• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Executing glissando on CBA

mrkeelermr

Reaction score
Can anyone share examples or tips on techniques for executing a glissando with the right hand on a CBA? I play B-system if that’s relevant.

The examples I’ve found are given on PA, where I’ll see players slide their fingers (sometimes palm) up or down the white keys.

Do you play a very fast chromatic run? Slide your finger(s) up/down a single row (run of minor thirds)? Something else? I understand that mastering any technique will require practice, practice, practice, and I’m willing to do so but hoping I can get some pointers before I dedicate a bunch of time to this.

Any pointers would be appreciated! I’d especially value links to video demonstrations of a technique if you happen to have any. Thanks in advance!

On B system it can be done.....
Check some footage of Dutch master
Johnny Meijer
and you see him make some sweet gliss sweeps as effect here and there... unfortunately I play C system and as the steps of the keyboard are opposite it's not possible here

I slide (two or three) fingers over two or three rows of buttons. A run over just one row of buttons only works for a very long glissando but for something between one and two octaves the glissando is too short.
I have also seen how Ludovic Beier does it (on C system): with a (half) circular motion. Sounds quite nice too.
Obviously an all-white-key glissando cannot be done on CBA, but then, it is only the appropriate glissando when music is in C major.

Check some footage of Dutch master
Johnny Meijer
and you see him make some sweet gliss sweeps as effect here and there...

Thank you for sharing, I had never heard of him before. What a player! I can’t understand a word they’re saying in this documentary about him on YouTube but he hits a few glissandi here and there, using a few different techniques from what I can see:

1. Timestamps 7:40, 14:20, 19:42, 20:30— seems to be the technique @debra mentioned of sliding through notes on 2+ rows of buttons. He appears to slightly curve his knuckles toward the floor when sliding up to higher notes, maybe using a fingernail to smoothly slide through the keys? The 20:30 example is impressive: multiple successive fast glissandi landing on chords; thankfully the camera is zoomed in on his right hand.
  2. Timestamps 23:36, 27:46 — sliding a finger up a single file (?) of buttons, for example C C# D, or Eb E F. I have a 3 row right hand manual, so this would seem to work best for a short glissando targeting notes on the outermost row. If I had a 5 row I could target any note this way, and if going from the innermost to outermost row could have up to 5 notes chromatically. Limited range, but also very easy to do.
  3. Timestamp 26:39 — possibly the semicircular motion @debra mentioned?
As a bonus, there’s a cute dog at his feet while he’s playing at timestamp 6:19, and some neat left hand licks with right hand accompaniment at 20:23.

Thanks again for turning me on to Johnny Meijer, will definitely be checking out more footage of him playing.

Would love to know of any other masters I can watch and learn from!

Will check them out! Art Van Damme and Leon Sash I have heard of, but Ernie Felice and Joe Mooney are new to me.

To Debra’s mention of Ludovic Beier, he was also new to me. And also a monster player, so thanks for that.

I found some glissando examples in a couple Beier performances, for example:

• Timestamp 3:17 in
  • Timestamp 0:47 in
There are more examples in those videos as well. The half circle technique debra mentioned is on display in the first I believe.

Thanks again for the recommendations. Searching google for “CBA glissando” doesn’t turn up many results but I can spot/hear (and hence learn from) them in the performances of the artists mentioned in this thread. Sometimes you just need to know the “magic words” to punch into google. :)

Back