• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Why does the 12 chord blues progression work sometimes?

Mike t.

Reaction score
I’m wondering if one of the gurus here might have some insight for me, I play mostly fiddle old-timey music from the jams I attend. The other night a lady played a tune I had never heard, called “Panhandle Rag” Later, I found a simple sheet of the song by Leon McAuliffe? with chords in the key of D. I found that the song lends itself to playing it with the 12 chord blues chord progression. Other than just trying that chord progression in every song, can a person just look at a song and say, the 12 chords should fit? Some songs just stand out, like say, Milk Cow Blues, In The Mood… what makes it work? For me, trial and error?

Try counting the bars....😉
Most Western music or Jazz/Blues seems to follow one of three basic formats...
12 bar blues.... generally 2 statements over the first sections of 4 bars and then a resolution statement over the last 4 bars.....(The last two bars are called a turnaround and allow plenty of space for artistic interpretation)
Or 32 bar arrangements are another popular standard....this is generally formatted by 2 x A sections comprising of 8 bars...followed by different 8 bar section (the B section) that offers a sort of musical interlude before returning to another 8 bar A section...
So AABA is a common format...
Another common structure is again 32 bars but comprising of 2 x 16 bar sequences....
Other blues formats also exist in New Orleans an 8 bar sequence is the preferred arrangement and has a funky faster feel about it's changes...
Or a larger 16 bar with a turnaround at end is popular...
You'll gradually develop a hearing for these formats and find you'll have a general mental picture of where you are in the progression just by feel...
Often to in developing tunes someone may call out A or B just to keep players clear of direction...
Hope that helps

Try counting the bars....😉
Most Western music or Jazz/Blues seems to follow one of three basic formats...
12 bar blues.... generally 2 statements over the first sections of 4 bars and then a resolution statement over the last 4 bars.....(The last two bars are called a turnaround and allow plenty of space for artistic interpretation)
Or 32 bar arrangements are another popular standard....this is generally formatted by 2 x A sections comprising of 8 bars...followed by different 8 bar section (the B section) that offers a sort of musical interlude before returning to another 8 bar A section...
So AABA is a common format...
Another common structure is again 32 bars but comprising of 2 x 16 bar sequences....
Other blues formats also exist in New Orleans an 8 bar sequence is the preferred arrangement and has a funky faster feel about it's changes...
Or a larger 16 bar with a turnaround at end is popular...
You'll gradually develop a hearing for these formats and find you'll have a general mental picture of where you are in the progression just by feel...
Often to in developing tunes someone may call out A or B just to keep players clear of direction...
Hope that helps
Thank you it does!

I’m wondering if one of the gurus here might have some insight for me, I play mostly fiddle old-timey music from the jams I attend. The other night a lady played a tune I had never heard, called “Panhandle Rag” Later, I found a simple sheet of the song by Leon McAuliffe? with chords in the key of D. I found that the song lends itself to playing it with the 12 chord blues chord progression. Other than just trying that chord progression in every song, can a person just look at a song and say, the 12 chords should fit? Some songs just stand out, like say, Milk Cow Blues, In The Mood… what makes it work? For me, trial and error?
Wow that is a good tune. Never heard it before . I would like to see the sheet music or know where to buy a copy . Thanks for bringing it to my attention

Hello Mike t. Thanks so much for the link you are very kind and it is most appreciated .
Once again many thanks .

Back