• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Aww... here's Peggy. Got a picture of your pet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Meet Peggy: We lost our previous dog a couple of years ago and weve just rescued a French Bulldog brood bitch from a breeder cos shes retired, too old at 7 years.
Here she is having a well earned snooze in the Spring sunshine after her lunch...

Attachments

• Peg in sunshine2..jpg
    Peg in sunshine2..jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 2,200
I was going to make some corny comments about the language barrier, are you brushing up your French or do you communicate with signals, does she mind your PA playing if she prefers button diatonic, that sort of thing, but I won't now.
She looks quite contented ...I was going to say she appears to have landed on her feet, but the photo shows that is not the case. :roll:

Peggy certainly looks contented, which is exactly how she should be.

I sometimes despair of the human race, especially when they mistreat or exploit animals. Brenda & I used to rescue Greyhounds, and have given a good home to quite a few over the years. The love and care we have given them has been repaid ten fold, and we have absolutely no regrets about sharing our home with these gentle and loving creatures.

My current dog is Barney, who is now reaching the end of a very long and mostly happy life. Barney will be 17 next month which, though not unique, is quite unusual. He was rescued by the RSPCA in an emaciated state, but decent food and attention soon had him in tip-top condition.

Barney is now mostly blind, and his hearing is not what it was. His legs don't always appear to be attached to his brain, which causes him to fall over on occasions. He still enjoys his food and his walks, but is not keen on the rain.

When Barney goes, Brenda and I have decided that we will not replace him. We are getting too old to properly look after a dog, besides which we have many plans for our leisure time.

Stephen Hawkins.

My mate Zak, courtesy of the RSPCA ...worse than a Labrador for eating things he shouldnt. I was taking an old accordion apart and left the straps on the floor ...thought he was being quiet :shock:

Attachments

• Zak 99.jpg
    Zak 99.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 2,170
I commend all of you. Stephen H. There is an organisation here in Oz that only rescues greyhounds. We have had a number of rescue cats (kittens) and I would love a dog but I am worried about the commitment. Then of-course you love them but they eventually die.
Zak looks a delight bosca...as does Peggy Soulsaver.

Stephen, the human race...you just have to remember two things;
1. People are no damn good
2. There are two kinds of people in the world, those who let you down and those who are going to let you down.

Stephen Hawkins said:
I sometimes despair of the human race, especially when they mistreat or exploit animals. ...

We awoke yesterday to news on the TV that there had been a murder in our street. These sort of things do not happen in ones lifetime. I wandered up to the end of the street where the police had set up since the previous night. One of those news pariah took my photo whilst I was talking to a policeman so now I am on the internet. Turns out the murdered woman was May, someone I know but really a friend of my wife. They used to share a seat on the bus 30 years ago when they both had to make the trek into the city for work. May was 81 years old, beaten to death with her own walking stick by some mad 49 y/o woman. The reason may never be known but the media pariah are making up some wonderful stories. May was originally from Scotland and a delightful woman.

Apologies for the thread creep. I prefer animals any day to people.

This is Mia. She is a rescue from Canadian Chihuahua Rescue and Transport (CCRT). I included the picture next to the Panther so you would have some concept of just how small she is. She always sits next to me on the bench when I practice. I dont dress up my dog but It was chilly, and when you weigh about 5 lbs. you get cold. Its great seeing so many rescue dogs here.

Attachments

• IMG_3317.jpeg
    IMG_3317.jpeg
    15.3 KB · Views: 2,145
  • 20150902_132529.jpeg
    20150902_132529.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 2,143
This is Whisky and Treacle, brother and sister. We adopted these guys as kittens from a cat rescue organisation. They carried on a bit like dogs and we trained them to come to a single whistle...theyd come racing in a million miles an hour like idiots.

Attachments

• WhiskyTreacle (Large).JPG
    WhiskyTreacle (Large).JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 2,145
We adopt retired greyhounds, and the occasional lurcher. It's difficult to get all our hounds in one photo - this one's from last November; we lost one of the babies a month later. On the sofa are Barley Bear the lurcher and Momo; Oscar in the chair on the right; on the floor from left to right Kaylah, Flynn and the dear departed Ruddy.

Attachments

• 72dpi Six asleep Nov2015.jpg
    72dpi Six asleep Nov2015.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 1,331
Stephen Hawkins said:
Peggy certainly looks contented, which is exactly how she should be.

I sometimes despair of the human race, especially when they mistreat or exploit animals. Brenda & I used to rescue Greyhounds, and have given a good home to quite a few over the years. The love and care we have given them has been repaid ten fold, and we have absolutely no regrets about sharing our home with these gentle and loving creatures..
To be fair AFAIK this little dog was never mistreated, just deserves a bit of luxury in her later years.

Stephen Hawkins said:
When Barney goes, Brenda and I have decided that we will not replace him. We are getting too old to properly look after a dog, besides which we have many plans for our leisure time.

Stephen Hawkins.
Yes - that is a concern, but she loves people that much she takes instantly to everyone, so we have a lot of volunteers for when we are on holiday etc. Plus you can take them with you with the right precautions for longer European breaks. Shes being familiarised with the Mother in law with us over the Easter weekend... :( (only joking.. shes great, too :lol: )

A snooze in the middle of the day – that’s unheard of.
We have to go to work in all sorts of weather, prepare breakfast, get rid of the garden pests, cut the grass, dig the garden, and then do the weeding, all for a few measly handfuls of grain. We are the ones who deserve a rest.

Attachments

• WP_20150809_12_18_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150809_12_18_19_Pro.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 2,234
  • WP_20150812_14_39_13_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150812_14_39_13_Pro.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 2,234
truthinbeer said:
They must feel like they are in heaven Anyanka. Whats a lurcher?

Lurchers are a cross of any sighthound with any working dog - e.g. greyhound & border collie, or saluki & labrador- so they come in a multitude of shapes and sizes. The idea is to get the speed of the sighthound but the stamina and sturdiness of the working dog, mostly for poaching.... They are very popular with travellers, and unfortunately often mistreated and abandoned.

Our Barley is probably partly German Wirehaired Pointer was found as a stray with a severe cut to her leg, and handed in to my vets. On the day that I brought some greyhounds in for vaccinations, only two months after wed lost our first lurcher. :shock: Definitely fate. She has old cigarette burn scars on the back of her neck, and was very scruffy and skinny. Shes definitely been abused, but shes still a really trusting, affectionate girl - and a good Morris mascotas seen here on Boxhill on May Day.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/Anyanka_J/May Day 15_zps4dcrsidz.jpg[/img][/url]

artelagro said:
A snooze in the middle of the day – that’s unheard of.
We have to go to work in all sorts of weather, prepare breakfast, get rid of the garden pests, cut the grass, dig the garden, and then do the weeding, all for a few measly handfuls of grain. We are the ones who deserve a rest.
Ah .. its them talking.

Anyway... They can go to work on an egg, Garth ...!
PS Hope you & the chucks are well.

Nice people rescue unfortunate animals, and I'm pleased to know that there are so many nice people on this site.

The story of the murdered lady in Australia proves the point I made in my earlier comment.

On this site, only Graham (Bocsa) knows my antecedent history, though others may have guessed. Suffice to say that I have attended and investigated many murders, violent assaults, rapes, stabbings, the whole gambit.

Many years of dealing with the dregs of humanity have given me a wisdom which has served me very well. I am prepared to trust people, but I can spot a crook from a mile away. I can assess a person's character almost instantly, and have never been very far out.

Brenda & I have rescued or fostered a great many dogs. These were mainly Greyhounds & Lurchers, but we have also rescued German Shepard's and Mutts. Barney is a Mutt, but a very intelligent one. He has outlived at least half a dozen other dogs, though I fear his days are numbered.

I share many of the sentiments expressed in this thread. Dogs have never hurt me, or even tried to, but people do seem inclined to cause pain to others.

Stephen Hawkins.

I can confirm that Graham was never one of my customers, and that I know nothing about him which would cause me any professional concern. He is not, to the best of my knowledge, a criminal mastermind, nor does he feature on Interpol's most wanted list.

The only offence he has committed is of a sartorial nature, but I am aware of no legislation which outlaws Morris Dancing costumes. I quite like the hats and clogs, but the stuff in-between is a bit iffy. Come to think of it, I'm not all that keen on the hats. (except for comic value)

Still, Morris costumes are far nicer than the ceremonial costumes worn by Greek Soldiers. Now they really are hilarious, with little pom-poms on the ends of their curled up slippers. (Apologies to any Greek Soldiers reading this.)

Anyway, Graham is one of the good guys.

Stephen Hawkins.

Here's another pic of our Peggy:

Attachments

• Peg in the kitchen Mar 2016.jpg
    Peg in the kitchen Mar 2016.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 2,199
She's a cutie! Thanks for starting this thread, by the way. There seems to be a faint statistical link between sighthounds & squeezeboxes :tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back