• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

How to get a chromatic button accordion in the USA?

Probably more about middle class snobbery - pianos were "in" but button accordions were for working class immigrants and folksie bums.
You are probably right. It's another non-sense discriminatory reason for something over something else, like in other regions where they claim that piano-accordions are for women and button-accordions are for men...
In any case, such discrimination may well be the cause for button accordions being in short supply in America, compared to piano accordions.

will we see 3 row Bayans making a major comeback after this brutal War is over
because so many of the wounded soldiers will have less fingers to play with

It's probably a historical accident 🤔🙂.
Here's something about it:
Some really interesting things in the historical record of the PA in America. It certainly had its day in the sun. Quite disappointed the author left Charles Magnante and Anthony Galla-Rini out of the story, a big oversight.

Interestingly, if you check the 1955 photo of Bill Haley and the Comets you will see the accordionist plays a very, very rare Hohner Gola from the period before the design was finalised. It had black and white couplers. Incredible accordion!

My teacher, Charles Nunzio, told me that Frosini, who was his teacher, could not get work because of the design of his accordion. That’s why he had to make that false piano keyboard on top of the chromatic keyboard. Could you believe that?

My teacher, Charles Nunzio, told me that Frosini, who was his teacher, could not get work because of the design of his accordion. That’s why he had to make that false piano keyboard on top of the chromatic keyboard. Could you believe that?
I could, and it was true... and a lot of other button accordionists had to do the same to survive in that part of the USA for anything accordion related. :D

Hello there,
as part of my accordionists path, I am interested in learning how to play a Chromatic button accordion (like the great russians Bayan).

However, here in the USA, where I live, it seems kind of difficult to find one used and a reasonable price. Most of the accordions here are piano ones.

So, my question will be:

How should search for an used Chromatic Button accordion in the USA that is good for learning? Should I import it from abroad instead? W

Also, since I'm here, I would like to ask:

What are the advantages of learning the Chromatic button layout in comparison to the piano one?

I read somewhere that the Chromatic button accordion might be convenient to learn in the long run, but I would like to know what the folks here think.

That would be everything. Thanks for your attention.

Regards,

Jaime
I got a very nice C system CBA on the French eBay site eBay.fr . If you search under “accordéon” you will find a long list of very reasonably priced instruments and virtually all CBA C systems.
You will usually need to negotiate with the seller on the shipping cost but many will work with you on getting it to the US.
You won’t really know what you have till you get it, but worth the chance if you get one for just a few hundred dollars.
The other option is Reverb.com which has CBAs from all over Europe and takes care of all the shipping for you but a little more expensive.
Good luck!!

🤔

IMO the only thing piano accordion has going for it is... the fact there are a lot of people who know how to play pianos who want a shortcut to learning a new instrument. If you are a pianist already, that can be compelling. (I'm not.)...
There tend to be stylistic and expressive tendencies based on the idiomatic application of given instruments. For example, there are techniques and devices in playing blues music on a PA that utilize sliding off of black keys - which are raised relative to the white keys - that inflect particular timing, weight, and phrasing which is part of the stylistic lexicon. The position of the keys lends to particular technical approaches which result in stylistic expression. This is true for every musical instrument, no matter the type - physiognomy influences and perhaps dictates musical application (my hardanger fiddle is not going to play violin repertoire very well, and vice versa).

I wanted to play CBA - having already an affinity for buttons, being a diatonic accordion player - but being in the states, I happened upon a PA. Through the years, I developed a repertoire and stylistic approach derived from some of the traditions of keyboard playing in the states (blues, boogie-woogie, New Orleans, etc). So that's how my fate with chromatic accordions came about. I'm happy fate went this way for me, as my instrument choices are much more vast; I've got a roomful of accordions, all procured inexpensively.

*Incidentally, I had a similar fate with diatonic accordions; I picked up a club accordion because it was inexpensive - being that they're out of favor in the world of accordions - only to find my musical voice in the style of their application :)

Last edited:
I got a very nice C system CBA on the French eBay site eBay.fr . If you search under “accordéon” you will find a long list of very reasonably priced instruments and virtually all CBA C systems.
That's how I got my Fratelli Crosio. Incredibly, it survived its trip to the other side of the world in a cardboard box and a little upholstery padding, with no apparent damage. It was an interesting instrument - good sound, but with some issues, marginal for playing in public.

That's how I got my Fratelli Crosio. Incredibly, it survived its trip to the other side of the world in a cardboard box and a little upholstery padding, with no apparent damage. It was an interesting instrument - good sound, but with some issues, marginal for playing in public.
My story is similar. Arrived in its case with no padding around it and with cardboard taped around the case with the shipping label on it. Except there were reed plates rattling around inside and the bass mechanism was jolted out of position.
A few YouTube videos and a pad of accordion wax later I had a very nice instrument and learned a ton fixing it up. Win all round in the end.

Luckily, my accordion, like many from that part of the world, had its reed plates nailed in place.

It now has a new owner - and my current accordion is riding in a shipping container on its way across the oceans. Luckily it too is a French accordion with the nails, and a bass mechanism that I think is proof against collapse. I mean, I suppose the fungo bass buttons would help with that by themselves, but that 60's Cavagnolo's bass mechanism has aluminum internal structural plates. I sort of love the Italians, but when there's a lot of money involved ...

I have been importing Soviet era CBA instruments on a limited basis for a couple of years. You can get them pretty cheaply BUT they seem to have almost always had pretty rough service over the years and often the reeds were not that good ,or really badly gapped so it is a lot of shop time to get them up to speed, and I usually have to replace about 10-15% of the reeds and half the valves. The wax used was much softer than what is used in Italy and my uninformed opinion is that this was better suited to the cold there. The reeds are often falling out.
This usually means a lot of wax replacement.
This means that a instrument from my shop will cost quite a bit more than you will see them elsewhere. But they will play well and come with a warranty.
The one I have in my shop now was a light weight single reed instrument , and the reeds were pretty rough. I had a student Guerrini that was thrashed so I replaced all the right side reeds with those (hand finished with rivet washers) and tuned them to match. Some reeds on the left were replaced too.
Some of these are set up in such a way that it is not that hard to swap the reed blocks to change then to a C system (some modification is usually required). You have to remove and move some buttons if you want to do it right.

for those in central USA and looking for c system

this is a Solton flat type keyboard layout electronic accordion

Without making judgment about where it is wise to buy from, here are how I've found CBA's near enough to drive to see (I live in New Hampshire). I'd guess that you have more close to you. Most of all, if you don't see what you want, give it time! I try to look once a week.

I have not followed up on any of these yet - I'm looking too.

- craigslist, ebay, facebook marketplace, reverb
All of these will filter based on distance and "local pickup available". I recommend searching for just "accordion" , not "chromatic accordion" or "chromatic button accordion", and filter to CBA's by eye. They are very often not labelled as such. I suspect reverb is best, but YMMV. Some sellers clearly know their stuff, others clueless.

- accordion shops
These are surprisingly hard to search for. For instance Google will broaden any search I've used, and instead searches for any old musical instrument seller. But you don't have to search! Forum member lordzedd has made this great list! Some shops have lists of instruments for sale that Google doesn't see for some reason. Some owners will help in unpredictable ways.

- CBA players within your search range
Teachers, band members, etc are findable and may know something. I haven't done this yet - I want to be a little more certain of my needs first.

Back