• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

CBA with no register switches

LibraryJoe

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm learning a lot from the forum, as I learn C system CBA after many years playing piano accordion. I am really appreciating the logic in its treble layout, and enjoy the lesser weight of CBAs. It's been clear that the majority of members suggest I explore used German or Italian accordions.

My skills on PA are decent, and I'm pleased with the progress I've made in just 4 months playing my Chinese made E Soprani, which I know is a student model of dubious reputation and quality. It has no register switches, and the bass notes seem to overpower the upper notes in this 62/72 button arrangement.

Used CBAs in the states are hard to come by. Recently I've come across a Hohner Accordina II which has 43 treble tones and 80 bass buttons and MM tuning. It's weight is 14.8 pounds---an ideal weight for me-- but it has no register switches on either treble or bass.

Will I find the lack of bass register switches to be overpowering to my upper register treble notes, or is that particular to my inexpensive Chinese box?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

MM without a switch suggests that it was intended for a narrow
ethnic use that this 2 reed musette is specifically tuned for,
and likely very appropriate and useful for it's stated purpose
(whatever that tuning fits)

lots of songs it will sound great on, no doubt,
but are they the songs you like to play ?

if you can be happy within those confines, those specialty
old Hohners are nice instruments and worth having

is it the one on Reverb ?

personally, i have a musette specialty box for French strolling,
but it is MMM and has that rich full musette sound.. i doubt
i would have settled for just a 2 reed MM, which is a subset of
my bigger LMMH boxes, and fine there because you don't
need to use it ALL the time of course

if you look at it as a stepping stone toward the MMM you will someday own ?

it is certainly a solid a step up from the E.

Back