• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Wide, Leather accordion shoulder and bass straps with cloth padding

Surely the top photo is of shoulder straps, only the second photo is a back strap.
I made my own from a spare strap I had lying around. Just cut to the appropriate length and sewed a loop to each end.Back strap.jpg

Surely the top photo is of shoulder straps, only the second photo is a back strap.
I made my own from a spare strap I had lying around. Just cut to the appropriate length and sewed a loop to each end.
The top photo was of (the longer part of the) shoulder straps with a back strap with metal fasteners attached. The suggestion was that these metal curved rings would be easier to fasten (behind your back where you cannot see) than the plastic clips. But my experience and that of my friends is that the clips are easier. Your picture shows your diy version of the back strap with the same type of clips.

Ah, thanks debra, my mistake. Looking more closely at the photo, I see that the buckle part to attach to the accordion is looped over and out of sight. I had assumed that the metal fasteners were a means that I hadn't seen before to attach to the accordion.

Both my accordions have back straps with the plastic-type clip, and I think it works very well. But on one of them, the back strap is in a fixed position—basically it is part of the shoulder strap assembly—while the other one is a separate strap that attaches to the shoulder straps and can slide up/down to adjust vertically as well as horizontally. I prefer the one that is a separate strap because of the ability to adjust it vertically.
My Roland Fr8x came with the back strap but it fixed to the shoulder straps which means that although there is a plastic clip, it's fastened permanently which reduces the adjustability. To top it off it's not centered so closing it is very awkward. My original shoulder straps are still in great condition so it would be wasteful to replace them, so I soldier on.....

Which type of back straps do people prefer? I'm looking to get some new straps soon as I need some bigger/comfier ones!

I have seen these 2 styles mostly and I imagine the second would be

Nice design, but way overpriced for what it is. I guess that's just a sign of modern times... Even is the strip of fabric costs $1 and the few plastic parts $5 together... this strap could easily sell for under $10... And what you could also do is go to a charity used-goods shop and buy an old backpack for $5 from which you can easily salvage 3 of these straps...

Back