• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Back Porch Views

Thanks everyone.

Autumn was making its presence known these last few days. I have noticed a big change in the weather as we had four days of dense mist. It cleared for a short while, so I took a quick photo out the back of the house.

Thankfully, the mist has gone now but the birch and larch are turning bronze. Might be a while before the oaks turn...

That Yorkshire view is gorgeously green @saundersbp. Is that a textile mill in the photo? Wonderful stuff.

@losthobos, awesome coast and sky. Makes me want to go on holiday there.

@Tom, thanks for sharing. Mind and watch out for grizzlies and things that want to envenomate you. ๐Ÿ•ท๏ธ
Yeah, this fellow has been around lately (friend's pic, I have not seen him). Black bears, yes, but no grizzlies in Wisconsin.

290513017(2).jpeg

We saw a clip on the news, here, of a tourist fending off a black bear, that had chased him up a tree, with his foot. Eventually the bear gave up.
Of course, here, we had a great white shark take a huge bite out of a surf skier's canoe half a mile off shore one of our suburban beaches ๐Ÿ˜ฌ.
See here:

Wow @Tom, Wisconsin has an incredibly rich natural heritage. I just spent some time reading about bobcats, lynx, rattlesnakes, northern black widow spiders, black bears, coyotes, skunks etc... In the UK, we have only a fraction of the variety of wildlife. Total respect to anyone who lives in the woods with the howling wolves. ๐Ÿบ

We don't really have any wildlife that would make you check your boots before putting them on, or think twice before lifting firewood from the pile. When I was a kid my mother used to tell me stories about spookie things, like Will o' the wisp or the banshee. I think it's a country thing to tell such stories. In the absence of rattlesnakes and mountain lions, I suppose ghost stories and the likes kept me enthrawled, especially as the late autumn days drew in.

That said, I was walking recently near a forest on the edge of Loch Ness. I heard the most unearthly, prehistoric, screeching sound from deep amongst the pines. I have never heard such a noise and would not like to meet the creature that made it. Just sayin'...

We saw a clip on the news, here, of a tourist fending off a black bear, that had chased him up a tree, with his foot. Eventually the bear gave up.
Of course, here, we had a great white shark take a huge bite out of a surf skier's canoe half a mile off shore one of our suburban beaches ๐Ÿ˜ฌ.
See here:
Australia is amazing but scary. Crocs and sharks, even before you set foot on land.

Wow @Tom, Wisconsin has an incredibly rich natural heritage. I just spent some time reading about bobcats, lynx, rattlesnakes, northern black widow spiders, black bears, coyotes, skunks etc... In the UK, we have only a fraction of the variety of wildlife. Total respect to anyone who lives in the woods with the howling wolves. ๐Ÿบ

We don't really have any wildlife that would make you check your boots before putting them on, or think twice before lifting firewood from the pile. When I was a kid my mother used to tell me stories about spookie things, like Will o' the wisp or the banshee. I think it's a country thing to tell such stories. In the absence of rattlesnakes and mountain lions, I suppose ghost stories and the likes kept me enthrawled, especially as the late autumn days drew in.

That said, I was walking recently near a forest on the edge of Loch Ness. I heard the most unearthly, prehistoric, screeching sound from deep amongst the pines. I have never heard such a noise and would not like to meet the creature that made it. Just sayin'...
Be careful Stewart! Your view is certainly spectacular.

Well, I've never seen Ol' Nessie but I've seen bears (black) wolves, bobcats, coyotes, rattlesnakes, etc. in the wild here in Wisconsin, but I have yet to see a cougar (mountain lion) although I have seen pictures. And I lost a perfectly good Camry by hitting a deer once that appeared out of the fog on the highway.

Unfortunately there seem to be more bear attacks recently (in the US) as people encroach on their turf and they lose their fear.... Not a good thing.

Last edited:
Probably ghost of an old Scottish tuned accordionist.. I'd have been mighty scared too...๐Ÿคฃ

Probably ghost of an old Scottish tuned accordionist.. I'd have been mighty scared too...๐Ÿคฃ
Gentle and peaceful folk of the Accordionists Forum, in these dark autumn days I must confess to enjoying this light accordion fun - it is a real tonic. However, I must say that not even the widest 27 cent Scottish musette could have mustered the screech I heard that day. It is imprinted on my mind, and besides, an accordion playing ghost would surely be a benign spirit?

No, this eerie, otherworldly noise was far worse and bloodcurdling. This is no tale of Nessie nor of cunning water kelpie. I sense something far more terrible ... Local folk many decades ago heard tell of a strange and hideous magic on the Loch. But I must stop there, as I would not wish you to be frightened. Maybe one day I will elaborate...

In the meantime, I leave you with something far more frightening than a Scottish tuned accordion. Beware the phantom music of the CBA.๐Ÿ‘ป

Don't have nightmares...

Last edited:
Back