• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Birds Eye Views

Walker

🪗
Reaction score
A few years ago there was a thing called slow TV. I sometimes quite enjoyed watching it. Usually a long video of a peaceful country scene from a slow moving river boat, or something. It was quite relaxing. But recently I discovered the countryside drone videos on Youtube, it's quite an impressive genre at times. It reminded me how beautiful a world we live in.

However, I would like to share three short videos of Scotland. It is a country of contrasting landscapes.

The Scottish Western Isles - Stunning island beaches

The Highlands - dramatic wild hills and glens

The Scottish Borders - A lush landscape laden with ancient history.

There will doubtless be great videos from every country... Why not share something?​

Last edited:
Thank you Dingo. There are a lot of nice places in Scotland, that's just a few videos I found when doing a quick search of the scenic drone videos. Perthshire and Argyll are very nice too, and quite different. Anyway, I have seen lots on TV about Australia, it's an incredible place.

Actually, in the interest of giving both sides of my heritage, both Scottish and Irish (mothers side), here's a short drone video of the Emerald Isle. If you look closely I think you will find there are actually 41 shades of green. 🤣

Last edited:
Thank you Dingo. There are a lot of nice places in Scotland, that's just a few videos I found when doing a quick search of the scenic drone videos. Perthshire and Argyll are very nice too, and quite different. Anyway, I have seen lots on TV about Australia, it's an incredible place.

Actually, in the interest of giving both sides of my heritage, both Scottish and Irish (mothers side), here's a short drone video of the Emerald Isle. If you look closely I think you will find there are actually 41 shades of green. 🤣

But, can you count the number of varieties of 'bulldust red' which appear in videos of Australia? ;)

On the video of Glen Coe, at the head of this thread, the remains of the road built by General Wade in the years following the '45 rebellion are quite plain. (They're mostly in the foreground between the drone and the modern road). Despite his imperialistic presence he was generally made welcome as his 'military' roads were a big step forward in communication. There's even a bagpipe tune called 'Wade's welcome to Inverness'.

Dingo: I find your own Australian landscape fascinating. It's only in later years I've come to begin to appreciate the size of the place. There's been lots of TV here about truckers, railroads ranching and nature. I didn't learn all my Australian watching 'Crocodile Dundee'!! In the late 50s/early 60s to address a shortage of skilled people the Australian Government started a £10 scheme. For £10 you got a passage to Australia (for the family) and free accommodation when you got there. I think that lasted for 6 months (not sure) while you 'found your feet'. I did attend their interview in Edinburgh but a marine engineering career got the upper hand.

Last edited:
Back