• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Irregular tremolo in brand new accordion plus other issues

The diatonics stop at Morino I believe. The Morino is a 3-row 5-voice, double cassotto box.

The diatonics stop at Morino I believe. The Morino is a 3-row 5-voice, double cassotto box.
I mean the Corona as the “Gola” of the diatonic accordions. Not that it is the epitome of high quality sound and workmanship like the Gola, but more as the vintage “gotta have” symbol. Whether it was made in Germany or Italy or ??????

The Gola is definitely a special accordion, at least the old ones are. A gola from about 20 years ago is not a very special accordion. It's a very good one, but no better than a top of the line Pigini or Bugari, imho.
People who wanted a status symbol instead of a Morino used to buy a Hohner Goletta (sometimes called Golina). These accordions look like a Gola, but internally they are just Morino quality (including e.g. just tipo-a-mano reeds instead of a-mano), but they tend to go for twice the price of a Morino. You can buy a "gold" Gola label to replace the Goletta label, and most people would probably not notice that the accordion was not a real Gola. People who really know about accordions would notice it instantly though.
I know a guy who owns the reverse: a non-gold Gola (he decided to keep it that way for historical reasons). It was a template Gola for Excelsior, so Gola insisted to have everything in top quality, but the grille isn't golden as it wasn't intended to be sold.

Anyone want one? I have a Morino Club N in CF for sale. Tuned and revised (by a real good tuner) about 12 years ago, essentially just sitting in playing position in closed case since then. Not a lightweight for a diatonic.

I've bought mine already I'm afraid (that's the one being cleared through customs), so unless it has to be sent back on the account of missing reed blocks or some other major issue, I'm sorted.
It's only about 9.5kg in weight - that's feather weight comparted to its CBA big brother.

I figured I'd try a diatonic box, and a Morino can't be too bad a place to start.

What about the responsibility of the shop, though? I bought it from them (a reputable american accordion shop), not straight from Hohner.
Robbellow: Quite right!!
Like cars which might lie about in unsheltered compounds, stationary for months before being sold do receive a good going over by the seller (not the maker) before being handed to the buyer. Accordions should receive the same attention from a reputable dealer worthy of the name.
I have seen several Bravos for mostly small repairs and consider them good for the price they are sold at. Since they are made to German standards, albeit in China, it is unfair to refer to them as Chinese rubbish. Hohner are not associated with rubbish.
Robbellow: It seems like several months have passed since you bought the Bravo (and in this period some reed repairs have been made). At this distance it may be harder to get recompense from the seller (unless, perhaps, you were trading it in for a more expensive instrument).
I sense that there is very little that is wrong with your Bravo which couldn't be fixed quite easily by a good repair person.

P.S. The 'chinese problem' has risen up many times on this forum and I remember one of the concluding comments (from an American member) on one thread was something like this:

The chinese are perfectly capable of building to a high standard but in this capitalist world build to a standard which is competitive.

I've bought mine already I'm afraid (that's the one being cleared through customs), so unless it has to be sent back on the account of missing reed blocks or some other major issue, I'm sorted.
It's only about 9.5kg in weight - that's feather weight comparted to its CBA big brother.

I figured I'd try a diatonic box, and a Morino can't be too bad a place to start.
Well, 9.5kg may be a handicap for turning on a dime. At least it has enough helper buttons in the third row that you can probably evade bellows reversals a good deal.

I wonder if the Corona II (minus bass side) owes its desirability in the U.S to Flaco Jimenez - y familia?

In Europe, 3-rows are not that widely used - or haven't been for quite a while. The 2-row GC is the workhorse in much of Europe (But more DG in UK, CF in Germany?) which gets built on by better reeds and the 3rd 'accidental' row +more and more bass/chord options.

A Corona II ( ADG, with subdued tremolo) was my only accordion for 20+ years. A bit more flexibility and more options across the rows did not really make up for the added bulk. (PS That seems a bit pathetic now the topic has turned to the BIG Club boxes.)

In Steirische world a 3-row is considered to be old-fashioned, or so I've been told - everyone's on 4, or even 5 rows.

Claudia Hinker doesn't seem to have any problems wrestling with one the size of a CBA though.

I know a guy who owns the reverse: a non-gold Gola (he decided to keep it that way for historical reasons). It was a template Gola for Excelsior, so Gola insisted to have everything in top quality, but the grille isn't golden as it wasn't intended to be sold.
I guess that kinda debunks the claim many people made that Hohner kept producing the Gola in Trossingen Germany (completely). I always suspected that at least part (maybe a large part) of the production of the Gola moved to Excelsior together with the Morino production, and later maybe moved again, to Pigini (when Pigini acquired Excelsior). Having seen a Gola from around the year 2000 on the inside I immediately noticed that it looks very very much like a high quality Italian accordion, and nothing like a Gola made by Hohner in Germany...

I agree with Tom. When researching diatonic manufacturers before purchasing a Baffetti, I eliminated the Coronas (and other Horner's) based on "button clack" noise. The clack was so evident I found myself focusing on the clacking over the pitches. Other popular "Border music" brands suffered this issue as well. I settled on the Baffetti largely due to this issue. And glad I did. The Baffetti is almost clatter free and mostly unnoticeable. I attribute this to the use of felt buffers on the "release" portion of the button movement. Simple and inexpensive feature often overlooked on cheaper models. Even the high end Gabbies clack too much for me (don't know if they use a buffer or not).
Example: Go to 8:40-8:50 for an illustration of what I'm referring to, 14:34-15:00 while playing a song (most annoying).

I have to say I am very impressed by the old (pre 60s) Hohner club Morino that has finally arrived. The build quality is excellent and the sound is very pleasant for each register. The keyboard feel is nice (if a bit on the tight) side. I'm in love :love:.

Also, it's so small, light and cute, it's like a couple Morino CBAs had a baby.

I have to say I am very impressed by the old (pre 60s) Hohner club Morino that has finally arrived. The build quality is excellent and the sound is very pleasant for each register. The keyboard feel is nice (if a bit on the tight) side. I'm in love :love:
Pre 60s? Pics or it didn't happen!

And yes, those instruments are great, except for weight (the pre-60s instruments are likely lighter than its Excelsior successors) and, well, the Club system that is not much sought after these days.

But the sound should really be among the best you can get for diatonics.

I'm assuming it's pre 60s, as it still has German reeds in it and the old round button register switches. Afaik, in the 60s the production shifted to Italy and the reeds got swapped.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm assuming it's pre 60s, as it still has German reeds in it and the old round button register switches. Afaik, in the 60s the production shifted to Italy and the reeds got swapped.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
According to the Hohner model list, the first batch was produced from 1949 to 1965. Earlier than I would have thought, and later than you thought.

Back