• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Does anyone make their own accordion straps?

MasonHerb

Reaction score
I've wound up in the age-old situation of too many boxes, not enough straps. I figure it would be best to obtain a set or two rather than swapping straps between them all.

My question is, does anyone make their own and if so, what materials are you using? I've never worked with leather in a capacity beyond reed leathers, but I am willing to learn if it saves me some "accordion funds" in the long run.

The follow-up question is if it is worth the hassle to create a set, or just bite the proverbial bullet and buy a decent set.

Thanks all,
Herb

I didn't make my own but I had an old PanCordion with a ruined bass strap that needed redone. I removed it and took it to an Amish saddle maker in Pennsylvania who said he could duplicate it and he did a great job - actually better than the
original ever was. Might check to see if you have a local tack and harness maker shop in your area.

I didn't make my own but I had an old PanCordion with a ruined bass strap that needed redone. I removed it and took it to an Amish saddle maker in Pennsylvania who said he could duplicate it and he did a great job - actually better than the
original ever was. Might check to see if you have a local tack and harness maker shop in your area.
I hadn't thought of that! We have a few communities down here. Thank you for the advice!

These days, there's so much variety of choice at very reasonable prices available literally at your fingertips (computer keyboard) that it's hardly worth the bother of messing with DIY, unless you're masochistic.🤔
Search around and go for it!!🙂

Many, many years ago I've done a bit of leatherwork, and since then I have very high personal standards for the leather goods I buy.
The Italian factory-made stuff you get for under 100 EUR, imho, is very good value for money, so I wouldn't bother making your own, unless you really want to get into leather carving (however, a set of good carving tools will set you back well over $500 these days, and that's used tools prices:cry:). There's also the issue of padding, which is simple to do, but is rather boring and time consuming.

I've made wrist straps for my bandoneon, but that was a quick & dirty job because I had the leather scraps and it was easier and quicker to make them myself than wait for them to be delivered from Europe.

If you really want to save funds, you can get cheap Chinese straps from artificial leather. They look, feel & smell a bit more like cheap BDSM gear than accordion straps, but they seem to do the job just as well as the fancy Italian stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_4993s (1).JPG
    IMG_4993s (1).JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 7
I bought a cheap strap from Amazon - £20 ish - but it's a little slippy so I roughly stitched some scrap leather along the length in contact with my shoulders and back - worked well.......not the most beautiful. I cannot get backstraps comfortable

Thank you all for your comments... some of them more interesting than others :ROFLMAO:. I think I'll follow the consensus and just spend the money on a proper pair. Unfortunately, that takes away from my project accordion buying fund!

If I were going to make my own straps (which I have pondered), I would try making them like the flat ones BaldonI sold. The did not have padding like typical accordion straps, but they were wide and cut with an unusual contour that seems to be ergonomic for shoulders. I have them on a few of my accordions and they are VERY comfortable.

Wondering whether a "straight" cut strap would find its own curve over time.........When I buy/make a belt it's always straight, then it conforms to the muffin top it has to go around.......

If you do decide to make your own I agree with the advice to go to a good leather shop - there are a couple of excellent shops not far from me in a small Mennonite community, where I’ve bought leather and had a few saddle-related things made - quite reasonable cost.

But last year when I got my first accordion my mentor, tech, and teacher took one look at the old straps on it and ordered an Italian set, wider, shaped for the shoulders (and included a back strap). They were SO much better than the originals. They weren’t free, of course, but I think well worth the cost.

JKJ

I make my own bass straps when I dont have the size I need on hand. I am lucky in that a leather warehouse in town was closing down last year and I could get belt blanks and large saddle scrap for about $2.50 a lb. I also make Post Apoc cosplay armor on the side and this is a boon.
I repair old straps if the problem is a broken end tail, otherwise the old buckle hardware gets used for the armor since it looks old.
In the US "Ohio Travel bag" is a great resource , hey have all the hardware for repairing cases plus snaps,rivets and other hardware.

I repair old straps if the problem is a broken end tail, otherwise the old buckle hardware gets used for the armor since it looks old.
One of the original, leather shoulder straps that came with a 1950s Scandalli cracked through the leather. I riveted a suitable scrap of leather to bridge the crack, as a temporary measure.
It's been temporary for about 30+ years already!😀

I cannot get backstraps comfortable
I make my own using one of those webbing straps you get with a holdall sometimes.
On the "female part of the buckle I cut the webbing so that it reaches the centre of my back with enough length to make a loop round the left strap and sew it leaving space for the strap to slide up and down the strap. I then do the same with the other part whic has the adjuster on it and sew that length round the right strap.
This allows you to fasten the buckle and then slide it up to a comfortable position.

Back