! I posted these as the diagram showing the button order, as apposed to finger order. If you know what I mean.

I'm just looking at the C major fingering, I'm not entirely sure how that's easier with the left hand anyway!

Back