• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Brand new accordionist want to be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where to buy an accordion? I live in Phoenix, Arizona USA. Is anyone on this forum aware of where to buy an accordion in Arizona? Or is there a reputable place to buy from online?
Take a look at guitarcenter.com to browse what they can order for you. There is a Guitar Center just about everywhere. Then ask on this forum about the reputation of manufacturers. I saw a SofiaMari for $579.

Respectfully, I'd be wary of SofiaMari. Dunlustin's recommendation of a Panther is better and cheaper. SofiaMari instruments can be playable once professionally voiced...their reed gaps (and responsiveness) are all over the place. If you found a used one for $200-300, it might be worthwhile.

Personally...I would also be pretty wary of Guitar Center, even if looking for a guitar! (You could get a location with excellent techs, or not.)

Last edited:
Ventura definitely knows of what he speaks, I read his posts with great pleasure and seriousness, but now I think I have the opportunity to enlighten him a bit. Here is Mairtin O'Connor on a two row diatonic playing Indifference. He plays as an equal to the French greats on the excellent Paris Musette series of recordings. What do you think of his playing here Ventura?

That said, I would recommend a small chromatic button accordion to most people starting out.

Maybe it is more fun to change the subject.
Did you know that Mairtin O'C plays a 2-row tuned c#/d (hash tag 'cats and pigeons whatever that means.)
and
'He was also invited to play on the prestigious Paris Musette record series (vol.2 and vol.3) chronicling the history the Musette in the early 90′s.'
see: http://mairtinoconnor.ie/about/

Congrats and may it bring a lot of joy.
And regarding our earlier back-and-forth about the ease or suitability of different systems... my final thought is: the easiest instrument to learn, and most suited to your goals, is usually whichever one you feel drawn to playing and can't put down!

Well, I received my new accordion, GCF 3 row diatonic. I played all the treble buttons and one fell off. Does this happen often? What should I do?

I'm tempted to say you need to go hunting but the fact is it's not always clear how to do that!

https://www.libertybellows.com/lessons.htm Liberty bellows

Beginner

Zydeco lesson 4

The button: bad sign. Weltmeister has a good rep' these days. Nice looking instrument. Contact the shop.
If the button was going to fall off it should have happened when they checked it out before selling.

If you love everything else about it, I'd call that a home fix. Exact method depends on whether it was a push pin, screw, or glue attachment.

Well, I received my new accordion, GCF 3 row diatonic. I played all the treble buttons and one fell off. Does this happen often? What should I do?
Maybe if you posted a closeup picture of the keyboard section where hole is, and button,
it would be easier for the tech people in the forum to tell you how to proceed.

Worth photographing the keyboard with the missing button for record purposes anyway.
It's disappointing but no big deal. I assume it looks glued on rather than screwed. I'd just glue it back on.

What do you think of his playing here Ventura?

his instrument is a natural extension of his brain and body

you want to have French people in the next room, perhaps sipping wine at a bar,
noticing the music is kind of amazing then they get up and walk into the other room
and cannot find anyone holding the kind of accordion they are expecting to see

ciao

Ventura

I was doing the hoovering this morning (as you do) and, when moving the coffee table, I found one of the pearl buttons from my cba on the carpet o_O
On checking my accordion, I found the very highest button on the bottom row was missing.
On checking the other buttons, 7 were loose and needed tightening up.
Strangely enough , all were on the bottom row and all the rest were tight.
Dread to think where I would get a matching replacement if it had disappeared up the hoover.
Here's a past post by Pipemajor addressing the same issue.

Here's a link to the whole thread that came from:?

Last edited:
Here are a few photos of the button that came off my accordion. It was glued. Any advice as to which glue to use and how to go about fixing this?

Attachments

• 496624C4-184C-49CB-BC28-4044A2E91147.jpeg
    496624C4-184C-49CB-BC28-4044A2E91147.jpeg
    322.6 KB · Views: 17
  • E01F9839-816B-4B08-A266-5DDD8E6D518D.jpeg
    E01F9839-816B-4B08-A266-5DDD8E6D518D.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 83421BCB-898B-4F68-8DC3-9263D7C92F68.jpeg
    83421BCB-898B-4F68-8DC3-9263D7C92F68.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 17
I'm tempted to say you need to go hunting but the fact is it's not always clear how to do that!

https://www.libertybellows.com/lessons.htm Liberty bellows

Beginner

Zydeco lesson 4

The button: bad sign. Weltmeister has a good rep' these days. Nice looking instrument. Contact the shop.
If the button was going to fall off it should have happened when they checked it out before selling.
The shop is in Pennsylvania and I’m in Arizona so I called them. They just said to glue it back on with some super glue. I wish it had happened at their shop instead. I was excited to get my accordion and start learning to “play” it...not fix it first off. Since it is on the inside row I’m just going to learn the C and G rows first anyway and see what advice comes in from you all :). Thanks for helping.

I would clean the glue residue on the wooden rod (careful it won't go to the inside of instrument, probably some tweezers can help) then I would apply a small amount of white elmer's glue (school glue) on all the inside of button, make sure it won't drip any glue when you turn button the other way, and just put it back and press on it for a little while, and let it dry completely (i would say it will be safe to use the accordion after 12 hours or so). Good luck!

Ops, I wouldn't use superglue on it but that is me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back