• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

WNA1100-RL for the FR-8... anyone know of an alternative?

joden

Reaction score
WNA1100RL is now discontinued, as is the Netgear unit it was based on. Any ideas for an alternative that works?

I know I can find these types of adapters anywhere, but sometimes Roland is "finicky" with what works and what doesn't.

This looks like a bluetooth wireless connection. I really like Roland products but like many manufacturers they often re-brand generic products and then sell them for a substantial mark-up. When I purchased my FR8X the manual strongly suggested to only use a Roland branded USB key which cost $79 and my name brand USB for under $10 works just fine. Perhaps you can try using another product.

This looks like a bluetooth wireless connection. I really like Roland products but like many manufacturers they often re-brand generic products and then sell them for a substantial mark-up. When I purchased my FR8X the manual strongly suggested to only use a Roland branded USB key which cost $79 and my name brand USB for under $10 works just fine. Perhaps you can try using another product.
According to the manual (I happen to have downloaded the Dutch edition), it's wi-fi, not Bluetooth. - But yes, the "RL" in "WNA1100-RL" may point to a "Roland" edition of the Netgear "WNA1100" dongle.

According to the manual (I happen to have downloaded the Dutch edition), it's wi-fi, not Bluetooth. - But yes, the "RL" in "WNA1100-RL" may point to a "Roland" edition of the Netgear "WNA1100" dongle.
Sorry about the misidentification , but I still stand behind my point regarding manufacturers overcharging for perriferals. As long as the parameters meet the requirements, I don't think that you absolutely need to purchase the exact brand. Jerry PH has a number of posts on how to connect your Fr8x to wifi and I defer to his expertise

The only reason to attach a WNA1100-RL, is so you’ll be able to use wireless compatible applications such as the “Air Recorder” iPhone app. Since the Air Recorder app is discontinued about 5 years now and no longer available, AND there are many other better ways to capture the 8X, it makes needing the wireless adapter... useless.

Another take on this: what would you try to achieve?

If you would just want to make your accordion heard wirelessly, you could likely use a pair of wireless audio adapters (the guitar things with a 1/4" TS jack). Or two pairs for stereo. - I'm having my FR-1xb at hand to try this, but I've just received another toy. ;-)

UPDATE: Yes, this works: apparently no impendance issues. - However, such a "dongle" on the bottom side of an accordion sits in an unsafe and uncomfortable position, notably when you're seated while playing. Using a short extension cable (or two for stereo...) would allow one to mobe it to a safer position. - The wireless adapters I used are (among) the cheapest on AliExpress. They may come under different brands, but their type is "A8". These are among the many devices using the 2.4GHz frequencies, so you could have a Plan B to purchase far more expensive adapters that use the 5GHz band. - If I'm not mistaken, the Receivers of these "A8" adapters can be set to merge signals several matching Transmitters (set to transmit on the same of four "channels"), and several Receivers can be set to one Transmitter (like one on a PA-system and on a monitor). Just remember to switch the Transmitters on before the Receivers.

Last edited:
Another take on this: what would you try to achieve?

If you would just want to make your accordion heard wirelessly, you could likely use a pair of wireless audio adapters (the guitar things with a 1/4" TS jack). Or two pairs for stereo. - I'm having my FR-1xb at hand to try this, but I've just received another toy. ;-)

UPDATE: Yes, this works: apparently no impendance issues. - However, such a "dongle" on the bottom side of an accordion sits in an unsafe and uncomfortable position, notably when you're seated while playing. Using a short extension cable (or two for stereo...) would allow one to mobe it to a safer position. - The wireless adapters I used are (among) the cheapest on AliExpress. They may come under different brands, but their type is "A8". These are among the many devices using the 2.4GHz frequencies, so you could have a Plan B to purchase far more expensive adapters that use the 5GHz band. - If I'm not mistaken, the Receivers of these "A8" adapters can be set to merge signals several matching Transmitters (set to transmit on the same of four "channels"), and several Receivers can be set to one Transmitter (like one on a PA-system and on a monitor). Just remember to switch the Transmitters on before the Receivers.

Yes jerryph (think it was him) made a big deal of some sort of wireless system he was using with the BK-7, however when I asked WHAT he was using, no response.

I am using a Swiff Audio wireless device, just mono, but with the extra space on the 8, I might get a second one and run stereo. Could not really find either a stereo combo, or a smaller one than the Swiff tbh.

As for MIDI, the WIDI-Master devices work very well, with minimal to no latency. At this stage no MIDI is being used (outside sustain from the FC-300). Roand have made the clever decision to ensure sustain messages coming IN to the FR can only be via a pair of sysex strings, or to be more specific, it does not "see" the CC64 via a MIDI connection.
I assume it can internally, as you can set either a function switch or chin switch to sustain (then again, that may also be sysex). However it SENDS CC64.
Forcing users to buy the FC-300 if you want sustain for orchestra voices. I haven't come across a smaller foot pedal that can transmit one sysex string for on and then another for off. Anyhoo, that is another issue haha!

Yes jerryph (think it was him) made a big deal of some sort of wireless system he was using with the BK-7, however when I asked WHAT he was using, no response.
You're too lazy to even do a search either here or on Youtube, I took months to pull together and test my setup and make a huge video and web page explaining it... go find it, its there out in the public, your days of being spoon fed... done! :D

I intended to quote:
<quote>You're too lazy to even do a search either here or on Youtube, I took months to pull together and test my setup and make a huge video and web page explaining it... go find it, its there out in the public, your days of being spoon fed... done! :D

My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com
</quote>

LOL (maybe prematurely)

Back